Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kid around a lot here at this website and try to contribute as much as I can but this subject... Alzheimer's, hits close to home for me. Since this website is by far my favorite place to visit, I wanted to share this.

I rarely get involved in major causes but this is a biggie to me because my mom and almost all of her family members had Alzheimer's. I hate Alzheimer's with a passion and am aware that it is a disease that could possibly affect me. I don't fear it but I am realistic. I believe with the technology and intelligence that we have today, unlike ever before, there is a chance to rid the world of this terrible brain destroying disease.

I've gotten involved in a Walk to end Alzheimer's to bring attention to it. Please take a look at this link and if you can, please donate to this great cause. I truly believe that every one in America will have someone in their lives affected by dementia or Alzheimer's.

Please personal message(PM) me if you would like more information. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Darryl

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My mom sat in my lap one time like she was my girlfriend. I was a little uncomfortable but she was midway into Alzheimer's and... it broke my heart. I was blessed! My mom never forgot that I was her son. She died from congestive heart failure but I learned a great deal about this terrible disease. This is why I decided to get more involved. I hope that you'll find it in your hearts to do the same.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to reveal something that I've not told anyone. Mainly because you don't know me and see me every day.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to be affected by Alzheimer's. This is the only time I question myself and that is when I'm in the car... driving along not knowing what I'm thinking about and in an instant, I don't know how to get where I'm going. I've even pulled over until I could get my bearings.

This is very disturbing because it only happens in the car and probably happens about a dozen times a year. I don't get panicky but for a few minutes, nothing looks familiar to me. So, I continue driving and try to relax and even though sometimes I may pass where I need to turn, I eventually come to my senses.

This is scary! No one that I know has ever told me that they experience the same thing.

I know that this is not a sure sign of Alzheimer's but it shakes me enough that I feel that I need to be involved in someway. If I did not experience this and have family members who have suffered with this disease, I would probably not give much time to reading about it and feeling like I need to do something for the cause.

I read about beta amyloid plaques that kill brain cells and rob humans of their minds. Scientists know what happens but can't stop it.

You know what? I do not want to live a very long time... I just want the time that have here on earth to count and I want my brain working as well as it can until the day that I die. I don't question God but I can't help but wonder why there are things like Alzheimer's.

We don't have a choice to what will affect us physically... even if we try to take good care of ourselves. Nothing is promised!

Man may never find a cure for many diseases, but we are living in a time that if they could, now is the time.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
That is one of my biggest fears.

Other than the fact i need to drop a few lbs, I'm in decent health.

But.. I'm 45. How long until I do start having issues? 10 more years? That's not very far away.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one of my biggest fears.

Other than the fact i need to drop a few lbs, I'm in decent health.

But.. I'm 45. How long until I do start having issues? 10 more years? That's not very far away.
They say that you can have the beginnings of Alzheimer's 10-15 years before symptoms begin. A majority of the ages it affects is late 60's and up. I'm 55 and in good shape due to exercise and diet so I am attempting to delay dementia/Alz if this is my fate.

The crazy thing... when I'm on the 900, I never have a directional problem. I'm always focused and alert. The car is so comfortable that I'm sure I get a little distracted in my thinking and before I know it, I'm not recognizing the same areas I've been in many times before. It's disconcerting! It's enough though for me to ask myself what is wrong with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts