Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only have about 400 miles on the bike. Installed the SW front pulley. This corrected my speedometer to show the correct speed(assuming my Honda Accord speedometer is correct). As far as breakin goes how long before things start to smooth out? If I get a little aggressive with the throttle(and I don't mean WOT's) my bike seems to shudder a bit as I go up though the gears. Not a smooth roll-on. It could be vibes set up by running into the wind because when running downwind the vibes are substantially less but are still there. Does this sound normal?

Thanks for the help.
Jim

·
Registered
976 Posts
Is it speed related or rpm related? Speed could be the need for lowers as you will experience buffeting without them.

Otherwise, everything will start to smooth out between 1000 to 7000ish miles.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is it speed related or rpm related? Speed could be the need for lowers as you will experience buffeting without them.

+1 I expected a major "settling" with my 1st service and oil change, but I didn't really get that smoothing out sensation until 3000-3500 miles. Now the acceleration through the gears is like butter!

Interesting to note that a friend at church has been riding his brother's sportster around, getting a feel for bikes again, and before he bought his own, he wanted to test ride my 9'er custom. He hopped out in a large parking lot and put ol' Redemption through her paces, parked her, and with a grin said, "MAN!! That thing is SMOOOOOOOOTH!"

He also said the Vulcan was a "much more comfy ride", but to be fair, he's 6'4" like me, and the sportster just isn't built for our type of frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Upwind vs downwind

The LT has quite a large windshield. If you are riding against the wind (upwind), especially against a gusty wind, and pull in the clutch lever the bike may experience a momentary shiver or shudder as the wind pushes on the windshield. Riding downwind the wind works the other way to keep the bike moving. I don't claim this is what is happening to you, but I have experienced something similar with my LT.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Wind buffeting

I purchased my 08 -900 Agnus Magee used in Feb. of this year with 2000 miles, and have just passed 5000 and it seems like just around 4800 miles things smoothed out in just about the last 200 miles. I just installed lowers (Memphis Shades) and took her on a test ride this evening and found a noticeable change on the hwy with getting beat up by the wind at 70 mph. So I would give it a couple of thousand miles before worrying about it. And 2 thumbs up to the lowers.......I am getting too old to worry about looking cool on the bike without a windshield to keep from beating the heck out of my neck....:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

MC, it's RPM related. It seems to have this shudder at the end of each gear level just before I change to the next gear. I have lowers. Put those on before I had a hundred miles. Absolutely necessary on the LT. I have close to 500 miles now and it does seem to be smoothing out some already. Ya know, you just get concerned when it's your bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The LT has quite a large windshield. If you are riding against the wind (upwind), especially against a gusty wind, and pull in the clutch lever the bike may experience a momentary shiver or shudder as the wind pushes on the windshield. Riding downwind the wind works the other way to keep the bike moving. I don't claim this is what is happening to you, but I have experienced something similar with my LT.
Upstate, I have already cut the stock windshield down quite a bit. I may still need to do some more. With each cut I feel improvement(reduction) in the drag produced by the windshield. I cut a little at a time so as to not cut too much. I felt that the large shield really held the bike back, especially when going into the wind, along with the vibration. Really, with lowers I don't think you need that much of windshield. Shields like Memphis slims are only 18 or 19 inches wide. Right now I've cut the stock shield down to about 21, so I may have a little to go. Yeah, you can tell the difference with upwind vs downwind riding but that's true on any bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sketso, thanks for your input. The more I hear from you folks the better I feel. I guess I'm just a baby and need reassurance(LOL). Like I said elsewhere here, I can feel it getting better day by day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts