Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had my 2008 900LT since April, and I've put a few thousand miles on it. I've come to the conclusion that while I *love* the bike, I do have two serious issues with it. My previous bike was an '89 Vulcan 750.

The first is the location of the ignition (place you put your key to start it). On the left side, under your leg? Dumbest place I've ever seen. But, that's just an annoyance.

My biggest complaint (and this goes for all the current Vulcan line, as well as many other brands) is the location of the instrument panel (speedometer, etc.).

I know it is all the trend these days to put it on the gas tank. I'd like to take whomever came up with that idea and smack him around with a baseball bat a few times.

Why? Well, if you are like me, and wear a full face helmet...you cannot *SEE* the damn thing at all. The chin guard on the helmet completely blocks out your view of the cluster. I have to take my eyes off the road, and turn my head down to just see it. STUPID!!! Doing that I now cannot see the road at all.

Yeah, I guess if you wear one of those "cool" skull caps like the Harley riders, you don't have that issue. I prefer to protect my face, thankyewverymuch.

This is one of the main reasons I put a GPS on my bike. It is located in the traditional spot of where instrument clusters used to be...up on the handlebars, where you can easily see it. I'll usually put it on the "trip info" screen (showing current speed, tripometer, etc.) so I can just casually glance at it to make sure I'm not about to be pulled over for speeding.

Aside from those two things, I love this bike. Thanks for letting me rant! :p

·
Registered
357 Posts
If i rock my FF forward a bit I can "glance" down at the speedo with just my eyes. Even if the speedo is up on the bars you still take your eyes off the road for a few. hell even in a cage it's the same thing :dont-know:

I just kind of got used to it and starting to feel the bike more for how fast it's going.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We all have our druthers, and nearly all of my motorcycles have had the off/on/reserve valve on the left side, below the tank and some placed the ignition switch close to it. It has just "worked" for me for about 60 years. But if it didn't work for me, I would install an ignition switch where I wanted it, and use the wires from the old switch to connect it. Most of us modify our bikes in some way, and that would be simple enough to solve an aggravating problem, and inexpensive as well.

I too wear a full face helmet, and the instruments on my 2011 Classic SE are always in view. I have only to glance down without moving my head at all to read them. Buying a new helmet is always difficult for me, but I can usually find a Shoei or Arai that fits the shape of me head well, and neither brand has blocked my view. If you are otherwise happy with your bike, I suggest a set of aftermarket instruments mounted where you want them, but that's not the inexpensive modification that the ignition switch is. Again, we all modify our bikes somehow; for me, that's part of the fun of motorcycling.

To each his/her own,
Grandpa

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of these days they're going to perfect the H.U.D. and I will be lined up for one asap. Won't help the no windscreen guys much, but that's their own problem lol.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Aside from those two things, I love this bike. Thanks for letting me rant! :p
No worries on the rant, most of us do it from time to time. Congrats on the bike.

On the ignition switch location. I like the location. My previous bikes all had them near the handle bars or between the tac and speedo on the bars. It always erked me to have the other keys flopping around on the cluster. Having it down under the seat puts it out of eyesight. It does make it a bit more interesting to operate the switch but it's something I have come to accept.

The instrument cluster on the tank is not a newer concept. They have been around for decades. Most days I do ride with a 1/2 helmet. However, there are occasions that I force myself to ride with the FF. The first couple of times I experienced the same blocked vision. During one visit to the local shop I inquired about the vision issue. The shop had me put the FF on like normal. It appears that for years I was wearing the helmet tilted too far towards the rear than I was supposed to. A slight adjustment in the tilt angle and I no longer had the issue.

Enjoy your ride and be safe.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Heyyy.. there's a man who's thinking! I don't like wearing glasses in the helmet though, even if I'm forced to by.. well, crappy vision. You have a very valid idea.. now, how to integrate... hmm.. ok, so the fritzlefram meshes with the grapplegrommet overtop of the whatsis. If we desaturate the thingy.................

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
But the good news is that if you use the GPS for your speed, you'll actually get an accurate number!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I like the instruments because the speedo and the gas gauge are incorrect... said Daboo facetiously. :D

I can re-set odometer, see low gas light, and the correct time so I'm good. LOL!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wear a full-face and a brain bucket, with either one my head is moving around so much being aware I never noticed, plus once you get to speed you kind of go by sound from then on anyway. I have a bar-bag that would cover my bar mounted speedo anyway, kind of like where its at, just saying.

My main bitch is no 6th gear, Im always reaching for that. Even my other dualsport bikes had a 6th. :0/

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My main bitch is no 6th gear, Im always reaching for that.
I keep thinking I will get past this and I still did it today. I've had it well over a year.

4th and 5th are just too close. I do understand the engineering and this is fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One of these days they're going to perfect the H.U.D. and I will be lined up for one asap. Won't help the no windscreen guys much, but that's their own problem lol.
Interesting you should say this, I have a Memphis Fats on my 2012 Classic that kinda works as a half ass HUD. I can see the orange speed needle and I can sorta tell +/- 5 MPH what I'm doing. I know If I keep the needle pointing straight ahead that's about 65-70 and that's where I want to be on the freeway around here to avoid the "speed taxes."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts