Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until 2 days ago I was a happy VN900 Classic owner. Then an impatient 18 year old driving his mother's Volvo hit me. I'm ok, a few aches & pains but the bike's totaled. I know I'm going to "get back on the horse" and am thinking of either another 900 or perhaps a nomad.
The 900 was the only bike I've ever ridden except for the Rebel 250 in class. I'm 61 and got my license at 59.
How different will it feel to ride the nomad?

By the way the Volvo was on my right on a side street, traffic was heavy so I was doing all of 10-15 mph. I had eye contact with the driver for about 5 seconds and then he pulls out in front of me. I hit his drivers side near the bumper. 2 witnesses told the police it was his fault and he admitted it.

Oh well, such is life.

Miles

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Glad u were not hurt seriously.......Good 2 hear u r getting back in the saddle....Both the 900 and the Nomad r great bikes......I have owned both and have nothing but good 2 say about either one......Take care and good luck with your new bike purchase....Terry.....:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry for the spill. Cagers get worse every year it seams. I don't think you'll have much trouble with the Nomad at all. It's definitely a little heavier and it isn't quite as nimble in the corners as a 900 but it's (in my opinion) more comfortable than the 900 and if you are planning on riding 2 up you'll love it. Enough power to ride 2 up plus loaded down with supplies, ect, and will still have power to spare. If you don't plan on doing allot of 2 up and you find the 900 comfortable, you might want to stick with it. Gas mileage is another factor. I'm not sure what your getting on the 900 but I'm sure it's def more than you'll get on the Nomad. I'd go for the Nomad, but that's just me. You'll be happy either way. Shiny side up = All is good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Miles,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but that you will be fine is the important part.

I can't directly address the Nomad, but if you were comfortable with the 900, its weight, and handling, the jump to a larger displacement cruiser style bike should not be any big step.

It would be heavier most likely, but not any more diffucult to ride in general, plus have better acceleration, without being in the league of a sportbikes quickness.

I am older than you and ride a 900 as well as a 600cc sportbike (11.28 quarter mile at 122 mph quick), so you need not let age hold you back. You will be fine.

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Sorry about the spill, as far as a larger bike, most loose their weight once you start moving, i find its usually tight manouvers that the weight becomes more apparent, ie in the garage, parking lots etc, once your rolling they shed pounds quickly. Buy what you heart likes, your paying 4 it , your riding it.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Don't have a 900 but I do have a Honda 1100 and the Nomad. My Honda handles a ton better at slow speeds but the Nomad requires extra effort. The Nomad shines once up to speed, it just wants to cruise all day. Handles windy days and passing trucks with ease.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Stupid drivers, I've had more than one look straight at me and still pull out. Oh well.

I had a guy walk up to me at the gas station while I was filling my tank. He asked it fit was a 900 and is considering going down from his Nomad to the 900. he said he was 69 and his legs weren't up to the weight anymore. He also has a Connie, shich his mechanic had up to 182 at the strip last weekend, he claimed.

The LT is not quite a Nomad, but it is quite a bit lighter. Turtle47 on the BTK board has Nomad bags on his. Wow those look nice.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Stupid drivers, I've had more than one look straight at me and still pull out. Oh well.

I had a guy walk up to me at the gas station while I was filling my tank. He asked it fit was a 900 and is considering going down from his Nomad to the 900. he said he was 69 and his legs weren't up to the weight anymore. He also has a Connie, shich his mechanic had up to 182 at the strip last weekend, he claimed.

The LT is not quite a Nomad, but it is quite a bit lighter. Turtle47 on the BTK board has Nomad bags on his. Wow those look nice.
I had a similar experience at the local coffee shop the other week. A guy came over, asked if it was a 1500 (of course) and said he owned a 1600. It sat in his garage for two years, said it was "too big". He liked my nine and said he was gonna switch. I have often read that no-one wishes they bought a smaller bike,,,,,but I think our nine's might be the exception.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Now on the bikes don't make the mistake to lean just on advise. Go to your local dealers and most likely they will let you test drive pretty much any used bike. Who knows, maybe you'll find other brands more comfortable to your needs.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Now on the bikes don't make the mistake to lean just on advise. Go to your local dealers and most likely they will let you test drive pretty much any used bike. Who knows, maybe you'll find other brands more comfortable to your needs.
Good Advice! lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate your input.
What am I going to buy? Leaning towards a 900 LT, although a 900 with Nomad bags sounds very interesting. I'll mull it over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts