Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on a 7 day road trip through the mountains and am looking for advice on what i should take. i have never taken the bike through the mountains and are not sure of must haves for the trip. a concern i have is the fuel capacity and the mpg in the mountains. fuel stops can be far and few in some areas.

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
What mountains are you talking about? How far apart are the fuel stops? What bike/tank capacity/range are you talking? For any trip of that duration through areas with potential drastic weather changes, here is my list in no particular order - this is in addition to standard road trip clothes etc . . .

Rain Gear (always have this but put it here to be sure)
Long sleeve wind shirt - or other long sleeve thermal/heat shirt
silk long john pants
Cold weather gloves
balaclava (in case it gets cold, and if it rains, it helps the rain not hurt the face so much when it pelts you)
Chaps (If I expect it to get real cold (below 40))
sunscreen/bug spray
SPOT Tracker - Provides SOS capability in areas with no cell coverage

I generally pack ride specific stuff first - all the stuff listed for this particular ride . . . then I pack my clothes, etc . . . sometimes depending on duration and location, you may need to adjust your stinkability meter to make sure you have what you MIGHT need in place of a fresh set of clothes each day.

I know guys who strap gas cans on their luggage racks anytime they ride long distance . . . I only needed one once, when riding through Kansas on my Sabre which had a 130 mile range . . . I have never (knock on wood) had to push my bike or call for gas - though on my last trip my Voyager took on 5.18 gallons at one stop - that's the closest I have got to pushing her . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mountain ride

I ride a 1996 Vulcan 1500. I am riding through the Rockies in Canada between Calgary and Vancouver. My bike can make 90-100 miles on a tank and that is riding easy on relatively flat ground. I have never driven the route and only know fuel stops by mapping my route on Google maps. There are definitely patches that will test my bikes range. My idea was to get in the mountains and enjoy the ride and scenery.

You mentioned strapping a gas can on the luggage rack. I was thinking of getting a small can and doing the same thing. I have a good assortment of warm riding gear, as I live in Canada and the fall rides can get chilly.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i am planning on a 7 day road trip through the mountains and am looking for advice on what i should take. i have never taken the bike through the mountains and are not sure of must haves for the trip. a concern i have is the fuel capacity and the mpg in the mountains. fuel stops can be far and few in some areas.

Thanks
No one can answer this general of a question.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Besides cold/rain gear you shouldn't need anything special just to ride on the mountains. gas stations are usually 20/30 miles apart may be get a bottle of octane booster in case you don't find the right gas.

Mount a few cameras in the bike as you will not be stopping often for pictures. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies ... I also found a couple of websites that are good references for what to take.

Has anyone carried fuel with them on a ride? I am wondering what kind of a container would be best. As my tank only holds 3.5-4.0 gallons (16 liters) I will not have a lot of wiggle room once I am in the mountains.

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
I will get some photos of what my buddy rigged up for carrying extra fuel on his Sabre - Its a rpetty cool set up on the luggage rack

·
Registered
894 Posts
OK . . . Here is what two guys I know do to carry an extra 3 gallons on their Honda Sabres . . . Both have used this setup for long cross country trups . . . To get the setup shown, you would order the Rotopax 3 gal. gas container, the LOX mount kit and a back plate. The set up allows them to carry the gas on the luggage rack and then strap their bags on top of that for the long trips . . . Here are pics of the set up . . .

The gas can:

http://rotopax.com/3-Gallon-Gasoline.html

The base plate:

http://rotopax.com/Backing-Plate.html

The lock:

http://rotopax.com/LOX-Pack-Mount.html

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Let's see 7 days,

Hilton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, La Quinta, Omni, Sheraton.

Yep that covers 7 days.

·
Registered
894 Posts
More points though if its Embassy suites X 6 . . . plus great breakfast every morning!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts