Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a bit froggy and put a long winded post in the new member section, not thinking I would probably get more feedback if I posted in the 900 section. Long story short, came across the blue collar bobber site, got hooked, searched for what I thought was the best base to build off of for my tastes, and found a good deal on a stock 09 Vulcan Custom. A project I wanted to keep me busy all winter took me three weekends because it was so much fun if I was not at work I was in the garage. Let me know what you guys think, I love it so far, especially after throwing on the exhaust. It's going to be a long winter waiting to really get out and ride.

The Before Pic

The After Pics

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice! Is the seat comfortable?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually more comfortable then I was expecting. But, I have not been able to go on a decent ride to truly tell. I will say it's more comfortable then my 09 Night Rod Special was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really does, I know many people think the kit is pricey, but I think it's worth it, especially if your not a skilled fabricator. All the brackets/parts fit exactly how they should. Only other downside is no passengers after installing this kit, once you cut that part of the frame there is no going back!
I also must say those Vance & Hines pipes make a world of difference, love the sound of these pipes on this bike, highly recommend them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Is the seat comfortable?
Toxic,

I know I already replied above to the seat question, just now got a chance to check out your profile. Love that green! I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in "Gecko Green" that is similar. Love the high impact colors! :grin2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
It really does, I know many people think the kit is pricey, but I think it's worth it, especially if your not a skilled fabricator. All the brackets/parts fit exactly how they should. Only other downside is no passengers after installing this kit, once you cut that part of the frame there is no going back!
I also must say those Vance & Hines pipes make a world of difference, love the sound of these pipes on this bike, highly recommend them.
You had to cut the frame to install their rear fender?

I emailed them a while back concerning their kits, and was told no permanent modifications need to be made to the VN800B.

-John

·
Registered
40 Posts

I emailed them a while back concerning their kits, and was told no permanent modifications need to be made to the VN800B.

-John

You have to cut the rear fender struts off on the 900. From looking at the 800 kits, it doesn't appear that's the case for the 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

-John
You have to cut the rear fender struts off on the 900. From looking at the 800 kits, it doesn't appear that's the case for the 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are two "Cadillac Wings" that come off the rear of the frame to support the stock rear fairing and passenger seat. If you go to the videos for the 900 build, I think it's the third one that shows exactly what you need to cut. I have pics I can post as well of the build if you have more questions. It was a bit nerve wracking knowing you have to cut on the frame, but if I can do it, anybody can. :wink2:

As TxRonHarris said, if you have an 800 it could be completely different. I'm sure BBC has videos of that as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Toxic,

I know I already replied above to the seat question, just now got a chance to check out your profile. Love that green! I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in "Gecko Green" that is similar. Love the high impact colors! :grin2:
Yup, me too. :) I get so many compliments on the bike because of the color. I kind of want to bob it, but matching that paint for the fenders is going to be hard. Plus I just got the saddlemen solo seat which is hella comfy.

Maybe in the next couple of years when I get bored with the current look I will chop it down. :):)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, me too. :) I get so many compliments on the bike because of the color. I kind of want to bob it, but matching that paint for the fenders is going to be hard. Plus I just got the saddlemen solo seat which is hella comfy.

Maybe in the next couple of years when I get bored with the current look I will chop it down. :):)
Just FYI, I see you have the Custom, so you won't have to worry about switching the front fender. You would only have to paint the rear, it comes prepped with primer and ready to go. I know it still might be tough to match that color, an easier way is just do a matte or gloss black possibly? I think that would still look sweet. Either way you only have that one piece to worry about. :wink2:

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Just saw this; that's a great looking bike! I really like the after pics and especially the seat setup with the stitching. The rear fender really cleaned up well and the spacing is perfect.

Be sure and enter that in one of the bike of the month contests!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just saw this; that's a great looking bike! I really like the after pics and especially the seat setup with the stitching. The rear fender really cleaned up well and the spacing is perfect.

Be sure and enter that in one of the bike of the month contests!
I've been away from the forum for awhile, I just saw this. Thanks for the kudos. Put over 2,000 miles on the bike since the conversion, no issues, I am loving it! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts