Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time finding detailed info on this so I thought I put my experience out there, hope it helps somebody considering this same mod.

PART ONE: Choosing and ordering.

First I have to say I have always like the look of a simple bike, with the least amount of equipment added on, you could say a purer look. After coming back to ridding about 3 years ago, I'm looking to start multi-day trips (starting with the Kawboy Invasion this Summer) and fellow riders from the forum started to recommend I should get a fairing to better handle the air, reduce the stress on my back and neck from battling the wind and ultimately make the long trips (or long hours at a time on the bike) enjoyable.

I have, as many of you out there , experiences where I had to ride against the wind and really felt a strong push against the chest and head, not fun at all. I do have a windshield but like the look of the bike so much better without it that I rarely have it on.

So I started to look into fairings, not trying to turn my bike into something else or trying to achieve any certain look but having the air deflecting capabilities as the main objective.

Started to look at the most common ones and the recommendations found throughout the forum and the web in general, first impression was "this is going to get expensive" . Some fairings out there go for up to $2,000 or even more. You have to consider mounting brackets, color matching, adjusting your headlight and/or turn signals, weight, how it affects the bike's handling, etc. etc.

My budget was not that at all so started hunting for bargain fairings, the thing is, I wanted a new one and decided on a Batwing Fairing Type so my options went down to Memphis Shade (MS), Reckless Fairing (RF), Wide Open Customs (WOC) and Tsukayu Fairing (TSK).

I took into account the looks, material used (ABS or Fiberglass) and overall cost of all, including the mounting hardware, accessories, types of windshields available, overall weight, ease of de-installation and re-installation and (very, very important to me) the capability to integrate a sound system cause this made the adding of the fairing worth the expense. Also came into play the feedback from previous buyers and ratings they have but this turn out to be not decisive cause all of them had people that could swear by their chosen brand as well as bad reviews.

By process of elimination I ended up choosing the "Tsukayu Batwing Fairing", the most important factors were:
• Material: I prefer fiberglass because is repairable, easier to repaint, this type has an outer and an inner part and this makes for a more rigid overall unit (a more rigid overall unit is always a good thing).
• It has the right look for my bike, I like the shape of it better than the other brands (this completely my preference, plenty of likes for all of them).
• I can order in black gel coat, having a black bike I do NOT have to paint it or pay extra for a painted unit.
• Has many options for stereo/gps and speakers, a no-electronics option and;
• The cost of TSK includes all I need for install, brackets, windshield, wire harness, screws. In the cost comparison it turn out to be very competitive, even against the preferred bargain brand MS.

Once decided, I went on research mode: what is the best way to order?, how soon I can get it?, do they have good/bad reviews?, have they been resolved?, how would it fit my bike?, how will it look on the bike? (on this last Q, the TSK site has a very extensive photo gallery, very helpful), what options do I want on mine?, is it easy to install?, easy to take off?

So finally, even do the brand has had some issues in the past, I felt it has resolved them fairly well and they pass my preliminary test, the one thing that still bother me a little was that you pay the full cost in advance and the factory have a 2-6 week delivery policy (more on this later), paying with Paypal made me feel secure enough to go for it.

Even do the waiting for a mod like this gets me very anxious, I have to say that the order and delivery went very smooth, the schedule for delivery was for 2-6 weeks but it got to me in 15 days. Initially thinking it was a bulkier, heavier fairing, when I got it, the thing is surprisingly light, not the bulky heavy thing I was anticipating.

The item was very well packed and protected. All the accessories included, this was one of the reasons I chose this brand, the $560 I paid included the whole deal: Fairing (fiberglass inner and outer shells), support brackets, windshield, wire harness, marine stereo insert with closing door, shipping. About the only thing I would think to add is a stainless trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My search for the right fairing: Part 2

PART TWO: Assembly, install and test.

I ordered the classic batwing fairing, curvy tinted windshield without the electronics (stereo and speakers) to be able to chose the quality and features of them, this decision I made from the research, most bad reviews had to do with quality of sound system, besides, don't see the point of having a CD player in the fairing (would never use it) and the cost of the option with the fairing did not match the perceived quality of the equipment offered. I set my mind on a Media player with BT and USB playing capabilities, I have had very good experiences with SONY and the music control interface is the best I used, the quality of sound is very reliable. A media player is also lighter and less bulky, no moving parts inside to get loosen by vibration. I would be able to get a marine grade unit, this is not available on the site options and will ultimately last longer.

Out of the box it is almost preassembled, just have to put the windshield on and tighten the screws. Assembly time 5-8 minutes, Fairing first installation took me 15-20 minutes including reading the instructions (in reality I only glance at them), very straight forward, bolt on the fork's existing screws (for my '05 1600 classic model at least), different models have different hardware and process for installation. Mine seems to be the easiest type.

On the first short ride was not able to get above 35 mph but I still was able to feel the difference. No wind pushing on the chest and face, easier rolling down the street, a weirdly more secure feel, like a easy cruise feel to it.

The next day I got it to a real test drive. Once I got it up to 80-85 mph feeling most of the air going around me, I did test with one hand to find out where the buffeting was and it goes just above my head and to about 6-8" to the sides of the shoulders. Very nice pocket of calm, still with the feeling of easier rolling, no wind screaming at my ears.

I do get some wind but it comes from the gap between headlight and bottom of the fairing, it is not much and not at full speed, some of it comes from between the forks and the gas tank directs it upward. On the lower sides I do get a lot of wind, it comes from the sides of the fairing around the turn signal area and it hits me on the sides of the lower torso, does not really bother me but in a very cold climate or a very wet area it would be enough to consider.

After a few days use I have noticed a couple of cracks on the acrylic windshield, seemed a little flimsy from the start. Te cracks have appeared on the two side screw gaps, looks like the air pressure has been too much for the thickness of the acrylic. Will contact the supplier about it, will update when resolved.

Over all very good addition to the mule, glad I listened to the friendly advice and that I did my home work. I will post further comments on performance as time and miles go by on this same tread.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My search for the right fairing: Part 2.1

Here are some photos of the fairing on the bike.
As the project goes forward, I'll post part 3 with the stereo install and more photos.
The forum and it's members have help me inmensly with understanding and getting to know my Vulcan. I hope I can contribute and help someone with this info.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks good ,i'm thinking of getting the same one for my bike.
Quick question ,I have handle bar risers that are 2" higher than stock does it look like it would clear the jutted out section on the radio?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have handle bar risers that are 2" higher than stock does it look like it would clear the jutted out section on the radio?
@ Skymaxx: Even the rounded door of the marine insert where the stereo goes in ends up behind the handlebar supports, if they are bulky they might be on the way for operating the stereo, I just measure from my handlebar to the edge of the stereo opening, it is 1-3/4" so only the brackets would be obstructing. The fairing brackets have a couple of extra holes, they are not made for, but allow adjusting the angle a little, this would help clear your risers if they present a conflict.

Once I do write up for the stereo I'll include a pic of this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great ! Thanks, I would really like to put one on .I just didn't want any major issues.
You ordered yours Gelcoated ? if so was the finish decent ,It looks good in the pics.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is gelcoated, it is like painted black, nobody has noticed any difference. If you were very very picky, guess you could notice a super minimal difference, it's maybe a minimal diff'ce in the shine or maybe the smallest of diff'ce on the tone of black, the kind only a pro painter would notice.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Great write-up!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did this frame mounted fairing on my friend's VN900 last season and he loves it, its a late 70s vintage Pacifico fairing off a Yamaha that I modded, made the mount, installed a stereo and speakers, LED spotlights. Came out so good that I decided if I found a Vulcan cheap enough I'd build a cruiser/touring bike for myself. I found two more of the Pacifico fairings on craigslist for next to nothing, one for $40 and the other for $80, both in perfect condition. So next season I have a bike project to install the fairing on my VN1600. Since this will be my 2nd go at this installation I have many improvements to apply, including mounting the fairing about 3" more rearward on the bike.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts