Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my new pipes and they sound amazing. Their not as loud as your Cobra, V&H or my D&D slip-ons that I took off but they sound so much better. I was gonna go with the black with chrome tips but the only ones that were available were the chrome with black tips, I just wish now I would have gone with the chrome air breather but I'm happy with the look anyway. A couple of tip for those who get em, install the heat shield before you attach the header exhaust but leave them loose so you can still get to the head bolts. Here's a couple of pics, I have a video but it didn't turn out that good so I'll make another one and post it later. If your thinking about getting FPE's you WILL NOT regret it. These pipes have really nice deep rumble, they almost sounds like a Harley but better. lol!
I drop my bike off in a week to get it custom mapped so if anyone is interested in the map let me know.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
They certainly sound great, the best I've heard so far!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the look of the FP duals. Let us know what you think after the mapping. Any clearance issues with the crossover pipe? It hangs pretty low.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Those pipes look great and I bet they sound even better. Now you and everyone else have me thinking. Sometimes I hate this forum...lol To bad you're not down here so we could compare bikes. Have lots of fun breaking those bad boys in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I LOVE mine as well, best sounding by far... had Tri Ovals and these are WAY better!!!! The Tri Ovals Look nice but I think these out look them as well.....

I would be interested in the map you come up with, waiting for a local shop to get time to map mine....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love the look of the FP duals. Let us know what you think after the mapping. Any clearance issues with the crossover pipe? It hangs pretty low.
No I don't think there's gonna be any clearance issues. I've left some parking lots yesterday with some good dips/drop offs and no problems.

Those pipes look great and I bet they sound even better. Now you and everyone else have me thinking. Sometimes I hate this forum...lol To bad you're not down here so we could compare bikes. Have lots of fun breaking those bad boys in.
Not to rub it in cap but you couldn't imagine how good these pipes sound. When I heard them on shepsvoyager's bike I fell in love with the sound. The guy in our VRA was in front of me yesterday and said he couldn't hear my pipes until I cracked them to him know I was there. lol! Like Ray said these are the best sounding pipes so for our bikes.

Looks good!
I see some one in the area has one same color.
Thank you!

I LOVE mine as well, best sounding by far... had Tri Ovals and these are WAY better!!!! The Tri Ovals Look nice but I think these out look them as well.....

I would be interested in the map you come up with, waiting for a local shop to get time to map mine....
I'm not sending it to the shop til Friday and they'll have it all weekend cause I have to work night and hope I get it back Monday. When I get it back I'm hoping to make a better video and post it and have the map available to send to who wants it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wonder why they didn't make the rear cylinder pipe crossover? That would help equalize the length of the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Wonder why they didn't make the rear cylinder pipe crossover? That would help equalize the length of the pipes.
The way the pipes are routed makes it much simpler and easier to design and
manufacture.

I saw a set of Rinehart true duals on a H.D. that was routed in a manner to minimize the difference in lengths. The front cyl. went back to the right side and the rear cyl. crossed over to the left side. It was not as clean of a look due to the how the pipes crossed in their paths, but it surely made for a more equal length system.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Here is my next set of duals.....

Clipboard01.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking underneath it doesn't appear that there will be any clearance issues, the crossover pipe is not more than a 1\4 inch below the frame at the lowest point, and I ride speed bumps every day with no problem...
let me tell ya guys and gals..... these pipes ROCK!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
manufacture.

I saw a set of Rinehart true duals on a H.D. that was routed in a manner to minimize the difference in lengths. The front cyl. went back to the right side and the rear cyl. crossed over to the left side. It was not as clean of a look due to the how the pipes crossed in their paths, but it surely made for a more equal length system.

RACNRAY
Thanks.. My mind wonders about things at times...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen others talk about FPE and how you lose power by installing a true dual. Maybe on paper it shows the lost of HP but when your in the seat it seem like I've gained a little. All I know is my bike is getting dyno tuned to run it's best "I hope" and sound great.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Generally, duals will increase high RPM power at the expense of the lower RPM. 2 into 1s are going to increase low and mid-range at the expense of the upper RPM range. YMMV

·
Registered
117 Posts
Diehard.... I do remember that Racnray did a dyno on one and said he had to do it in the advanced mode and map each cylinder separately to get the best results, due to the different lengths of header pipe. you might suggest that to who ever is doing your bike... just a thought.
and I'm with you on the power. it may be just an illusion because it sounds so GREAT but i'm ok with that......

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diehard.... I do remember that Racnray did a dyno on one and said he had to do it in the advanced mode and map each cylinder separately to get the best results, due to the different lengths of header pipe. you might suggest that to who ever is doing your bike... just a thought.
and I'm with you on the power. it may be just an illusion because it sounds so GREAT but i'm ok with that......
I will suggest it to him but these are the type of people that work mostly on Harleys and probably don't wanna be told what to do...but they are good and their only charging me $70 to do this. My old D&D pipes are going to a guy I met that owns his own custom MC shop and making me some 12" mini apes and trading me even up, he has a set on his Vaquero and they look great.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I will suggest it to him but these are the type of people that work mostly on Harleys and probably don't wanna be told what to do...but they are good and their only charging me $70 to do this. My old D&D pipes are going to a guy I met that owns his own custom MC shop and making me some 12" mini apes and trading me even up, he has a set on his Vaquero and they look great.
I gotta interject some warnings here. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to completely and accurately dyno tune and create a full custom map for $70.00!!! Unless there is some other bartering goin on any dyno shop will absolutely lose the azzess charging $70. My feelings is that they are only gonna tune at full throttle. This area of the map (aka 100%) is really the most unused and un-important throttle position to tune at ecept for bragging rites).

The PCV5 has a multitude of throttle positions that allow tuning over the entire throttle position range. 0,2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80 and finally the 100%.

If my educated guess here is correct they will tune at full throttle, BUT YOU WILL NOT feel any differences nor will there be any differences in the other areas of operation.

I highly suggest that you confer with the tuner and ask will they be tuning AT ALL THROTTLE POSITIONS. It takes just too darn long to tune a PCV, and add into that the option of also developing a custom ignition map at the same time me feels even that $70.00 is gonna be a waste of ur hard earned cash.

PLEASE, feel free to contact me at my shop so I can better explain. I really hate to hear about improper dyno tuning cuz most peeps are not aware of really what is involved.

Call 954-455-9665 9-6:30 m-fr 9-3 sat Florida time

RACNRAY

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I thought I was the only one thinking this. Just sounds logical and would look better too IMO.

manufacture.

RACNRAY
I would think if properly done the front CY going straight down the right side and the rear CY crossing over would actually look better and come closer to equalizing length.

I gotta interject some warnings here. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to completely and accurately dyno tune and create a full custom map for $70.00!!! Unless there is some other bartering goin on any dyno shop will absolutely lose the azzess charging $70. My feelings is that they are only gonna tune at full throttle. This area of the map (aka 100%) is really the most unused and un-important throttle position to tune at ecept for bragging rites).

The PCV5 has a multitude of throttle positions that allow tuning over the entire throttle position range. 0,2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80 and finally the 100%.

If my educated guess here is correct they will tune at full throttle, BUT YOU WILL NOT feel any differences nor will there be any differences in the other areas of operation.

I highly suggest that you confer with the tuner and ask will they be tuning AT ALL THROTTLE POSITIONS. It takes just too darn long to tune a PCV, and add into that the option of also developing a custom ignition map at the same time me feels even that $70.00 is gonna be a waste of ur hard earned cash.

PLEASE, feel free to contact me at my shop so I can better explain. I really hate to hear about improper dyno tuning cuz most peeps are not aware of really what is involved.

RACNRAY
Quality always, let me say that again, always, costs more because it takes more time

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

RACNRAY
I'll do some asking Ray and yes he is probable tuning it at the throttle only. I'm not a professional by all means but if he can set my enough to get the hesitation out of my throttle I'll be happy with that. I've talked to local people that he's done their bikes and that were very happy with the results. Yes I am a little skeptical on what the out come will be but I've got about 4k into the bike now, what another $70 to give him a shot. How ever he does it I was told he can give me a print out of the results. Last year another guy and I went to a bike show that had a dyno truck and he had them run his bike to see where it was setting and he bike was spot on and nothing they could do for him. The same guy that I'm paying $70 to also did his bike.The same bike show will be back in another weeks who says for the $200 that they charge, they aren't just gonna tune the throttle on a machine? When I ordered my PC I didn't realized I ordered the one w/ignition or I would've ordered it w/o.
I guess the bottom line is...You get what you pay for but I will be asking some question and bring up the points that you made.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts