Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of discussion about wider rears like 200 mm but what about something on the skinny side. I just rode through a thunderstorm on 180/70 15 Night Dragon and reckon a narrower tire would have been better suited. I like more pointed profile tires to the round Pirellis.

Is a 150/90 15 too narrow for the stock rim?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to denniskirk 160mm is the minimum for a 4.5 rim. Might just go for a 170/80.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Keep an eye on the weight load rating also. Going smaller might overload the tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd only be getting a professional fitting as per load rating.

I checked my pressure and found I only had 25 psi on the rear. Put 32 on front and 34 the rear and lowered rear preload to factory preset. I also see my front is 8 years old with some very fine lines on the sidewall and the rear is 5 years old - might be sensible to get a new set on that basis alone, even though front tracks well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you decide you want to replace the tires I would recommend the Michelin Commander IIs. These are the ONLY tires I have experience with on my 900, but I really like them, and I get stability and excellent traction from them, even when it's wet. I'm sure there must be other good tires out there, but I have no experience with any other tire.

Ricksza is also right about loading. Some here have installed 170/80 rear tire, to correct the speedo, but I wouldn't go smaller than 170 for the rear because of loading.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I went to a 170/80 on my second replacement. I went from a Metzler 880 180/70 to a Metzler 888 170/80. I didn't notice any change in performance but the speedo and odo were more accurate. The big change was when I had to replace 3 tires in 1 month (long, stupid story) and decided to go cheap. I put a pair of Shinko 777s on my 07 custom. The rear tire has a more round profile than the Metzler and leaning into turns was so easy that for the first half dozen turns it felt like I was falling over. Once I got used to the ease of rolling into a turn, I really liked it. Enough that I now have a pair on my Vaquero. Trade off is mileage. You'll only get around 7-8 K miles on the rear. That's 1 season for me and I don't like the idea of changing tires every season. Not sure what direction I'll take this spring. Thinking of trying MCIIs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Michelin compounds. Metzeler gives the option of whitewalls. Shinko is good on price but I read that they square off easily, probably due to not being a modern dual compound tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you decide you want to replace the tires I would recommend the Michelin Commander IIs. These are the ONLY tires I have experience with on my 900, but I really like them, and I get stability and excellent traction from them, even when it's wet. I'm sure there must be other good tires out there, but I have no experience with any other tire.

Ricksza is also right about loading. Some here have installed 170/80 rear tire, to correct the speedo, but I wouldn't go smaller than 170 for the rear because of loading.
...Commander II's are the best!...on my 2nd set...they cost a few more $$ but the ride and stability rewards are huge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts