Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
This is my first post. I am buying a 2008 V2K Classic in Diablo Black with only 5700 miles. I am buying it from a dealer for $6300 and they are putting a brand new rear tire on it (part of the deal...even though the existing tire has around 1k miles left on it) Its has Kuryakyn Grips with Throttle Boss, Boss Saddlebags, Kawasaki Windshield, Boss Windshield Bags, Kawasaki Sissy Bar w/ thick backrest pad, and Kawasaki passenger floorboards. This bike was my second choice of the V2K's that I was looking at.
My First choice was a 2008 base model Vulcan 2000 in Metallic Diablo Black with OEM pin striping and a studded Mustang 2-piece seat.. with only 2300 miles on it...for $7k. However.... even though I love that nacelle headlight...it was getting in the way of the future big plans that I have for my first bike... which I decided was going to be one of the four models of the Vulcan 2000 family. The bike was also in Florida...and I am in Illinois. So it was hard to justify paying 10% of the total cost of the bike to ship it. (I'm not experienced enough to ride it all the way back from Florida by myself.) I am just now getting my motorcycle license...even though I have rode quite a bit on my girlfriend's 2007 HD Street Glide... but mostly on country roads and low-traffic highways. I have always been into boating, jet skiing, four-wheeling, and hunting. But then...I got bit by the motorcycle bug when I met my girlfriend at 33. She had just gotten a Sportster at that time...and I did everything to get her to sell it... because I was worried! She was hooked...and to get me to shut up...she upgraded all the way to a Street Glide. I knew that talking her out of it was not going to happen.. and at the same time.. I began to really appreciate riding her bike on beautiful evenings on country blacktops and compacted oil and chip roads. I got hooked... but not on Harley Davidson...I GOT HOOKED ON RIDING! I knew that my first bike was either going to be a metric or a Victory... because I flat out refuse to pay that kind of money for a HD...and I am not going to buy a HD with over 20,000 miles on it... it's just not going to happen. Besides...I disagree with Harley Davidson. They need to focus on the heart of their product...their engine! If they don't go liquid cooled... they better copycat the Victory engines...because their engine technology needs to be thrown away... with a new blank sheet for modern mechanical engineers to make their mark. They should know this because of the success they had with the v-rod (with a little...or I mean A LOT of help from Porsche) I really wanted to support America when I bought my bike.. but I found the Victory bikes to be too costly as well for the size/type of bike that I wanted... which was a big bagger that I could customize to be my very own!
It didn't take me long in my research to find the V2K...or this forum that I have been spying on for over 2 months now. I was looking for a long trip bike that I could have fun with on short cruises as well. I wanted modern engine technology, power, size, uniqueness, and RELIABILITY. I like the classic cruiser look.. but that nacelle on the v2k base model brought a modern..futuristic twist onto the classic cruiser. I would have bought that model... but I wanted to leave the option of a future custom fairing with inner fairing and radio open for down the road.
Anyway.... I have big plans for this "BEAST" ... and I sure hope you all will take part in influencing me with your seasoned knowledge of this great bike.
My first plan is to put new pipes...new bags...and new seats on this beast. Here is what I have selected for this:
1.) Vance and Hines Powershots
2.) Corbin Beetlebags
3.) Corbin Studded Dual Touring Heated Seat with Solid Backrest

Please give me feedback on these selections. I am also considering the Hard Krome Big Straights.

I also want to add a chrome radiator cover... but with no designs or anything that impedes airflow. I just want a well made plain one... ANY SUGGESTIONS? (The one I like is discontinued!)

I also want to throw a tachometer front and center on the handlebars... ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Anyway.. This was way too long of an introduction. Sorry!
Hope to hear back from you'all!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Spinillo,

A Vulcan 2000 Classic is really your first bike?

That is one serious leap!

Anyway, unless the space is too cramped, I would suggest the Baron 3" Bullet Techometer from Baron Accessories. It is extremely well made, fit nicely on my 800 Classic, was a snap to install, works perfectly & looks very good (not like some add-on after-thought).

However, the 800 Classic has an anolog [dial] speedometer with a black face, so this analog tach, also with a black face, (white also available) compliments the stock look exceedingly well. The 2000 Classic may be a different story.

Speaking of the price of HD's. A fellow Vulcan owner as asked, "Why'd you buy that? Couldn't you afford a Harley?", the Vulcan owner replied, "Oh, I can afford a Harley, I just can't afford the clothes."

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Like griffjo said a v2k for your first is a big leap.

Like you I refused to spend the money for an HD and then spend more to make it fit me.The v2k looks to be a great bike but I needed hard bags so a Nomad was my choice after being off 2 wheels for 30 years.

The v2k turned out to be a limited production bike so if like you say the plan is to add several mods do them soon as after market suppliers will probably stop stocking the add on's for it.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks For The Warm Welcome!

Thanks Everyone! Yes... The V2K is going to be quite a leap because of my lack of experience...but I am a slow cruisin' style of rider. It isn't that much bigger than my girlfriend's street glide which I ride so well.... But I'm sure it is quite a bit more powerful and torquey than her 96ci HD dual cam engine. I am seriously considering the vance and hines powershots right off the bat with the hard corbin beetle bags and corbin dual touring seat. I'm probably going to sell the kawasaki windshield and the boss bags...so if anyone is interested...just let me know. I am a little over a week away from actuallly possessing this bike because it is 3 hours away and I am waiting for a big check for contractual work to pay it off in whole. As soon as I get it.. I will post a pic of it..and before and after pics as I modify it. I am considering the switchblade quick release windshield for it. If anyone has the vans and hines powershots....or a switchblade windshield... let me know how you like them. I want a good sound.. but not too loud because a sound system will eventually be deployed. What other alternatives are there for a quick release windshield? Does fire and steel still make the basic chrome radiator cover? What is the best full synthetic oil for the beast? Is scraping the floorboards really an issue?...if so..what can be done to prevent that from occurring? (any way to raise an aftermarket kuryakyn floorboard...but then the brake and shifter will be too low wouldn't it? Is the rear shock really that bad? I am 6 foot and weigh 250 lbs. Thanks again for all your help! You guys have helped me this last month with all your seasoned technical info on the vulcan and it's accessories. I've been reading through these threads.. and just now joined since my purchase is final.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wow that's a lot of questions, I will just focus on the shock and let other s answer some of the other questions. If you are riding only solo and not a lot of luggage the stock shock will do for a while. I put the Ohlins remote adjustable shock on this year and WOW what a difference! Used to bottom out whenever I had a passenger or loaded up with luggage and hit any serious bumps. With the new shock the ride is better, no more bottoming out and I can adjust on the fly. Downside is that the shock is pricey-close to a grand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hockeyref

I actually stumbled across that shock a little over a week ago online. I couldn't believe the price! It looks like it is top of the line! I will be riding solo most of the time since my girlfriend has her own bike...but i will be packed full of luggage on long trips! is there any alternative? what about progressive?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Break your paragraphs up some. White space and line breaks are your friends :)

In the pic below, you can see where I mounted a Barron's 3 inch tac on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice Ride Smedlin!

Wow. Nice Bike! I love the paint job and the flame theme on your accessories.

I was looking at that Baron tach when I was considering the bug eye v2k in Florida...actually it was already on that bike. It makes sense for the bug eye... but on the classic you can put it front and center.

I haven't figured out how to insert a picture, but this is the bug eye I almost bought:

I got the dealer down to 7k & they were going to throw in the stock master cylinder cover and screws which were missing since it had that baron tach...

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Kawasaki-Vulcan-2000-110896280

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
...I got bit by the motorcycle bug when I met my girlfriend at 33. She had just gotten a Sportster at that time...and I did everything to get her to sell it... because I was worried!
I'm having a hard time getting past this. You met a girl and immediately tried to get her to get rid of her bike? Kinda douchy. Especially given your history with motorized toys. But now you got the bug so it's OK.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
I was looking at that Baron tach when I was considering the bug eye v2k in Florida...actually it was already on that bike. It makes sense for the bug eye... but on the classic you can put it front and center.
You can mount it anywhere. That's just where I choose to. They have bar mounts for it also.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I actually stumbled across that shock a little over a week ago online. I couldn't believe the price! It looks like it is top of the line! I will be riding solo most of the time since my girlfriend has her own bike...but i will be packed full of luggage on long trips! is there any alternative? what about progressive?
The progressive is about half the price. All the research I did indicated that the Progressive is somewhat better than stock, but if you want a substantial improvement that will make a big difference buy the Ohlins. The price kept me away for 2 seasons until I finally took the leap, have never been sorry I made that choice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
864 Posts
You might want to take the Motorcycle safety coarse and the advanced coarse, you will be throwing around the beast with way more confidence.
I have every chrome add on offered, including the rad cover. There are many options on where to buy em and still lots of choices.
If you go with new exaust remember if you change air breathers you will need a new computer chip. I have a Power Commander 3 on one bike and a PC 5 on the other, i cant tell the difference.
Good luck and safe riding. Here are some links for stuff.
Bulldozer

http://www.shopscootworks.com/search.htm?pageNumber=1&&searchProducts=vn2000

There have been some bad reviews about these guys taking a long time to deliver but i never had a problem and i have bought lots of stuff from them. I always called and asked them if the part i wanted was in stock.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kawasaki-2000-vulcan-accessories
A few good things on here.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow. Nice Bike! I love the paint job and the flame theme on your accessories.

I haven't figured out how to insert a picture, but this is the bug eye I almost bought:

I got the dealer down to 7k & they were going to throw in the stock master cylinder cover and screws which were missing since it had that baron tach...

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Kawasaki-Vulcan-2000-110896280
FYI Smeds bike is considered by many to be one of the coolest out there. And better in person.
Its also the only reason i can figure his wife married him, talk about marrying up. In his case its way up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another BIG +1 to taking the MSF course. It's not just the power. We don't say new riders should start on smaller bikes because we think they'll get on it and do 140 down the highway with no experience. It's because they are heavier, and have stronger engines. There's less room for error. You cannot get away with the rookie mistakes most of us would make. Myself, for example. 2 or 3 times when I was first starting riding, I stopped at a stop sign or a light at the wrong spot, used the wrong footing, and suddenly had all of the weight of my bike on one leg. Common rookie mistake. Not something you can teach, you've just gotta get a feel for it. If that was on a big heavy V2K? I'd have dropped it. If you rev it a little too fast on a shift or accidentally pull the throttle steadying yourself after a maneuver? With as much torque as a 4 door car and as much per-cylinder volume as a 488 cu. in. V8 between your legs you are gonna be hurting.

Now, not trying to disuade you. You're an adult, you know what's best for you; I don't know you, you know you. But I am convinced that anyone who wants to ride any bike, ESPECIALLY a heavy and strong pulling bike, should take that course. It'll give you skills and confidence to really do well.

Just my $0.02! Good luck to you! Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another BIG +1 to taking the MSF course. It's not just the power. We don't say new riders should start on smaller bikes because we think they'll get on it and do 140 down the highway with no experience. It's because they are heavier, and have stronger engines. There's less room for error. You cannot get away with the rookie mistakes most of us would make. Myself, for example. 2 or 3 times when I was first starting riding, I stopped at a stop sign or a light at the wrong spot, used the wrong footing, and suddenly had all of the weight of my bike on one leg. Common rookie mistake. Not something you can teach, you've just gotta get a feel for it. If that was on a big heavy V2K? I'd have dropped it. If you rev it a little too fast on a shift or accidentally pull the throttle steadying yourself after a maneuver? With as much torque as a 4 door car and as much per-cylinder volume as a 488 cu. in. V8 between your legs you are gonna be hurting.

Now, not trying to disuade you. You're an adult, you know what's best for you; I don't know you, you know you. But I am convinced that anyone who wants to ride any bike, ESPECIALLY a heavy and strong pulling bike, should take that course. It'll give you skills and confidence to really do well.

Just my $0.02! Good luck to you! Hope you enjoy it.

I am taking the beginner msf course all weekend. Started it tonite from 6-10. Thanks for the heads up. I am a little bit intimidated by the size and weight..... i thank you for the heads up. I have a lot of learning ahead of me...and my low speed skills are not good at all. I am going to take this with extreme caution and keep you all informed of my progress along the way...hopefully incident free!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Good call on taking the course. I liked it and got a lot out of it.

If the V2K is what you want for your first bike, go for it. You'll get used to the size & weight in no time. Just be sure it has crash bars...I mean engine guards. Not so much for crashing, but this thing is heavy, and if you get it leaning (going slow or standing still) very far it's likely going to lay down.

If you "settle" for something else, you'll regret it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts