Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I am from North Dakota and I own a 2006 vulcan 900. I just got back yesterday from a tour of the Grand Canyon. I put on 3000 miles. I am feeling a little short on power especially on the interstates. My bike is custom and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a little added power. I love the bike because it fits me so well.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Aftermarket pipes, big air kit, power commander, dyno'd from around 43 hp at the rear wheel stock to a high of around 57.5 hp from a dyno sheet that was posted on here somewhere.
Remember, when you were up at the grand canyon, you were in a much higher elevation above sea level... thin air robs power...

Speed costs money ... how much you want to spend will depend on how fast you may go.

I was up there 2 years ago, 2 up, pulling a trailer on my 900 classic LT. The bike had to work a little harder in the mountains, but it sure did get the job done. I"M a cheap bastard, i have done nothing to the motor short of getting a K&N filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks for the input

I will take a look at some of those options.

Thanks.

Aftermarket pipes, big air kit, power commander, dyno'd from around 43 hp at the rear wheel stock to a high of around 57.5 hp from a dyno sheet that was posted on here somewhere.
Remember, when you were up at the grand canyon, you were in a much higher elevation above sea level... thin air robs power...

Speed costs money ... how much you want to spend will depend on how fast you may go.

I was up there 2 years ago, 2 up, pulling a trailer on my 900 classic LT. The bike had to work a little harder in the mountains, but it sure did get the job done. I"M a cheap bastard, i have done nothing to the motor short of getting a K&N filter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
was about to suggest the same myself Whiting57 but ya beat me to it! The 900 is not a powerhouse or speed demon,but it's certainly a great bike with enough power for me. I also have a 2006 900 classic and all I have done for a little extra power/performance was add Hard Krome stripper pipes/hypercharger and fuel processor( I have a cobra fi2000r but if had the money at the time would have went with a power commander) The fi2000r works fine but can be a bitch to get adjusted correctly after adding mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the input on creating a little more power.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There's better tuners than the Cobra fi2000. idle, low rpm, and high rpm. But- they're the least expensive and are often available used, here or otherwise- for even less. :)

The techlusion tuners offer more adjustability- the rpm for the 'main jet'/high rpm setting- for not a lot more coin. This is where my money is going. The Power Commanders offer the maximum adjustability, but I don't think the additional benefits are worth the expense. Gotta love downloadable fuel settings ("maps") though.

I love the S&S air cleaners... they're expensive though. I think the Arlen Ness big sucker is for sale around $200, unless you make your own I think they're the best for the dough. I wonder if there's an aftermarket kit that will allow the throttle body runners (for lack of a better term) to still be used. I like how they have a radius for smooth airflow entering the engine. Turbulence is for the combustion chamber, not the intake and intake manifold.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have no input regarding your power, but Welcome! I rode to the Grand Canyon last fall on my 1100 Sabre . . . Great Ride - Even the 22 miles of dirt road leading to the Sky Walk was fun . . . Now that its over! Where in North Dakota are ya? -Was tationed in Grand Forks many years ago and did a lot of riding in that area . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to meet you

I am in Bismarck ND

I have no input regarding your power, but Welcome! I rode to the Grand Canyon last fall on my 1100 Sabre . . . Great Ride - Even the 22 miles of dirt road leading to the Sky Walk was fun . . . Now that its over! Where in North Dakota are ya? -Was tationed in Grand Forks many years ago and did a lot of riding in that area . . .

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bismark - Nice - you actually have some hills out that way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts