Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a horror story I'm hoping I can get help with.

I rode my 96 Vulcan 750 for years and only put it away after it needed yet another carb rebuild and we moved to a much less bike friendly area. It sat in my garage with me firing it up a few times but leaked a bit of gas when it was running.

Fast forward to last month. I have moved again and am in the country with open roads begging to be ridden on. I found a guy selling a 2001 Vulcan 750 with only 300 miles on it. Story was a guy got caught cheating, wife divorced him and got the bike, and it sat in a garage. He supposedly had taken it all apart and cleaned everything. All the visible parts and the oil tank all looked immaculate.

Rode the bike, no problem... Bought the bike for 1500... Rode it about 45 miles and bike wont stay running. Guy I bought it from won't answer calls.

I took the bike into the local shop here in Conroe Texas, along with it's twin as a parts bike. The mechanic after two tries purchased the correct float kits and proceeded to rebuild my carbs on the new bike. He stated whoever did it didn't know what they were doing and two gaskets had leaks had leaks.

Today he calls me and says that both the new bike and the parts bike have broken or cracked float chambers. From what I understand that is the piece that holds the two carbs together. He told me it was part# 16020-1051 and that he didn't want to put it back together with the cracked one as it could burst into flame.

I offered to buy the part if he would install it, and he is now wanting to wash his hands of it and wants me to come pick up both bikes and pay him for time and labor. This leads me to believe he broke both parts trying to get them off incorrectly, or I have horrible luck.

Any suggestions? I'm itching to get back on the road!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oh, now I see you posted here. Ok, yeah that guy sounds a bit hokey to me, too.

Here's one place you can find parts: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/kaw/500b2c10f8700223e4793dc4/2006-vulcan-750-vn750a6f-parts

Another is e-bay.

As I mentioned in my reply to your introduction post, go into this website: www.vn750.com and see what the brain trust there thinks about it.

That website is specifically dedicated to the 750 Vulcan. Since the website is focused directly and only on the Vulcan 750, the knowledge that can be found there is very comforting to have available when maintenance issues or mechanical problems arise. I hung out there for 10 years and soaked up a ton of knowledge myself but I am not a mechanic, per say. So, while I can help you a lot, they can help totally.

Come back in here and let us know what the word is from that bunch of yahoo's (good yahoo's). For 750 folks, this is a website that is better for actually finding people to ride with.

vn750.com has got a lot of that going on too, if you live along the east coast but very few to any out from Texas westward.

You can find maintenance information here, too. I'm always willing to help out anyone and especially fellow 750 riders. In fact everyone in here is. This website covers the entire Kawasaki world, minus the sports bikes which is a third website, so you can learn all sorts of stuff about almost any bike Kawasaki makes. (The sports bikes hang out in the KawasakiWorld forum.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts