Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was inspecting my chain and found that the rear sprocket needs replacing, it has broken teeth.

I went to a shop inquiring about prices and the nice tech, Leo, said that I should not only replace the rear sprocket, but the chain and front drive sprocket as well.

Thoughts? Agreement?

Any advice on where to buy the parts so I can do it myself?

Thank you all for your help, god bless

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, they're not just trying to soak you because they have a boat payment coming up. The sprockets and chain all are busily wearing out together as you ride, so best practice is to replace everything and start fresh with everything meshing properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TrainerMb for the advice/confirmation.

I have found a few websites to buy kits (both sprockets & chain) for reasonable prices. The best is Dennis Kirk..... $207 for the kit so I think I will order from there.

On a side note, I dont know if you remember, but i was the one asking about the '98 Vulcan Clutch Cover Install...... seems like I have finally found the cause of my issue... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron for the advice
After reading your page.... I have felt that buzz and wondered about it. I will have to see if I can buy a kit with the 18/40 ratio.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sure, the best practice is to everything in one set. But, before You just simply throw that all stuff away, inspect the front sprocket and the chain. How old is it? How many miles do You have on that chain?
Did You change it or was it the previous owner. Sometimes people do stupid things. For example, someone who owned that bike before could buy wrong combination sprockets and chain. It's really possible to have a good chain and front sprocket when using cheap rear sprocket. Some "dumbstars" buy aluminum sprockets for stunt and kill them in couple of rides, leaving chain in rather good condition.
So, there are always some options when You use Your head for thinking ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tehnis,
The bike is a '98 and I bought it used and have never changed the sprockets or chain. Assuming everything is original, that makes everything almost 20 years old and with 40K miles on it. From what I read, that is pretty old and should be replaced. Would you agree, if not, why?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tehnis,
The bike is a '98 and I bought it used and have never changed the sprockets or chain. Assuming everything is original, that makes everything almost 20 years old and with 40K miles on it. From what I read, that is pretty old and should be replaced. Would you agree, if not, why?
Buy steel sprockets, I will be replacing my chain for the third time, I have been getting around 20,000 miles per chain before I run out of adjustment. There was something wrong with my original chain because it broke on a trip out west, so now I use HD performance chain, probably overkill but once you break a chain and rip a hole in your crankcase your thinking changes.

:surprise:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts