Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, there has been drama in the home and I suspect my bike has been tampered with by the old lady

the key to my vaquero was bent and crooked yesterday am when i went to start it...so bad the key wouldn't go into the ignition...i bent it straight and tried to start the bike....it turns over, fires, then idles so rough...rougher than a pan head and dies...making terrible noises...almost like only one cylinder is firing....the second you give it throttle it dies.

yall think she put sugar in my gas tank?

i guess i will drain the gas, and check the spark plugs, PCV/ignition wiring and fuel filter...any other advice would be fantastic

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
well, there has been drama in the home and I suspect my bike has been tampered with by the old lady

the key to my vaquero was bent and crooked yesterday am when i went to start it...so bad the key wouldn't go into the ignition...i bent it straight and tried to start the bike....it turns over, fires, then idles so rough...rougher than a pan head and dies...making terrible noises...almost like only one cylinder is firing....the second you give it throttle it dies.

yall think she put sugar in my gas tank?

i guess i will drain the gas, and check the spark plugs, PCV/ignition wiring and fuel filter...any other advice would be fantastic
try swapping the plug wires. Could be that easy.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
there has been drama in the home
I reckon asking perpetrator is out of the question?

If key was bent, a good guess is that the gas tank was sabotaged...
I wouldn't fire it up again until you know for sure.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I would REMOVE the tank, then remove the fuel pump to drain the fuel. If there is anything foreign in the tank, you don't want to risk ruining the pump by 'pumping it out'. Since it's a fuel injected bike, you can't just 'drain' it by loosening a hose.

If there are contaminants in the tank, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, pump as well. Hopefully the injectors are okay.

I hate to say it but you need to give a thorough thrice-over with your bike, including brake lines, potentially cut wires, etc. If there is additional damage, just a 'heads up', if you want the insurance to cover it they'll usually require charges to be filed. Neighbor just went through that when his 16 year old sons girlfriend got mad at him and keyed his car! Only way the insurance would cover it is if she was charged, or at least, there was a police report. We did a little reading and found that it's pretty much standard operating procedure for any sort of 'vandalism' to REQUIRE police involvement in order to make a claim.

Sheesh, what a day. Hope everything turns out okay for you in the end...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon asking perpetrator is out of the question?

If key was bent, a good guess is that the gas tank was sabotaged...
I wouldn't fire it up again until you know for sure.
Well, she denied and then flipped on me and kicked me out of my own house - (lease is up at end of July anyway so no biggie - she would never admit it...she is a paralegal

I would REMOVE the tank, then remove the fuel pump to drain the fuel. If there is anything foreign in the tank, you don't want to risk ruining the pump by 'pumping it out'. Since it's a fuel injected bike, you can't just 'drain' it by loosening a hose.

If there are contaminants in the tank, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, pump as well. Hopefully the injectors are okay.

I hate to say it but you need to give a thorough thrice-over with your bike, including brake lines, potentially cut wires, etc. If there is additional damage, just a 'heads up', if you want the insurance to cover it they'll usually require charges to be filed. Neighbor just went through that when his 16 year old sons girlfriend got mad at him and keyed his car! Only way the insurance would cover it is if she was charged, or at least, there was a police report. We did a little reading and found that it's pretty much standard operating procedure for any sort of 'vandalism' to REQUIRE police involvement in order to make a claim.

Sheesh, what a day. Hope everything turns out okay for you in the end...
so I need to remove the fuel pump, and its inside the tank?

fml

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The one person I know that burned a motor up with sugar was a neighbor kid that was stealing my Dads lawn mower gas. :cool:
It has always been my understanding that sugar will run fine at first then lock up the engine.
If it is contaminated fuel, I would guess it's something else.

However;
I think if you remove the tank and empty it through the cap. Swish a half gallon or so around in it. Then re-install the tank; you should be able to put some known clean fuel back into it; remove the hose from the pump and turn the key on for a few seconds. It should pump out any dirty fuel left in the pump. Be ready to catch several ounces.

How engine savvy is the ol lady? Could she hide her tracks or are you looking for a sabotage of opportunity (cut hose, pulled wire, ext)?

Hoping for the best,
Scott

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Did you check the outlest of the exhaust pipes. Too many movies where they stuff things into the exhaust.

My wife wouldn't even dare do something like that. She would just chop off my manhood.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Holy Crap. What a headache.

I would check the simple things first. Someone pissed off enough to bend a key is probably going to act on anger first before getting thoughtful and creative (But then, I don't know her). Make sure the battery wasn't drained, things like that.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I would remove the tank and clean it out well and any fuel lines too that you can get too.

Once you put gas back into the tank, add some Seafoam to it also.

I would also drain all the oil and change the oil filter.

Check the exhaust and make sure nothing is rammed up far into it, too.

Best of Luck, sounds like you might need it in the future.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one person I know that burned a motor up with sugar was a neighbor kid that was stealing my Dads lawn mower gas. :cool:
It has always been my understanding that sugar will run fine at first then lock up the engine.
If it is contaminated fuel, I would guess it's something else.

However;
I think if you remove the tank and empty it through the cap. Swish a half gallon or so around in it. Then re-install the tank; you should be able to put some known clean fuel back into it; remove the hose from the pump and turn the key on for a few seconds. It should pump out any dirty fuel left in the pump. Be ready to catch several ounces.

How engine savvy is the ol lady? Could she hide her tracks or are you looking for a sabotage of opportunity (cut hose, pulled wire, ext)?

Hoping for the best,
Scott
her father was a mechanic and she has been around bikes and bikers her whole life (bandits) i wouldn't put it past her...she is also a paralegal and has good understanding of the texas penal code so she will never admit any wrongdoing

Did you check the outlest of the exhaust pipes. Too many movies where they stuff things into the exhaust.

My wife wouldn't even dare do something like that. She would just chop off my manhood.
nothing in tail pipe this is almost certainly a lack of Fire, or lack of fuel

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy Crap. What a headache.

I would check the simple things first. Someone pissed off enough to bend a key is probably going to act on anger first before getting thoughtful and creative (But then, I don't know her). Make sure the battery wasn't drained, things like that.
I would remove the tank and clean it out well and any fuel lines too that you can get too.

Once you put gas back into the tank, add some Seafoam to it also.

I would also drain all the oil and change the oil filter.

Check the exhaust and make sure nothing is rammed up far into it, too.

Best of Luck, sounds like you might need it in the future.

Checked the battery and PCV connections...batt. has 80% charge on it...not it is turning over but not firing....almost positive I have a fuel blockage...maybe the fuel line or injector or fuel filter...

i dropped the bike at a local independent shop today....the guy working on it was the lead kawi mechanic at our local kaw dealer for 22 years...he assured me he would find the problem...and call me before any repairs were made...

I told him if he finds any evidence of fowl play I need to know asap so I can talk with the police

the bad news is they have 2 weeks of back logged 4 wheelers in front of me...the good news is he is getting tired of working on 4 wheelers - I don't expect to be riding for awhile but the bike needs fresh oil anyway

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
years ago we had a situation where a guy's gal scratched up his skoot and dumped sugar in the tank. What a mess. Sugar don't dissolve in gas, plugged up everything, fuel pump, etc. Was not cheap to fix.

Damn [email protected]#ch's:mad:

GOOD LUCK Trey

RACNRAY

·
Registered
440 Posts
im staying single..thats it !! i woulda blown a gasket. she most likely messed with the gas tank . the only thing with the legal side is if you cant prove anything , nothing will happen. i would put in a police report for the insurance. She crossed the line .. right her off forever and get a hottie , its the only sweet revenge.... hide the bike.....

·
Registered
851 Posts
My theory is...Sometimes it's just cheaper to have them killed. lol! I hope they find that it's something simple and not foul play, I know you've had your share of problems with your Vaquero. Good luck Trey!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
years ago we had a situation where a guy's gal scratched up his skoot and dumped sugar in the tank. What a mess. Sugar don't dissolve in gas, plugged up everything, fuel pump, etc. Was not cheap to fix.

Damn [email protected]#ch's:mad:

GOOD LUCK Trey

RACNRAY
The things you learn.:confused::eek::)
I always believed the theories about it dissolving then crystallizing.

I know when the neighbor kid stole my Dad's gas with sugar in it. He ended up with his truck in his work shed for about a week before he took it to a mechanic; who then had it for a couple more weeks.
We never asked about his engine troubles and he never stole my Dad's gas again.

Scott

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back up and running

I had 3/4 a tank of gas...

Local shop found that 1/3 of that was WATER! she definitely sabotaged my bike

they drained it, flushed it with fuel and added some sea foam...bike isn't 100% but at least 90 I figure a few more tanks of premium and some Heet and she will be back to good

Ill post a picture of the sample he saved for me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts