Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my Strong bags installed this week. The installation process is pretty well documented on these internets so I won’t go through the details, but some stuff does bear mentioning. Overall I like the bags and think I will enjoy them for a long time but they aren’t perfect. There are some imperfections in the paint. I have bubbles on my right lid. The hinges don’t feel super sturdy and I feel like I need to be gentle with them. Also, one of the brackets that came with my bags was bent so when I did the test fit, the bolt that attached the bracket to the bike was hitting the lid. I had to go back and put spacers between the bag and bracket to move it away until I can contact Tsukayu and hopefully get a new bracket on the way.

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, the bags and brackets do feel pretty solid. They came with two sets of spacers, one set about 1” and the other closer to about ¼”. There were also four 60mm bolts and some shorter (15-20mm) bolts for the bags themselves. I went to Lowe’s and bought 40mm bolts so I could use the smaller spacers with a couple of washers to get the bags closer to the fender. The 60mm bolts were too long to use with the smaller spacers and the shorter bolts were too short.

Since the proof is in the pictures, here you go. The total install took me about four hours but I did it by myself and tried to take my time. It would have been really nice to have an extra set of hands but it can be done alone.

The way they are packaged once removed from the fiberglass box:

Hardware selection:

They’re hard to make out in this picture, but the bubbles are certainly there:

Washers on top were included with the bags. I replaced all of them with larger fender washers:

This is the bent bracket. As you can see, with me holding the bolt in place, the lid won’t open without big damage to the paint:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From behind, using the large spacers:

Small spacers on the left, large spacers on the right:

Small spacers on both sides:

Finished product:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
gb, several others have these bags and are happy with them. Not sure what you had to give for them if they meet yor expectations.
I bought a set of Jumbo strongs with the Top case included on sale for $1200. I was not pleased with the product as my expectations were higher for the price I paid. I sold that set. If we're to do it again would pony up for the Patriots. Just my opinion is all. Ponchout

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Graybush ... nice write up and pictorial. Any bag is certainly a pain to install by yourself unless you have 6 arms. Did you think of trying them with out the spacers. I could damn near install mine direct to the frame except the caliper stuck out just a little to far. Your ride looks great .. nice job.

Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice - great pics!
I recently added the (faux) leather hard-bags made by Mustang that match my Mustang seat and the bags look exactly like yours - same style, same "lines" etc.... except they are covered with the (faux) leather.

I like the way the look and LOVE how much they hold!

I'm just curious though - was there a reason you didn't go with one of the "EasyBracket" mounts?

I used the quick-disconnect (and key-lockable) EasyBracket mounts and the bags "hang" exactly the same as yours.

Nice job on the install........ mine looked like it would require at least ONE second-set of hands so I had my local mechanic join my efforts.

:)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
nice job. I like that you got the bags aligned correctly. OFten I see the bags tipping up or down on bikes and that looks dorky to my eye... :)....

yeah they need spacers for sure for the bolt clearance...and bigger washers.... and extra space for clearing the belt guard ( on a V2K anyway).... but mine have performed well over time... the hinges do hold up :) ...and they dont leak in the rain ...and the locks work....and they hold a lot of stuff !

I even, um, tested their structural integrity once trying to hold up my 900 lb bike and they survived with only a slight scratch.... I have had other hard bags that would have been toast from that event....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah mine tip up slightly because i put my bike on a craftsman jack,set up a table to hold the bag where i wanted it and didnt allow for the forward weight bias of the bike to tip the jack forward,i should have put a block under the front wheel to hold it back into place but,sometimes we overlook the obvious!

so i'm a dork but i can live with myself!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
so i'm a dork but i can live with myself!!!!
You could enlarge the rear/ front holes to level them, just use bigger washers inside and out to cover up the " boo boo ".

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I have two sets of holes in my bags.... guess why ? LOL
ventilation? ... you said to guess! Ok, maybe when you do the low rider thing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same bags, the paint was perfect. One of my hinges had a stripped threaded stud. I contacted tsukayu, and they promptly sent me a new one. I did the same thing as you shimming the bag out away from the bracket. I used a solid stock piece of .25 aluminum the full length of the bracket. Using washers will create localized point loads, it's always recommended to spread the load out if possible. You will love
these bags, I do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
eeek! didnt mean to insult anyone.. ;)

I have two sets of holes in my bags.... guess why ? LOL
Annie,i am not anywhere close to being insulted or offended,i am a dork for many other reasons so say my kids,i used to be cool,i know i was,im just not anymore,its the natural progression and im alright with it because as cool as they are,ive got something that they dont,,,,,,,,,,,cash and credit,HAHAHA take that you rugrats:):)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, everybody. So far I'm happy with them, but like I said, there are some things I think could have been done better. Now I can't wait to get rid of the paint smell. I left the bike in the driveway all afternoon with the lids open but it's still there. Anyway...

whiting57 said:
Did you think of trying them with out the spacers. I could damn near install mine direct to the frame except the caliper stuck out just a little to far. Your ride looks great .. nice job.
They need a little something to keep from hitting the fender trim. I got them as close as I comfortably could. I'm actually now looking at the possibility of keeping my sissybar/luggage rack combo and just letting the bags stick out a little farther. I'll mess with it over the next week or two and decide for sure.

Toforo said:
I'm just curious though - was there a reason you didn't go with one of the "EasyBracket" mounts?
I considered those and a while back started a thread asking about them. I knew once I put them on I would never take them off unless I needed to do some maintenance or serious cleaning so I went with what seemed like a more secure mounting system. I don't know if it is or not but they are bought now. With a helper I can have them completely on/off in less than 10 minutes which should do for my purposes.

sturgeon said:
I have the same bags, the paint was perfect. One of my hinges had a stripped threaded stud. I contacted tsukayu, and they promptly sent me a new one. I did the same thing as you shimming the bag out away from the bracket. I used a solid stock piece of .25 aluminum the full length of the bracket. Using washers will create localized point loads, it's always recommended to spread the load out if possible. You will love these bags, I do.
I'm sure in a few weeks I will have kicked the lids enough that I won't notice the imperfections anymore! That's a good idea about the aluminum. I thought I was being smart using bigger washers but I may go buy a piece and give that a shot. One of my bags is hanging on my 3 bolts because I boogered up the drilling just enough that I couldn't wallow it out without making a huge mess. I'm not sure what to do about it so I'm still figuring that one out.

Thanks again for the compliments. It only took 18 months (actually at home and riding 8 of those months) but I think I finally have the bike the way I want it. I just have a couple of small things left to clear out my pile of add ons that's built up over the last few months. I'm already planning a trip back to the Smoky Mountains and looking into some fall trips. Anybody ready to hit the road?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I like it ...:)

Annie,i am not anywhere close to being insulted or offended,i am a dork for many other reasons so say my kids,i used to be cool,i know i was,im just not anymore,its the natural progression and im alright with it because as cool as they are,ive got something that they dont,,,,,,,,,,,cash and credit,HAHAHA take that you rugrats:):)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
I emailed Tsukayu about the bent bracket and included the picture above. They wrote back within a few hours offering to send a full set of new brackets. I told them I only really needed one but I'm not sure what they'll send. So far the customer service seems pretty good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks to pics and advice I have the Strong bags Now!

After tons of research and reading everyones' comments on these bags I bit the bullet and went for them. So glad!

These bags are really very high quality and I love they way they look. I purchased them from Value Accessories and got them for $100 less than Tsukayu. The couple who run Value Accessories were great and easy to do business with. They came in a fiberglass box within a week of ordering. My husband and I worked for about 2 hours to get them drilled and installed. Not too bad of a task, just make sure you measure and measure again!

They hold so much and make longer trips very easy.

Have fun everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You go gayle !!! :)

After tons of research and reading everyones' comments on these bags I bit the bullet and went for them. So glad!

These bags are really very high quality and I love they way they look. I purchased them from Value Accessories and got them for $100 less than Tsukayu. The couple who run Value Accessories were great and easy to do business with. They came in a fiberglass box within a week of ordering. My husband and I worked for about 2 hours to get them drilled and installed. Not too bad of a task, just make sure you measure and measure again!

Have fun everyone!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After tons of research and reading everyones' comments on these bags I bit the bullet and went for them. So glad!...
Looking good! I was able to stuff four days of clothes, plus tools, an air compressor, bike cover, map, bungee net, big bottle of water, and other miscellani into mine without any problem. Not bad!

·
Registered
79 Posts

Have fun everyone!

18- Are those the regular Strong's or the Jumbo's??

1 - 20 of 59 Posts