Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it I got a nail in my rear tire on the vaquero. It is kind of between the edge and the middle of the tire. I still have about 4000 miles of tread life left in the tire. So my question is can I plug it? If yes then do you need to take the tire off to do that?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Best thing to do is take the tire off and patch it from the inside. Then put it back on the rim in the same position it came off. Don't plug it patch it with a tire patch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best thing to do is take the tire off and patch it from the inside. Then put it back on the rim in the same position it came off. Don't plug it patch it with a tire patch.
I don't have the tools to remove a tire. So that is why it would be a plug.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I am thinking about using.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Tire-Plugger-Inflation-System/dp/B001BBSD9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432622677&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+tire+plug+kit[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That Amazon plug kit will work....

When I am on the road I plug it with the plug kit I carry. When I get home I take the tire and get it patched.

If you have a place to put it and do it.... I would recommend a motorcycle jack and tools to remove the wheels. I'm not rich so I remove the wheels to save some money on tire repair.

Where I take them it is $20 bucks off bike and $60-$70 on bike..... three DYI tire changes will pay for a good jack.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Many dealers wont repair a tire recommending replacement. Cant hurt to ask though, but may have better luck at an independent shop.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
I had purchased a rear tire for my Shadow 1100 years ago...
Had it on for THREE DAYS and picked up a roofing nail...
AAARRRGGGHHH !!!

Hated doing it but...
Got it patched from the inside and re-balanced at a local independent shop...

Rode great !!!

Never leaked and sold the bike with the same tire on it...
Told the dude who bought it and he was cool with it...

Some say...
"Never ever patch a scooter tire."

Meh !!!

YMMV...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think you can find a cheaper plug repair kit at a farm & home store.
If you've had experience plugging tires and you know about following the puncture and not making another hole on the inside, then I'd say go for it.
Back in the days, when I worked at a repair shop, we'd have people that would try doing that sort of thing and making the injury worse than it originally was and still leak.
Since you wrote that the injury is kinda on the outside edge a tire repair place may not want to repair it anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had purchased a rear tire for my Shadow 1100 years ago...
Had it on for THREE DAYS and picked up a roofing nail...
AAARRRGGGHHH !!!

Hated doing it but...
Got it patched from the inside and re-balanced at a local independent shop...

Rode great !!!

Never leaked and sold the bike with the same tire on it...
Told the dude who bought it and he was cool with it...

Some say...
"Never ever patch a scooter tire."

Meh !!!

YMMV...
The rear tire on my bike I bought for $10.00 because it was brand new with a dry wall screw in it dead center. It has been on my bike now for about 9K miles and runs just fine. I patched it from the inside and it runs just like one without a patch in it. I have patched at least one tire on every bike I have owned and that is many many bikes since my first in 1965 without ever having one problem. One tire on my 2014 Car picked up a nail right at the edge of the tread and they told me they would not patch it and that I had to buy a new tire for $367.00 I said I'll pass. The tire only had 2K miles at the time it got the nail. I had a local shop just take it off the rim for me then I took it home and patched it and the guy put it back on the rim for me. The tire now has 28K on it and still running great. I have no fear patching a tire as I have never seen one if patched correctly ever fail or cause any problems. Also I never expect one of mine I patch to do so either unless I go brain dead and patch it incorrectly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dang it I got a nail in my rear tire on the vaquero. It is kind of between the edge and the middle of the tire. I still have about 4000 miles of tread life left in the tire. So my question is can I plug it? If yes then do you need to take the tire off to do that?
What Bubba said, which is exactly what I do.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts