Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a half helmet to wear on the hot summer days, i would just go without a helmet at all but there are a lot of dumb drivers up here in North Dakota with all the construction trucks and semi drivers that think they own the road. so because of these drivers that don't care about others on the road i feel like i'm forced to wear a helmet but my full face helmet i pissing me off and i want your advice on a half helmet, are they uncomfortable? do they try to pull up in the wind, even with a windshield on the bike? any advice you have will help me.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I just went to a half helmet this Spring. Like it so far. Mine is pretty light. I've got some pretty good prescription sun glasses that keeps most of the wind out of my eyes. I haven't been caught out in the rain yet; I understand that stings. It is pretty comfortable. I don't think it will provide as much protection as my modular, but it is cooler. I bought a polo style off of ebay; has a little bill built in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just my opinion: a half helmet aint like a full face Shoie or Modular, they all probably protect the same and if they are dot, then they are dot. My Modular is a shoei neotec, and even in the heat I'd wear that on the interstate for logging miles. But around town and local the heat was killing me. I bought the $45 "FUEL" half helmet from Wally world, and it's not bad.

And no helmet is going to do anything for you if you get hit by a cummins at 65MPH. The helmet is for when you dump at 20 MPH hit your head on the ground, get up and are pissed off instead of DEAD.

Or to put it another way: above 45 MPH crashes are bad and maybe survivable even with full riding gear and full face helmets. Helmets are for the under 45mph crashes that are 99% survivable with a helmet and 1% survivable without. Again, just an opinion, but the only place I'll ride without a helmet on is my backyard and that 50 feet wide and under < 5mph kind of place! :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a half helmet to wear on the hot summer days, i would just go without a helmet at all but there are a lot of dumb drivers up here in North Dakota with all the construction trucks and semi drivers that think they own the road. so because of these drivers that don't care about others on the road i feel like i'm forced to wear a helmet but my full face helmet i pissing me off and i want your advice on a half helmet, are they uncomfortable? do they try to pull up in the wind, even with a windshield on the bike? any advice you have will help me.:confused:
Keep these suggestions in mind when wearing a half helmet. Wear it low on your forehead and the chin strap snug to keep it from rolling back when at speed. Wear ear plugs or cotton balls to keep the wind noise from damaging your hearing. If I'm going out on the highway with my half helmet I will wear my Buff to give a little protection from grit and bugs.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I wear a helmet like this http://www.vegahelmet.com/xta.html all the time.

It was bought to replace a cheaper brand that looks exactly the same that was destroyed last year.

As the others have stated, they are not going to preotect you from a direct impact, but the above one saved my noodle in an 80 mph crash on the interstate. My point being, even a half helmet is better than no helmet, not saying you are going to ride without one, just wanted to state my opinion. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Fulmer half helmet that I wear most of the time. It's DOT approved and has plenty of padding. It does try to pull off of my head when I'm riding without a windshield, but no problems when riding with a windshield. I think it pulls a little bit because the padding makes a wider edge for the wind to catch. Yes, rain stings your face and fog-proof glasses are a must! Shop around and try on lots of different helmets until you find one you like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the Vega half helmet also. I find that its really light and not as bulky as others "mushroom". Its the only helmet I own and I ride year round. besides its the only one that fit my odd shaped melon really well and its DOT approved

·
Registered
357 Posts
I to switched to a half-helmet for hotter days (still use FF during spring/fall cooler mornings). I got a Speed and Strength matte model and it's one size smaller than my FF. always try it on to make sure it fits your head shape and doesn't pull off easily.

most of my riding is work commute and slower speeds but I will put in ear-buds on the highway as I don't have a windshield to stop the buffeting.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Most people don't cinch the strap tight enough and the half helmet falls off in a crash.
All half helmets (not beenies) are dot.
Companies like Shoei make nicer,higher quality ones.
Arai won't even make one since they feel that they do little to protect you in a crash.

JJ

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hmm Scorpion EXO-900 Helmet will let you go from full face to 3/4

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Daytona Half Helmet;
Great fit, very small profile, great padding, and the Lightest on the Market, it is DOT approved. Love mine, it also has a built in pull down face shield that is hidden within the helmet when raised.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i love half helmets there fine in a crash mine held up ! check out crazy Al's smallest dot approved helmet great lid for the price

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wear a scorpion EXO 100, one of my important considerations is eye protection. I always have the shield lowered. I had to buy a clear lens for the morning.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a Pitt Boss by Bell. Great helmet and doesn't ride off at high speeds. It comes with an adjuster that is similar to a bicycle helmet, but I cut mine off. Highly recommend, DOT approved.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have two of these Outlaw half helmets. They are quite comfortable, and the T-72 model has a cool drop down visor. For less than $50.00 you can't do much better. They have a good selection and cool graphics. http://www.leatherup.com/c/Outlaw-Helmets/2/131.html

If you like higher end models my wife and I both have Bell's. I wear a Drifter DLX and my wife wears a "Pit Boss", with a drop down visor. The Pit Boss is the most comfortable half helmet of all, but at over $120.00 it ought to be. Very nice. The Bell's run small. My hat size is a 7 1/4, and most brands a Medium. The Bell for me is a large however. Both of these models have a dial-in sizer that ensures snig fit.
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Bell-Half-Helmets/3/151.html

We tried the Scorpion's down at the bike shop and thought they made our heads look huge :eek:). Lots of folks do seem to like them though.

Good luck with your choice.:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I rode with a full face for 26 years before I tried a half helmet. I won't ever go back to a full face. The first time I put the full face back on due to cold weather I found that I had tunnel vision; the helmet obscures about 30% of your vision. I couldn't hear traffic noise as clearly and the whole time felt like I was about to get creamed by something I couldn't see or hear. Although I understand the fear of facial damage, I feel much safer in a half helmet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wear a vega half on my vulcan 900 lt (windshield) and a Htc full on the 500 (no windshield).

For me if was there is windshield the updraft coming under the windshield would catch the full face differently and cause sever head turbulence. Switched to half and really reduced the head buffeting. Added lowers even better.

This is subjective but I feel the wind noise is reduced with the half. May be in my head but the whistling sound doesn't seem so pronounced, plus now I can hear my passenger when they talk.

Comfort - half hands down. Not as hot easier to put on the wind in your face is great. Pulls up a little but it doesn't choke me or leave marks on my neck.

Safety - dunno but I would rather see my kid leave with his full face on than my half on. A stone to a full face gets your heart up. To a half gets your medical bills up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
El Jefe
166 Posts
I have always wore a full face helmet. I used to race off road bikes in my early days and now that I have passed the age 50, I have really gotten used to them. That being said, I am currently on the market for a half helmet myself. Not because of heat but because with my Vulcan having the speedo on the tank, I'm always having to tilt my head down to see past the chin portion of my helmet to check my speed. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a Pitt Boss by Bell. Great helmet and doesn't ride off at high speeds. It comes with an adjuster that is similar to a bicycle helmet, but I cut mine off. Highly recommend, DOT approved.
A+++ on the Pitt Boss. I love mine and it has a smaller profile so you don't look like an alien. The inside adjuster keeps it snug but comfortable and the pull down shield is great at night or in the rain.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts