Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I have recently taken up motorcycling after years of dirtbiking and started on a sv650. But after some recent front brake failure I was in an accident at a stop sign. No big deal, just smashed forks (pics below!). But not having the time or money for a front end swap I went to craigslist and found a 2009 Vulcan 500 LTD. for $1500 (Lower Mainland, British Columbia). When I shared what happened he gave it to me for $1200. It needs some love, but I see past the dirt and bad dent fix!

The bike started right up after a new battery (sitting 2 years) but would bog under power and eventually gave out when given throttle. I took the carbs out and cleaned them. I gotta say, for 2 years they look very good! I'm hoping that solved the problem.

My question at this point is about the float bowl gasket. Can this be reused? They both are in pretty good condition, but each have a tiny knick in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can reuse the gaskets if they're not leaking. Don't use any kind of rtv or sealant. The gaskets from a ninja ex500 will also work, same engine and carbs. I got my bike in a similar condition, after sitting outside under a tree for a long time. I replaced mine, because once I get my carbs back on, I don't want to have to mess with them for a while. My rebuild thread is in my signature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have them ordered, but my skills test is on Tuesday and they won't be here until Thursday! So let's hope these don't leak in the mean time :S Also picked started painting the tank, fenders, and side covers. Not the greatest job, but decent for rattle cans and a "Paint Booth" on the apartment deck lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I also wanted to ask about pod filters. I've always liked the look and hey that means re-jetting, VROOM. I'm in the process of searching but if you know of a thread that goes through pod filters and re-jetting the carbs, that'd be great. Or if you've done it yourself I'd love some input. I know elevation matters, I am at almost sea level but will be taking road trips up to around 2,000 ft. I'll be taking my first road trip in a couple weeks and any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Last thing, cheap saddle bags or alternative ideas would be appreciated. I was thinking big black ammo cans!:grin2::grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts