Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets not talk about windshield brands or models specifically. Lets take this from a troubleshooting perspective. Looking for tips and tricks to resolve or diagnose my buffeting issues with my windshield(s) as I have tried multiple. Lets assume I have purchased the proper height windshield. So how did you or would you troubleshoot your buffeting issues. Did you moved the windshield up and down? Did you install spacers to change the pitch of the shield? Anything else? Seems like if it doesn't work, and the height is correct, then that's about all you can do. Maybe folks with more windshield experience might have some insight?

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Raised my stock windshield UP to the top of the adjustability range. Helmet buffet - if that's what you're asking about - disappeared. I am now mostly "look thru" but if I sit just a little straighter I can see right over it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wider

I went with a wider shield with a different shape.
I added lowers.
Works great.

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I first started riding my 900, I was getting quite a bit of buffeting. I installed lowers and also lowered the windshield by about a 1/2". It took care of 99% of the buffeting, but I was not sitting correctly (remember my post about back pain, lol?). Now that I am sitting correctly, I feel that I need to raise the shield about an 1/8-1/4" because I am now getting some buffeting over top of the shield.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called and spoke to the manufacturer's customer service. They advised that the buffeting is coming from down below. Makes sense and I have heard this from others. What doesn't make sense is that the buffeting is actually worse when the lowers are installed. The lady I spoke with suggested moving the lowers up and down a bit to find the sweet spot. I suppose that is something I haven't tried, but I have little hope it will solve the issue.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Keep moving them around.

The 'test' for buffeting caused by lower wind is your arm. Find a straight road, get up to speed, and put your hand out over the front of the fuel tank, and move it around. You'll probably notice changes, and even improvements, to buffeting on that side. Move the lowers and get that wind to calm down.

What's happening is that you have all this high speed wind all around you and then this low-pressure zone behind the windshield, and that high pressure air is rushing in there to fill the gap. Creating turbulence. It'll never go away entirely, but lowers help reduce it and make it not so violent. The shape of a fairing helps a lot but even fairings aren't perfect. Buffeting is just a part of riding a motorcycle with a windshield in an upright position. But it can be made manageable.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell where it's coming from on my bike. On mine it comes from below the windshield. I can tell by using my hand to block it. It's also worse if I wear my full face helmet. My advice would be to buy a quick release windshield set up. i.e. National Cycle or MS. Start with the biggest shield and work your way down. Most start with the smallest shield and work their way up. Which is cool too if you have the time.

I had the MS lowers on a 900 a few years ago. They didn't help me at all. Some swear by them. Some buffeting is just part of it. When I say buffeting I mean blurred vision. Not just me being a wee bit uncomfortable. Are you having blurred vision at all?

If you have MS Trigger Lock, try the MS Fats 21".

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty easy to tell where it's coming from on my bike. On mine it comes from below the windshield. I can tell by using my hand to block it. It's also worse if I wear my full face helmet. My advice would be to buy a quick release windshield set up. i.e. National Cycle or MS. Start with the biggest shield and work your way down. Most start with the smallest shield and work their way up. Which is cool too if you have the time.

I had the MS lowers on a 900 a few years ago. They didn't help me at all. Some swear by them. Some buffeting is just part of it. When I say buffeting I mean blurred vision. Not just me being a wee bit uncomfortable. Are you having blurred vision at all?

If you have MS Trigger Lock, try the MS Fats 21".
Anything above 65mph is teeth rattling and vision blurring. Tried with the lowers on and off. I have the 19" with trigger lock now, and I look through the top inch unless I sit up very straight then I can just barely see over. I may need the 21 after my new seat comes in. Broke down and ordered the mustang touring today. I will try the arm/hand trick again and see if I can make any sense of where the air is coming from. Determined to make this work for me. All I really want is to get the wind off my chest so my back quits hurting on longer high speed rides.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you have a different helmet, try that as well. I'm 6'2" and on my classic I had the MS 21". I could see over that shield as it was right at my nose. Only experienced blurred vision once but that was during a really strong head wind. It could be your helmet.

I have the NC Switchblade 2 up on my 900 Custom now. I also have the Mustang Daytripper Seat. With that combo I look completely thru the shield and any buffeting I get comes at highway speeds but only in a cross wind or swirling wind. Other than that it's pretty good. I think the NC is a better product than the MS, but that's just an opinion. I had good luck with both.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was getting buffeting with my windshield in my chest and neck area with lowers,I was looking over the top about a inch or so,if it was really cold,I would put my arm sideways across my chest to get rid of it.I got a MS bat wing and it took almost all the chest/neck buffeting away.I am going to get a little taller windshield on the batwing as I am getting air over the top,its a 5-6 inch and I think I will try a 9 or 12 inch

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone think that engine guard chaps would help? Seems to me if the air is coming up from below that would almost half to eliminate that issue...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Does anyone think that engine guard chaps would help? Seems to me if the air is coming up from below that would almost half to eliminate that issue...
Nope. I use 'em when it's cold out.
Lot's of heat. Too much heat on a nice day though.
Windshield should be below your eyes so as to not look through it.
It can also stand to be wider. Mine's 28" wide.
Windshield angle makes a big difference.
The angle,height,width,and position of the lowers all act together to break the wind.
It is a motorcycle,not a car,so you should savor some wind.

JJ

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a motorcycle,not a car,so you should savor some wind.

JJ
Wind is not my problem, I love it. In fact I would continue to ride with no windshield and be completely happy except I have a particular 400 mile ride planned and I know that after 8 hours my back will get tired of fighting that wind. I think its time to order the smallest shield I can find just to take the wind off my chest. Hopefully that will not cause buffeting. Anyone ever get that café shield for the custom to fit on a classic?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sorry to read the 19" Fats did not work for you.I have had good luck with my 21" Fats.I like the engine guard chaps,not because they help buffeting,but because they keep the wind off my legs.No more pant legs flapping in the wind!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, decided that the third time is either going to be the charm or somebody is going to get a deal on a used shield. Just ordered a MS speed demon and a plates only kit. If this doesn't do it, I'm going shield-less until they come out with a sportbike looking shield for the 900 classic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts