Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Test rode this yesterday.

Looking to move to a bigger touring bike from my 900 in a year or two. Started looking because I want to be sure and have all stuff lined up when I do it. Love my 900 to death, but I am starting to like doing more and farther with the wife, and something a bit more substantial would be nice.

This one was so nice, it blew away everything else I've been looking at. To the point now if someone came along and offered enough (payoff, plus a bit for all the add ons) I'd sell 'em my 900 and be on a black version of that bike next week.

Also, the dealership is on another level. I didn't think there were still places and people like that anymore. When I got back from the test drive the owner was there waiting for me to ask how I liked it and get feedback.

Great experience...I just don't want to wait anymore.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've decided this will eventually be my next scoot. Threw a leg over one at a dealer, did some extensive research against other baggers, kept coming back to the Crossroads.

btw I hate you so hard right now. They didn't have one ready for test ride when I was there.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I rode 3 Victory models last week, when the Victory semi, loaded with trial bikes, came to a local dealer.

My main interest was the Cross Roads and Cross Country, both of which ride pretty nice. But, I really liked the Kingpin that I rode, the best of all. That bike was smooth as silk. I didn't care for the handlebar/seating position required to ride those bikes and had to quit riding after I parked the Kingpin because my back was killing me. My 900 is customized for my comfort and I was really happy to get back on it, after I'd rested for a while.

I talked with the mechanic there about the issues that I had and he assured me that I could customize any of their bikes, to the same comfort level that I have on the 900. I'm sure that is true and I intend to keep a Cross Roads on my short list for my next bike.

But, to be honest, I'm not convinced that any of those bikes are that much better, if at all, than the 1700 Kawi bikes that I took for a test ride last month, when the Kawasaki semi loaded with trial bikes came to town. I road both a Voyager and Nomad then and had no issues with them. Those will also be on my short list.

For me, the accessories and dealer attitude are going to be big items on my check list for my next ride. For example, I was quite shocked to learn that the Victory tourpack style rear trunk is $1500 US. I don't recall what the hard bags cost, but the Cross Roads doesn't come standard with them. It comes with soft bags, like a Kawi Classic and the hard bags cost extra.

The one thing that stands out to me after riding all of these bikes, is that I feel quite fortunate to have such great choices available. I think that I'd be quite happy with any of the bikes I've tested so far, with only some minor tweaking. But, I also came away with a greater appreciation for my 900 than I had previously held. It doesn't have the power that the big boys have, but it is a darn nice bike that I'd like to keep, even if I do get one of the big ones. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those semi's never seem to make it up this far, and my work pretty much has kept me locked to my town since, oh, Christmas. Local dealers don't have a lot set up to ride. I'm waiting to get on a Nomad and Voyager outside of the showroom. Still deciding if I like a fairing.

The HD bikes are pretty nice, and the support network is great, but I just never felt 'it' on them. Nothing wrong with 'em, just not for me.

I love my 900 as well. I've also got it about 98% how I'd like it :) I'm still on the fence thinking I'll be keeping it even if I get another. Teach the boy to ride it in a few years.

Having been a sales guy for a while in my previous life, and a damned good one according to all the customers (yes, I brag, I believe in that old fashioned-treat em good way) I look for that. I gladly pay a little or even a lot more at some places simply because they do something like remember my name. The dealer I stopped at (Mecosta, MI) the entire staff from the owner to the guys washing the bikes were polite, friendly, and very helpful. I told them I was at least a year out from purchasing, which a lot of places gets an 'ok, let us know if we can help you' and then you become invisible, and they just waved that off and kept talking with zero pressure on me. So I found my dealer if nothing else :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
So I guess eventually we will all meet up on a victory forum soon... I've been researching bigger bikes too. The victory bikes and the vaquero are all on my need to test ride list.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Having been a sales guy for a while in my previous life, and a damned good one according to all the customers (yes, I brag, I believe in that old fashioned-treat em good way) I look for that. I gladly pay a little or even a lot more at some places simply because they do something like remember my name. The dealer I stopped at (Mecosta, MI) the entire staff from the owner to the guys washing the bikes were polite, friendly, and very helpful. I told them I was at least a year out from purchasing, which a lot of places gets an 'ok, let us know if we can help you' and then you become invisible, and they just waved that off and kept talking with zero pressure on me. So I found my dealer if nothing else
I did not buy my bike from the dealer that services mine now, when i go for an oil change, he gives me the keys to his truck so i can go have a coffee (he pays). I would also pay a little more for customer care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided this will eventually be my next scoot. Threw a leg over one at a dealer, did some extensive research against other baggers, kept coming back to the Crossroads.
same here, just that mine will be the cross country, i fell in love with one at a bike show in Toronto ... trouble was i could not find anybody (yes i did look) to sell it to me.

Also, the dealership is on another level. I didn't think there were still places and people like that anymore. When I got back from the test drive the owner was there waiting for me to ask how I liked it and get feedback.
In this economy, its the "customer service driven" dealerships that survive. There are not enough dealerships that realise that their business is not just selling bikes, it is developing long term prospective business relationships.

Nice to hear some positive experiences at bike shops instead of the usuall moaning.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
For example, I was quite shocked to learn that the Victory tourpack style rear trunk is $1500 US.
Kerry, time to think about a trailer. Half the price, 10 times the carry capacity.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Kerry, time to think about a trailer. Half the price, 10 times the carry capacity.
Yes, I understand and agree with your point. I already have a nice hard trunk and some large strap-on bags that I'd use if necessary, which combined, didn't cost anywhere near or even half, the $1500 that Victory wants for that trunk.

I was really taken aback by Victory's price of that unit. IMO, that is more than a little price gouging, akin to some of the HD stuff that I've seen and didn't leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling about the dealership and Victory. Indeed, it put quite a damper on my enthusiasm about those bikes.

Like you said earlier, it's important to me that the company and dealership treat me well and instill confidence in my choice. Price gouging is not the way to do that. Maybe I got the wrong dealer, dunno. I'm in no hurry now, so I'll keep looking.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
lets see what is in the trade in lot behind that Victory. A mid 80's goldwing, a 250 honda rebel and 750 honda shadow. then there looks like 4 hardleys. a superglide, 2 sportys an a vrod. hmm.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My buddy has a sweet Victory , not sure what model but the paint job is cool , this is the best pic I have of it 1st is head on 2nd is far left , can't really see the skulls but the go from the fairing all the way to the hard bags .

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lets see what is in the trade in lot behind that Victory. A mid 80's goldwing, a 250 honda rebel and 750 honda shadow. then there looks like 4 hardleys. a superglide, 2 sportys an a vrod. hmm.
Yeah, they did have quite a selection of used. Which around here is a rarity. A couple maybe, around 6 almost unheard of, and that place had 20 some used. It was odd seeing that many.

If they offered the right price, maybe....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts