Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, get your mind outta the gutter:D

I wanted to access my storage pockets on the Voyager while riding, maybe to get a smoke or get to the garage door opener but those locks make it difficult without digging for a key. Here is what I came up with.

First get a couple of keys made. I went to Ace hardware and they had the Kaw key blanks. Buck apiece.

Then get out the dremmel and cut the head of the key off.

Now get yourself some chrome radio knobs for a Honda GL1800.

Take the dremmel and cut a slot on the part of the knob that slides on over the radio shaft.

Insert the key into the lock and push the knob on over the key. Here is where you will have to make some adjustments to the length of the key so the knob will be low enough to cover the key hole on the lid. Take baby steps here and keep shortening the key until you get the right length

Now get some epoxy.

Center the key in the knob and pour in some epoxy and let it set up.

When you're done insert key and enjoy.

When you leave your bike, just pull out the knobs and lock them in one of the pockets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a great idea i use roads with tollgates and sometimes forget to leave money in my jacket, this will help a lot for that thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
YOu did mean while stopped instead of while riding I hope. Otherwise, I would say you chose your online name well. LOL!

I keep my IPOD in one pocket and paperwork in the other so no need to access.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cool idea. I always worry when I open one of the compartments while riding, afraid that the key will somehow blow away when the lid is open. If the key still works in the ignition, I wouldn't leave it on the bike. At least not down here...

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
YOu did mean while stopped instead of while riding I hope. Otherwise, I would say you chose your online name well. LOL!

Are you serious? You would feel inadequate to open a storage pocket while riding? Hmmm

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Are you serious? You would feel inadequate to open a storage pocket while riding? Hmmm
I have more important things to do while riding than risk taking my attention off the road to dig into a compartment not meant to be opened while riding.

I know it is hard for you to imagine David but I live where there are very few straight roads unlike where you live. :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool idea. I always worry when I open one of the compartments while riding, afraid that the key will somehow blow away when the lid is open. If the key still works in the ignition, I wouldn't leave it on the bike. At least not down here...
The short key will not work in the ignition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, I do access the pocket while riding. Did it for years on the wing. I DON'T fiddle with it while riding the dragon or any road that requires complete attention. My scenario might be this: Heading down the interstate, cruise on, and want a smoke. Reach down turn knob and grab a smoke. Or sitting at a light and want pocket access for whatever reason. Beats digging in your pocket for the key.

I understand your concerns, and I do not access the pockets if I feel there is reason to remove my attention from the road.

Take care and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes, I do access the pocket while riding. Did it for years on the wing. I DON'T fiddle with it while riding the dragon or any road that requires complete attention. My scenario might be this: Heading down the interstate, cruise on, and want a smoke. Reach down turn knob and grab a smoke. Or sitting at a light and want pocket access for whatever reason. Beats digging in your pocket for the key.

I understand your concerns, and I do not access the pockets if I feel there is reason to remove my attention from the road.

Take care and ride safe.
Thanks for the clarification and understanding my view point. Since most of my roads more resemble the dragon than a drag strip I don't usually think about doing anything but riding when I ride.

I could see the convenience for quick access when stopped though if I had anything in them that I wanted to access.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and understanding my view point. Since most of my roads more resemble the dragon than a drag strip I don't usually think about doing anything but riding when I ride.

I could see the convenience for quick access when stopped though if I had anything in them that I wanted to access.
I've needed to open the pocket at a red light to get out my E Pass before entering the toll road, so I just pulled the key out of the ignition and used it to open the door. Shut door, remove key, slip it back in the ignition, drive away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've needed to open the pocket at a red light to get out my E Pass before entering the toll road, so I just pulled the key out of the ignition and used it to open the door. Shut door, remove key, slip it back in the ignition, drive away.
Sounds good. But I don't leave the key in the ignition while riding.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have more important things to do while riding than risk taking my attention off the road to dig into a compartment not meant to be opened while riding.

I know it is hard for you to imagine David but I live where there are very few straight roads unlike where you live. :p
Well of course I'm talking about a straight road and in a sensible traffic situation. I figured that would be just understood without saying. SOP)
Funny thing is, I have yet to need to do this. But I wouldn't have any reservations in doing this on a straight road.:)

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts