Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would share pictures of the other two bikes in my garage. The first is a 2007 HD Dyna Street Bob. It is my wife's (we just traded her sporty in at the same place I bought my Vulcan). Has a mustang solo seat, windshield, and a hypercharger. Otherwise it's pretty basic, and she is happy with it. It's a big step up from an 883 sportster to a 1573cc (96 c.i.), 6 speed Dyna, but she is loving it:

My pride and joy is my sportster though. I bought it from my dad when I was in Iraq Here it is (almost the same) as when I bought it from my dad. (I had added the road king shocks at this point):

Then I cut the rear fender a little and put a solo seat on it, changed out the tail light and turn signals.

Then I decided to just say screw it, put hard struts (soon to be an actual hard tail) and cut some more:

The only caveat is that I swapped out the exhaust with Bassani Pro Streets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
883 currently. Getting the Vulcan allowed me to start tearing into the sporty the way I really wanted. It will be getting a 1250 kit from either Hammer Performance or NRHS, A true hard tail, when I have the engine out the frame will get painted and the tins will ultimately get painted desert tan with the army star on the tank.

It also has a fat boy headlight on it which completely changes the look of the bike (IMO)

J

·
0 Posts
My wife is dead against it, but I'm probably still going to buy a Sportser one of these years, but the only model I'm at all interested in for myself in is a 2004 or 2005 XL1200R 'Roadster', and I want it to be bone stock, exhaust and all. I figure it would complement my T100 Bonneville.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Nice bikes, Cadillac! I especially like the Street Bob!!

Jbacklund, why is your wife dead against you buying the Sportster?

J

·
0 Posts
Nice bikes, Cadillac! I especially like the Street Bob!!

Jbacklund, why is your wife dead against you buying the Sportster?
She doesn't like Harley-Davidsons in general, and sportsters in particular. I, on the other hand, like certain Sportster models of certain years, but I'm very fussy about it. I appreciate the Sportster for the true classic motorcycle that it is.

It doesn't really matter, if I want to get my Sportster, she'd roll her eye's, get that disgusted look on her face and that'd be it, I'd have my Sportster.

She told me many years ago that as long as we're together, there are two things that I cannot have, one is a banjo, and the other is a Harley-Davidson.

The irony in all this is that SHE then bought a 2003 V-Rod about three years ago, rode it up until late last year, and then traded it in for a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa. She didn't consider the V-Rod to be a 'real' Harley-Davidson, so it was ok for her to own one.

Anyway, over time she has softened up a bit on the old 'NO HOGS' rule, and If I was willing to pay $20,000(+) for a Softail Deluxe or Road King, I could now go do it. I'm just not willing to pay that much for a single bike......and to be honest, I'd probably go for an Indian Chief instead anyway.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
She doesn't like Harley-Davidsons in general, and sportsters in particular. I, on the other hand, like certain Sportster models of certain years, but I'm very fussy about it. I appreciate the Sportster for the true classic motorcycle that it is.

It doesn't really matter, if I want to get my Sportster, she'd roll her eye's, get that disgusted look on her face and that'd be it, I'd have my Sportster.

She told me many years ago that as long as we're together, there are two things that I cannot have, one is a banjo, and the other is a Harley-Davidson.

The irony in all this is that SHE then bought a 2003 V-Rod about three years ago, rode it up until late last year, and then traded it in for a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa. She didn't consider the V-Rod to be a 'real' Harley-Davidson, so it was ok for her to own one.

Anyway, over time she has softened up a bit on the old 'NO HOGS' rule, and If I was willing to pay $20,000(+) for a Softail Deluxe or Road King, I could now go do it. I'm just not willing to pay that much for a single bike......and to be honest, I'd probably go for an Indian Chief instead anyway.
LMAO - well, that's just crazy.

I had a husband once that told me I couldn't do something. That's why I HAD a husband. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too bad we have to spend that kind of money to get it to perform like an 800 should..
Oh I don't know about that. I mean I'm not going to pretend my sporty is comfortable to ride, but it does have the same hp as the vulcan 900 stock for stock, and more torque. And drop a grand for the 1250 kit and you just jumped up to 75 hp to the wheel. So it's not too bad. At least the Sportster has a large enough aftermarket that you can essentially get it to where you want it. I'd love to do an 88" conversion on it, but that would be costly haha.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Too bad we have to spend that kind of money to get it to perform like an 800 should..
Oh I don't know about that. I mean I'm not going to pretend my sporty is comfortable to ride, but it does have the same hp as the vulcan 900 stock for stock,

And drop a grand for the 1250 kit and you just jumped up to 75 hp to the wheel.
It doesnt feel like it...
Off the line....The 8 and the 9 have no trouble out-running almost anything on 4 wheels.
Our 883 has lots of trouble with cars.

Exactly

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
can we get some deliverence here?

I'd probably go for an Indian Chief instead anyway.
why am I hearing dueling banjos in the background to this story?? dang voices in my head..

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why am I hearing dueling banjos in the background to this story?? dang voices in my head..
I love the 48's. I really want to put a wide glide front end on my bike to put the bigger front tire on. The only issue I have with the 48's is the size of the tank.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I love the 48's. I really want to put a wide glide front end on my bike to put the bigger front tire on. The only issue I have with the 48's is the size of the tank.
I bought a 3.5 gal tank for longer rides. It goes 150 miles b4 runs out. You don't want to sit on this that long. Only 1" rear and 2" front suspension. Seat is, well it is. butt it's a blast to ride and runs like snott. 74ci. Big fatt front tire us solid at hiway speeds, not squirrelly like skinny biches. can toss this lite weight around thru the benders. rubber mount motor shakes at stop lites is full of character. It's realy an affordable eXile copy. www.exilecycles.com poncho

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a 3.5 gal tank for longer rides. It goes 150 miles b4 runs out. You don't want to sit on this that long. Only 1" rear and 2" front suspension. Seat is, well it is. butt it's a blast to ride and runs like snott. 74ci. Big fatt front tire us solid at hiway speeds, not squirrelly like skinny biches. can toss this lite weight around thru the benders. rubber mount motor shakes at stop lites is full of character. It's realy an affordable eXile copy. www.exilecycles.com poncho
Nice, I've never seen the exile cycles. Those are nice.

I've tried a bunch of different setups on my sporty. The hard part is that It's frame mount so you feel every vibration. My wife had a rubbermount that she traded in for the dyna, and that was worlds better. But I love my vulcan now. Smooth ride, no vibration, the bike doesn't feel like it's going to fall over at idle.

At one point I wanted to turn my sporty into a mini touring (kind of like what they did with the 1200t). Had a big old windshield, saddle bags, Road King shocks, Lepera seat. Wasn't a bad ride. Then I started cutting it. Added the Bassani Pro Street exhaust, hard struts, springer seat. I have to say that the hard struts with the springer seat is 100x more comfortable than the stock setup was on it. Now I can't wait to put a true hard tail on it.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I'm diggin the look of that 48 too. Nice ride Ponch!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts