Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 2004 XL1200R Sportster 'Roadster' this afternoon. My first Harley in something like 48 years of riding, and about the same number of motorcycles.

I've been looking for this particular model (2004-2005 XL1200R) for a few years now, and an almost perfect, 98% stock, example popped up at our local Kawasaki dealership last week, it was even the color I wanted. I had to sell my 2002 Triumph Bonneville T100 to manage the Sportster deal, but my Bonneville sold this afternoon at about 3:00, and I had the Sportster in my garage by about 4:30.

2,600 miles on it and minty! I got them down to $4650 from their asking price of $5000, which is still a bit over NADA for this model and year, but it's superb original condition justified it to me.

The only things I want to do to it is to find a pair of original, stock mufflers for it because the 'Screaming Eagle' slip-on mufflers it now has are just too damn loud. I'll also remove the small passenger backrest on it and ebay that. I want the bike to be without any extra accessories, and 100% original.

The XL1200R Roadsters differed from other Sportster models in having low and fairly narrow handlebars, mid-positioned foot pegs, full-travel suspension, tach as well as speedometer, and an unusual feature for a Sportster....dual-disc front brakes. They're configured more towards the 'standard' type of motorcycle rather than a boulevard fashion statement.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
jb, a sweet ride. R ver xl1200. Road? Race? Rage? yeah get stock slip on muffs. have em, they work fine. good lines. Mid foot pegs sit you up for a bit more aggressive riding position. hardley has frame mount forward foot rest w/o controls for relaxed ride. I just always put a roll bar all my bikes if ever I drop one I don't care they mess with the lines. have dropped a few not perty. Butt you gott a kick 60s rok n roller. where's yor Elvis bling? poncho

·
Registered
953 Posts
I bought this 2004 XL1200R Sportster 'Roadster' this afternoon. My first Harley in something like 48 years of riding, and about the same number of motorcycles.

The only things I want to do to it is to find a pair of original, stock mufflers for it because the 'Screaming Eagle' slip-on mufflers it now has are just too damn loud.
JB,

My son has stock exhaust pipes off his 2013 Sportster sitting in our shed. They have about 20 miles on em. If the pipes haven't changed, and I don't know why they would, you can have em for $100.00 plus shipping. If interested, we can post pics.

KD

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
JB, My son has stock exhaust pipes off his 2013 Sportster sitting in our shed. They have about 20 miles on em. If the pipes haven't changed, and I don't know KD
sportsters are the same since.. Almost 4 ever. I had 2000, 01, 05, 13. 883-1200 all use same exhaust.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JB,

My son has stock exhaust pipes off his 2013 Sportster sitting in our shed. They have about 20 miles on em. If the pipes haven't changed, and I don't know why they would, you can have em for $100.00 plus shipping. If interested, we can post pics.

KD
I only need the two stock mufflers, not the entire system, and I assume they're chrome and not black. I'll check around a bit more locally, but if I can't come up with something I may take you up on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
JB....congrats on the Sporty. I bought a 1200C two seasons ago as a second scoot and have had a blast on it. Now its up for sale as I need a small car for work.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JB,

KD
Thanks, but I think I've found a set of them over on a Sportster forum for $90 shipped, so I'll probably get them, but I appreciate the heads-up on yours.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a pair of stock mufflers back on it tonight. It's only 40 degrees out there, but had to take it out for a fifteen mile spin of mixed riding to see how it sounded....or didn't sound.

All I can say is...what a relief!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
fifteen mile spin of mixed riding to see how it sounded....or didn't sound. All I can say is...what a relief!
jb,, that operating table looks like it well spell RELIEF to the back when wrenching.. skoot looks nice. How is the Ride, handling, etc. compared to the Bonnie? poncho

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jb,, that operating table looks like it well spell RELIEF to the back when wrenching.. skoot looks nice. How is the Ride, handling, etc. compared to the Bonnie? poncho
It's just a bit 'rougher' than the Bonneville, by that I mean the engine is more of a 'presence' at all times, feeling it's thudding and thumping, and hearing it run. The clutch lever pull is stiffer, but not so much that I really even notice it, but my wife commented on it so it must be true. My Bonneville had a 'sporty', taut, ride quality that seemed a little stiff to me...until my butt met the Sportster's nearly rigid rear suspension and set me straight on what 'stiff' really meant. My Sportster has the nastiest stock suspension I've ever experienced, decent on smooth roads (but what isn't?), but a slamming on anything else.

My Bonneville wasn't too good on corners due to the crap tires I had on it, so I can't say how it would have handled with decent rubber, but I assume they can go around corners nicely with better rubber on them.

The Harley has a nice transmission and shifts well, but the Triumph's tranny was superb and probably the nicest shifting bike I've ever owned.

I can ride the Sportster farther and longer than I could the Triumph, but only because of the Bonneville's rather lousy stock seat.

The Sportster gets better fuel mileage than my Bonneville did. I don't know why that would be, it just is I guess.

I like the belt final drive of the Sportster, and that valve-clearance checks are not needed with it's engine.

The Sportster feels more 'relaxed' at interstate speeds than my Bonneville did, even though my Triumph had an 18 tooth engine sprocket, probably because it's only turning 3500 rpm at an indicated 80 mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts