Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a hot day in Texas. My gas light came on at the usual 200 miles and I was within a couple of miles of a Shell station, so why not stop and put the usual 4 gallons in the tank!

I pull up to the pump, take the key out of the ignition, step off my bike, and watch it fall! :eek: :eek: I felt foolish but no harm as the Baron engine guard did it's job... Whew!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Shew, don't ya just hate that. I usually do not have that problem. Mine usual is "why did the bike die" oh yeah the stand is still down.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Faulty auto-kickstand? Isn't that a warranty recall?

At least you had enough sense to let it go. A younger version of me wasn't that smart, screwed up both shoulder joints.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Faulty auto-kickstand? Isn't that a warranty recall?

At least you had enough sense to let it go. A younger version of me wasn't that smart, screwed up both shoulder joints.
I hear you, plastic is cheaper to replace than skin and bones. lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's a hot day in Texas. My gas light came on at the usual 200 miles and I was within a couple of miles of a Shell station, so why not stop and put the usual 4 gallons in the tank!

I pull up to the pump, take the key out of the ignition, step off my bike, and watch it fall! :eek: :eek: I felt foolish but no harm as the Baron engine guard did it's job... Whew!
Something similar happened to me at the last Texas Kaw-Boy roundup :eek:. Luckily I tipped away from "Poncho-Villa" :eek:. Heat and fatigue will make you forget basic steps.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So! If you break it, just get another.

I just do not see what the big deal is with bike builders. Our cars tell us when we leave our lights on or auto cut off. Why not have a simple beep when we switch off to remind us kickstand is still up? How much would that cost?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Been there - done that !! in a Macca's carpark with lots of spectators - quite embarrassing isn't it !!?
Since that day I have a procedure : come to halt - side stand down (that cuts off the engine) - get off the bike- sunnies off - helmet off and so on to make sure it will never ever happen again ....

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
switch

Been there - done that !! in a Macca's carpark with lots of spectators - quite embarrassing isn't it !!?
Since that day I have a procedure : come to halt - side stand down (that cuts off the engine) - get off the bike- sunnies off - helmet off and so on to make sure it will never ever happen again ....
Not to hijack the thread, however, doesn't doing that move the switching load from the design ignition switch (with hopefully larger NI oxide contacts) to the much smaller safety switch? I have to believe that doing that operation would significantl shorten the life of the kickstand switch.

I'll think on this and see if there is a simple circuit that we can wire to accomplish a blinking light or an audible alarm. I think it's a great idea!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, however, doesn't doing that move the switching load from the design ignition switch (with hopefully larger NI oxide contacts) to the much smaller safety switch? I have to believe that doing that operation would significantl shorten the life of the kickstand switch.

!
Ignition system current does not run through interlock switches, so no harm done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is good advice. I too forgot to lower my kickstand about a month ago. Embarrassing .......... precisely. Fortunately, a friend told me that just about everyone does it at some point in time. He said it and I believe it :p.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That bike sure gets alot heaver when it gets past the lean point your expecting.

About 2 weeks ago I was at local bar and it was there big Harley give away night. Out door event , live band , lots of people , bikes every where.

These 3 guys come rolling in and proceed to park there bikes right in front of the stage. About 100 people right in that immediate area.

One of the guys forgets his stand and falls over with his bike. ( Harley no less , they lean way over any way ) Every one was cool and helped him right it.

About 10 min later they were told they had to move there bikes. That was the area every one was in for the giveaway.

I felt really bad for the guy , kinda double embarrassment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Self-lowering sidestand"... man, I gotta get one of those. That must come with the deluxe Kawi option package that includes an accurate gas gauge, calibrated speedo, a second trip odo readout so you can track fuel consumption AND leg mileage (like, yanno, Honda Shadows and a hundred other bikes), a six-speed tranny w/ a true overdrive top gear, a seat designed for real human butts, and a SPRING-RETURN engine cutoff switch that automatically resets to "RUN" after you kill the engine. Darn the luck, my '09 Custom SE didn't come w/ that option package.

I've never forgotten to put my sidestand down (so far!), although Vulcan's post is a good cautionary tale. I have, however, more than once- 1) tried to start the bike while in gear and sidestand down- doesn't work, DUH, and 2) tried to start the bike after shutting it down in neutral w/ the red cutoff switch, and forgot to return the switch immediately to the "RUN" position (and, I have riding buddies who love to do this after riding my bike) ... used bad language (WTFO!) while stabbing away at a dead "start" button before my mental "clue light" illuminated... gee, the bike starts just fine when the ignition is "ON" and the cutoff switch is in it's normal "RUN" position, DUH...

I usually turn my motor off by shifting into first gear, braking to a stop then kicking the sidestand down... every once in awhile, and only when parked on the level, I will coast into a parking space in neutral, kill the motor w/ the red cutoff switch, and then immediaely click the switch back to "run" (ALMOST all the time); immediately reset of the cutoff switch is a habit I've had to build. I basically never stop my motor with the ignition key; , I have been assured by several mechanics there is no danger of damaging the bike's electrical system or components by shutting down by lowering the sidestand (in gear), or hitting the cutoff switch. As sfair implies, they are both low power signalling circuits/components which provide run-or-stop command signals to the ignition module. The owners manual (pg 57, and several other places) recommends normally stopping the motor with the ignition switch/key. My take is, Kawi wants to train riders to stop the motor with the main ignition switch every time to ensure the whole ignition system off so as not to run down the battery, and hopefully not walk away from the bike without taking their key. Like putting down the sidestand, forgetting to turn off the ignition switch and not taking my key before leaving the bike is not something I've done so far, but I suppose it's a possibility if I was tired and distracted enough... eternal vigilance is the price of riding safely and correctly. Check everything, double check the important stuff... SH.

·
Registered
100 Posts

LOl.... I had to laugh about that, Sad thing it happen to me 3 TIME!:eek: After a long day working out side in this Texas heat, I get home and let my bike lean over on the stand, well it would not stop leaning over. lucky me my floor broad stop it from going all the way down, and no one around to see it:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
i got a job offer in Texas, and seriously thought about since i would be able to ride year around, but after a few months of high 90's and 100+ days in MI, im glad i passed on it, had a six hour ride on the 4th of July it was 108 that day, it was so miserable didnt ride the bike for a week afterwards

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The temperature was over 105 degrees! :D Truth is, I just don't know why I would forget the kickstand. I believe that most people who are involved in an unfavorable incident/accident would love to have the opportunity to go back and do something differently.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
When I did that on my Honda Shadow, there was an SUV to my left so my handlebars scraped up the door badly. Fortunately, a very sweet woman said that the car was old, she was going to keep it until it died and not to worry about it. SWEET!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts