Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a week ago I had a honda shadow (1st bike) and was very happy until I laid it down. I had a choice to fix or ins. aduster would total it. Fast forward to 4 days ago... I was buying a 2007 900 with 1700 miles and in excellent condition. I did my homework before buying and considered that it would be a step up from the 750.

I often visited the Honda website so decided to come here. At first I was a little concerned. However, I have found everyone very nice and helpful. I have gained some important information on my new bike and very impressed with this site. Thanks to all who have responded to my threads and posts.

Next! I took 1/2 day off. I changed oil today and cleaned the bike. Temp was 81 perfect skies and my 2 hour ride to nowhere was heaven.

This bike is not perfect. However....

Shifts better, stock seat is more comfortable than last bike, lots more power, no shaft drive jerking, a little more height so no foot peg draging on sharp turns, has a fuel gauge, pipes debaffled by po so now I am heard and seen, and 5.3 gallon tank is a welcome upgrade from a 3.7 gallon.

This is a nice looking bike. I do miss the blue but black is very cool. Gonna take some getting use to but I expect to spend many hours hitting the back roads to nowhere and enjoying life.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, I also went from a 750 to the 900. I had a 1982 yamaha virago 750 that I rebuilt. The 9 is a great bike but sometimes I miss my old 750, That thing would rock off the line but nothing on the top end. I have a 09 Classic LT with almost 29000 miles and have had no problems with her yet. Enjoy the new ride and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Nice bike indeed, congratulations.

I went from a 750 Spirit to the 900 Custom also; but i kept the 750 and my wife rides it mostly. I wouldn't be too suprised if you'll be dragging pegs on the 900 before too long, i drag mine regularly, but then i've lowered mine a bit.

Have fun, and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Nice bike, but it's looking kinda...stock. Keep hanging around here and you'll get all kinds of ideas for doo-dads & what's-its to make it "your own".

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sadly, they don't make the "perfect" bike. I'm fortunate to have 3 bikes and there's something that I don't like about all three of them! :cool:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice bike, but it's looking kinda...stock. Keep hanging around here and you'll get all kinds of ideas for doo-dads & what's-its to make it "your own".
I'm not an accessories guy. This cruiser is 1 to 2 hour a day bike. A meditative contraption used to haul my arse away from life as I know it on the way to nowhere in particular. It and the bike before it has helped me feel more alive than ever.

I'm 53 and have daydreamed many times about having a bike but was not the right time to own one. My speculation of owning one has not matched the reality I now have. Yesterday after changing oil and cleaning it up, I experienced a perfect ride on a perfect day.

Everyone has their reasons for owning one. I didn't imagine riding would make me different or a better man but in many ways, it has!

I'm fortunate to have 3 bikes
I wish you had an album of these so I could drool.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome, Daboo. I have an '07 9LT with 24K miles. I've changed oil, replaced tires twice, spark plugs once, adjusted valves once. No problems at all.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I know the feeling! Can't imagine not having a bike now... it's such an enjoyable thing. My fiancee thinks so too. She'll stop by my house after work and I know she had a bad day because she's got her helmet and gear and she's ready to go. It's very cathardic!

Beats the heck out of the cage!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I felt like an idiot yesterday. Must be old age. I guess I'm expecting this bike to be too good to be true... anyway!

I changed my oil and bike would not start. Pulled seat and checked battery cable and wires. I got frustrated and called a place looking for a battery. Went back out figuring if battery was weak, maybe it charged up a little. I finally saw that I had power switch off. I never use that sucker... I always turn bike off with key. What an idgit! :\

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I felt like an idiot yesterday. Must be old age. I guess I'm expecting this bike to be too good to be true... anyway!

I changed my oil and bike would not start. Pulled seat and checked battery cable and wires. I got frustrated and called a place looking for a battery. Went back out figuring if battery was weak, maybe it charged up a little. I finally saw that I had power switch off. I never use that sucker... I always turn bike off with key. What an idgit! :\
I spent twenty minutes trying to start it in first with the kick stand down, LOL.

Oh well, glad I didn't take off like that!

I think we've all done something like that. Lately I've been shutting it off with the kill switch because I live in an apartment and have debaffled pipes, and my parking spots assigned to me, both of them, are outside someones bedroom window. So I usually cruise into the parking lot then kill it and coast into my spot. SO, that's not an issue for me anymore since I'm used to it LOL.

·
Registered
643 Posts

It's good that you are not in the habit of using that thing. It's just a battery killer.

I accidentally hit mine while riding once and it took me ten minutes to figure out there was nothing wrong with my bike. They need to stop installing those darned things. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beats the heck out of the cage!
Ha! I'm starting to think something is wrong with me. I feel like I am obsessed!

I don't let this come before work or family, but can't wait to ride most days. Like an exercise nut that gets depressed when unable to work out.
I have an '07 9LT with 24K miles
These bikes are meant to be ridden. I've learned that you can always find an older bike with very few miles on it because not every one feels the same as we do about riding. Why do they even bother getting a bike in the first place?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ha! I'm starting to think something is wrong with me. I feel like I am obsessed!

I don't let this come before work or family, but can't wait to ride most days. Like an exercise nut that gets depressed when unable to work out.

These bikes are meant to be ridden. I've learned that you can always find an older bike with very few miles on it because not every one feels the same as we do about riding. Why do they even bother getting a bike in the first place?
How would you know if you don't try? I worry sometimes when I see a 5 year old Harley that was 16k new with 5k miles being sold by the original owner, perhaps you should do something a bit CHEAPER the first time around...

I don't know HOW a person can't fall in love with riding, but I suppose if you are one of those folks who try it and don't like it.. you wouldn't know until you did it!

I agree though, it's an obsession! And I tell ya what, a few months and 8k miles later it's not slowing down. Every single time I get on that thing I fall in love again!

Edit:

Okay I did a little reading. The MSF teaches to use the kill switch always because it can develop a habit that if the engine were to race out of control, your instinct would be to hit the switch. Okay I'll buy that I guess but the real issue at hand is if it's 'bad' for the bike.

Everything else I find simply says the only issue is forgetting to turn your key off and draining the battery, not that the kill switch does any damage. Any thoughts/input? I'm always up for learning something new.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I usually cruise into the parking lot then kill it and coast into my spot

Cool! You are a mindful fellow. Wish everyone was like that.
I accidentally hit mine while riding once
I had to call me wife and tell her because I know I spent a good hour trying to blame the previous owner for giving me a bad battery.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Cool! You are a mindful fellow. Wish everyone was like that.

I had to call me wife and tell her because I know I spent a good hour trying to blame the previous owner for giving me a bad battery.
That's the beauty of riding -anything and everything turns into an adventure or cool story. Most of us don't repeat embarrassing stories about anything else we've done but somehow when it comes to embarrassing stories about riding we don't mind.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's good that you are not in the habit of using that thing. It's just a battery killer.

I accidentally hit mine while riding once and it took me ten minutes to figure out there was nothing wrong with my bike. They need to stop installing those darned things. Just my opinion, of course.
I could see that, but I guess I'm used to it. I basically always use the kill switch but I've never left the key on. Ironically, many times I've left the key IN, but it's kind of a habit for me, I stand up off the bike, hit the key, then take off my gloves/helmet/gear etc.

I guess in an Imminent-crash situation it would be smart to kill the engine with the switch... but man, who is really gonna do that?

I just like it because I don't have to reach down for the key to shut it off, I can kill it, get off, then get the key. Not that it's a big deal, but it is convenient, for me anyway.

That's the beauty of riding -anything and everything turns into an adventure or cool story. Most of us don't repeat embarrassing stories about anything else we've done but somehow when it comes to embarrassing stories about riding we don't mind.

+1! Not to mention the 'brotherhood/sisterhood' aspect of it all. When's the last time someone in a car pulled up next to you in your car and said "Hey man enjoy this weather" or "Nice day to be out" or even "Where ya headed", but it happens to me on the bike all the time. Ever get stuck in a cage on the side of the road? Trying to dodge other cars who don't care that your trying to change a tire or diagnose a problem? My 900 has never left me stranded, but I've pulled up behind guys on the side of the road on their bikes and within minutes we have half a dozen bikes offering everything from a wrench to an offer to ride home and get their truck to tow it back. It's kind of like the 'final frontier' when it comes to strangers helping strangers and people being genuinely compassionate and friendly. Ironically, it's one of the most diverse and dissimilar bunch in the world, but they have one very important thing in common and that's all that matters!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Man, I left the key in my Zook many times hoping someone would steal that thing and never got any takers.

I'm pretty sure hitting the kill switch never crossed my mind when I crashed. LOL

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I crashed with bike laying on my leg, reached over and turned it off with key.

I stopped using kill switch since I read on last forum that it does a number on your battery.

Probably insignificant but using keys reminds me to take it out after turning it off.
somehow when it comes to embarrassing stories about riding we don't mind.
I was embarrassed when I laid it down a week ago. There was a guy trying to help me and I don't remember if I thanked him due to being so flustered.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Man, I left the key in my Zook many times hoping someone would steal that thing and never got any takers.

I'm pretty sure hitting the kill switch never crossed my mind when I crashed. LOL
I didn't crash but I came within inches. Box Truck pulled out into my lane head on. Managed to keep it to the white line (no shoulder) and ride the edge of the road, just brushed up against the truck enough to damage one saddlebag (could've been worse). I agree... shutting the engine off was not high on my priority list!

Also, on the battery, is it just because people leave the key on too long afterwards and forget, or is there an actual reason why the kill switch would harm the battery? Doesn't make sense to me. Correlation doesn't always mean causation. I just can't see how a switch the turns the engine off, when used, would in any way shape or form harm or discharge the battery. Unless of course the rider forgets to turn the key off or leaves the key on for several minutes before shutting it off, but that's not the kill switches fault.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts