Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Narrowed down the bikes, input welcome.

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  blucru 
#1 ·
Well, went from 32 bikes down to 9 bikes and there are 2 that have my attention. What I did was build a spread sheet in Excel (yes, I did, now settle down) and wrote down the accessories I would find in my dream bike, the minimum accessories for a compromise bike, mileage and such. It made it very easy to see and wade thru the 32 bikes...
Right now it is between a 2008 1600 with 4500 mi, all stock for $6k OR a 2006 1500 with 8500 mi with 2-1 pipes, hard case touring saddles, windshield and sissy bar for $5500.
A bike with a compromise status will have saddles, windshield and sissy bar. A bike with dream status will have the above plus aftermarket pipes/seats, a power commander, highway bar and luggage rack.
The 1500 has the accessories needed to be a "compromise" bike with no needs to spend money. Plus it has the pipes which is in my dream bike requirements. It will cost me $1250 to get to the dream bike status.
The 1600 is all stock which means it dont have any of the accessories I want. It will cost me $900 to make it a "compromise" bike and a total of $2750 to turn it into what I call the dream bike. However, it is 2008, and 100 cc larger than the other one and barely broke at 4500 miles...
I'm inclined towards the 1500 unless the 1600 guy is willing to come down 1k which I'm sure it is not likely to happen.
The guy from the 1500 already agree to come down a bit from the $5500 to compensate for the power commander that I think he needs to keep them pipe from turning blue... I will try to get him to meet me at $5k, if he does, Im driving the bike home...

There are still 2 bikes that im waiting responses from the owners. They did not leave a phone number and I had to email them. Those bikes do have a fighting chance IF they have gear towards the dream bike, if not they dont stand a chance. Seems Im waiting until tomorrow morning to start dealing...

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm new to this forum, but I have been negotiatiing things for a while. You show up with cash in hand either guy will sell if your close to the asking price.

Also I say go with the 1600. The fact that it is stock means you didn't have someone who might not know what they were doing messing around with it. it's two years newer and have the milage. Still sounds like a steal, and you get to deck it out with the upgrades you want; your a research type guy (so am I) you probably won't be happy with someone elses purchases.

#7 ·
Man! That bike has been neglected and abused. Both hardcase saddles have big scratches, deep enough to reveal the inner color of the plastic. Front fender is all scratched and the pipe has big rust spots. I looked at it for just a minute and I had to leave. Worst thing this is an almost 6 hours round trip for me and he knew it. Still did not warned me about the scratches. I mean you can see all that in plain view, not like a small scratch in a hidden spot. I'm so pissed.
Next bike.

#9 ·
I agree w/ Demarco... Do you really want to buy a used bike for which someone else has tampered with the stock fuel/air intake and exhaust... or do you want to do that yourself and be sure it is done right? I think some bozos out there screw their bikes up and that is why they are selling them!

#12 ·
Matthews Fun Machines is in your neighborhood. They've got two brand new leftover 1600 Classics. One's an '07 candy red/silver for $6,999.00 and the other's an '08 blue/black for $6,899.00. This may be higher than your looking at paying, but you do get the warranty and you get to put the very first mile on it :D!!
I bought their last '06 Classic in December for $5,999.00 (plus freight/set-up and taxes). If you think you may want to go this route, try and dicker with them on the freight and set-up fees. Out the door was $7,000.00. I'm happy as a clam :). Already have 1,500 miles on her.

#13 ·
I have the 1500... Can't go wrong either way here. There isn't much difference in power between the 2: my 1500 with TFI fuel processor and Baron's air kit pulls harder than a stock 1600, and the RPMs at 75 mph are apparently the same (that's what I've been told). The 1600 does have cast wheels (tubeless tires) and dual disc brakes... It also has that beautiful long stretched gas tank. The 1500 will give you better gas mileage, and from what I've read, is easier to handle. The 1600 apparently can be a bit of a bear at slow speeds. If you can, try taking it for a ride.

I have 45,600 miles on my 1500, with nothing but regular maintenance (and $4k in accessories). Runs and looks better than the day I bought it. Good luck.

#14 ·
While I am new to the forum, I have an '08 1600 Classic that I bought new and made my own by adding just what I want. Couldn't be happier. I think you will enjoy not only the fact that the 1600 is newer but the "making it your own" comment by someone earlier is worth taking into account. Either way, enjoy the ride.

Boomer

#15 ·
Guys, sorry for the late responce but I stopped getting my notification emails due to some jerk trying to break in my email account and it being blocked.
The bikes have been drooping like flies, every bike I want to check out is sold before I can make it to see it. Most of the bikes I like are 3 hours away so It is not easy for me to go during the week because I haul the kids from/to school. Right now im down to 3 bikes...
If I go with anything on the 6k I would have spent all the money I have and there are upgrades that I need to just be able to ride the bike. Anyway, will keep you guys updated...

#16 ·
I got it yesterday!!!! 2006, 1600 Vulcan Classic 6200 miles, all black, with v&h pipes, Kuryakin grips, power commander, bunch of little chrome parts, light bars and cant remember what else. $5k, I did haggle a bit but the kid was set on his number as he had to pay the loan.
However, it did rain in my parade... I was not able to get the title from the bank due to their incompetency so I might have to do another 4 hr round trip just for that. The kid had forgotten a few things so if I have to go I guess we will take care of that then or he will mail them to me. Not what I prefer but when it came down to it that was my only option short of not buying the bike.
Then the second shower.... When the girlfriend got home she want it to go for a spin so of course, I oblige... However, I have this nasty bump in the entrance of the house parking when it meets the road. She hates to seat in the old bike on the road and she does a bit of complaining as she wants to seat in the garage and me to drive from there. So she did complaint again last night and me a retard I am agreed to let her get in the bike in the garage... We took the bump and then I made the turn and the girlfriend lean a bit more than she should (no sissy bar). Now she is going down so she holds to me, now Im going down, hit the brakes but the bike was so leaned at that time that I could not stop it and had to rest it in the asphalt... I was very pissed. The custom mirror held the bike but it broke. The grip has a little mark, so does the 2 lights on the left. Look it up, $450 in damage on the first day... I kept researching and I dont have to replace the grips, I can just get the caps. The mirror just has a little mark and it is in the machine shop getting it ready for $10.00 (I did not like the mirrors anyway). So all I need to find now is the front section of both left side lights and I will be back on business...
I did got quite upset with the girlfriend. I told her there is a reason why I avoided doing that drop/bump and making a turn and she knows now why... Then I calmed down and told her it was not her fault, Im the driver and I should have kept from doing something I was not comfortable doing just to please her... We still went for the ride and it was quite enjoyable. I loved to feel the power of that motor. Later at night after I figured the damages the girlfriend offer to pay for all of the replacements... I declined.
Today is another day and I feel a lot better and still like the bike. I am taking it apart to do some cleaning a deeper inspection. So far I found that the left side fairing (the one that has the tools and lock) has one of those little plastic "pins" broke and in the other end it has the rubber missing where the pin goes into. I can fix the pin but I will need the rubber.

Anyone that has an idea where to find these items other than the dealer? Also, what are good online sites to pimp my ride? I need a sissy bar, windshield, highway bar, aftermarket mirrors and other little items. In the future I want some hard saddles and a mustang seat. Any info on those will be appreciated...
Also tips for cleaning will be great. The previous bike I had was a "working" bike so I did not went to the extremes cleaning it. Any help on what to use, what to avoid and etc will be appreciated... I am not crazy about a complete black and chrome bike so next year a paint job might be in the works...

Thanks everyone!!!!

#18 ·
sorry for your rough start- but glad to hear nobody got hurt. Me personally I don't give any rides until I am very comfortable with the bike. Also I made sure the crash bars were the first purchase....1600 is a heavy bike and very easy to drop. Alot of those on Ebay for sale.

Sounds like you got a great price. Congrats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.