Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my new Mustang seat with backrest arrived today by UPS. Thank goodness it is a federal holiday, I am off, and UPS delivers on Columbus Day.

I made my first payment for the seat to BillMeLater which the Mustang Seat w/ backrest was offered on the Dennis Kirk website for $516. I didn't have the money upfront after an unexpected trip I had to make last month.

I was skeptical about the Mustang seat and justifying that much money for a seat and backrest but I knew I needed to replace that stock seat.

I installed the Mustang seat and went for a 118 mile ride today. Just got back. So here are my observations.

I don't recall people mentioning some of the things I noticed, so in case others missed them also, they are included here.

1. Easy to install. You have to remove the locking mechanism from your stock seat and put it on the Mustang seat. Easy as passing gas in an empty room.

2. It just looks great. I have the Classic LT so I got the rivets and whatever those dangling leather straps are called, on the seat. It looks great. Yes, I repeated myself.

3. The backrest is not permanently mounted. It slides right out, which would concern me with theft but would be a good club in case I need to swing it around and pummel someone with the padded backrest.

4. The seat makes you sit higher. I am guessing between 1-2" higher. With that change in height, it feels like I am riding a completely different bike. I have to get used to starting, stopping, and sitting at lights since those are all different feelings compared to the stock seat. Definitely noticeable height change for a 68" guy with 31" inseam.

5. The seat is very comfortable with the backrest. Two thumbs up folks. You get the Fonz.....AYYYYYY!!!!!!! I didn't ride w/o using the backrest so I can't compare how it feels riding with just the Mustang seat. So for that, my thumbs are in the neutral position. mn- -nm

6. Slouching really isn't an option with the backrest on. You sit upright quite a bit more than with the stock seat. Less stress on the back obviously but a little less "cooler" looking seated position.

Overall: The seated was well worth the money....so far. At least, for the first 118 miles, it felt great. I will have to see how I feel in the morning also. LOL!
Will I need a pillow to sit on at work, in the morning or will I feel hunky dory? We shall see.

"And that's the way it was......."
"And now you know......the rest of the story"
"Goood dayyy......."

·
Registered
123 Posts
And it only gets better. I don't have the backrest but it's the best 335 I've spent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine should arrive Wednesday. Looking foreward to losing the monkey butt. Glad there were no glitches. I ordered mine from Dennis Kirk as well. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I guess I screwed up with the OEM Gel seat. I find myself squirming around more on it than the stock seat. My butt does not get numb like the stock seat but just don't seem to find a comfortable position on it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You won't need a cushion.
Me and my wife still love the Mustang.
I don't even bother using the backrest anymore.
Had the seat over a year now and am wishing the drivers portion sat a bit higher now.
Maybe I'll get an inch or so added to it to give my legs a bit more room whilst riding

·
Registered
48 Posts
It only gets better each time you ride. Figure 500 miles to break it in. Way superior to the OEM seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Put 7000+ miles on my Mustang seat this summer and it's formed itself nicely to my bottom. I love it but then again I knew I would since my old bike had one also.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The only thing you might want to put on that thing is a fur or beeds to let your rear end breath. That will keep Monkey butt away. Make your own or by one from Alaskan Leather Mind you, that's only if you're going to be on the bike all day. Talc does a pretty good job but once you've had MB and had another 1000 miles to go, you'll wish you'd done something different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Story without pictures absolutely s__k folks. Anyone have the Corbin? I have a Corbin on my sport bike and was going to order one for the Vulcan.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a couple hundred miles on mine. My wife says it's "THE BOMB" for passenger comfort - which was the primary reason for purchasing the seat. As for myself - all I can say is that it was worth EVERY PENNY.
The only reason I would ever consider putting the OEM seat back on is if I were to sell the bike.

If you're considering an aftermarket seat, consider the Mustang! :cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not planning on changing my seat, nor do I have any experience with the Mustang, but... I give you kudos for the quote:

"And that's the way it was......."
"And now you know......the rest of the story"
"Goood dayyy......."
America has been much poorer without Paul Harvey.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Story without pictures absolutely s__k folks. Anyone have the Corbin? I have a Corbin on my sport bike and was going to order one for the Vulcan.
No NO HERETIC!!! You'll burn for such blasphemy!!

I've sat on a Corbin on a Nomad, it was broken in for a guy with a smaller frame than mine. He swore by them. I don't know if it's better or worse, I just know anything was better than STock. But I've done 16 hour days on my Mustang and only stopped because I got there. No rear end troubles whatsoever.

I think there are some minor style differences/ colors /backrests but folks like em too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have heard that the mustang seats raise the height by 2 inches and move you forward as well. Have any of you noticed this? One popular complaint has been that you are too closer to the tank and crunched up. It might offer relief to your butt, but how has these other factors affected/improved your ride?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Mustang seat is definitely the way to go. I know that I wouldn't have put over 5000 miles on my bike since the end of June without changing from the OEM seat. And, I'm still riding every chance I get, including this morning with temps in the mid-30s here in Upstate NY.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes I do sit higher, maybe closer to the tank BUT I'm 6'2" and after a week or so of riding I like it more. I didn't have to adjust my highway pegs though so it couldn't have moved me too much further forward.

·
Registered
273 Posts
seat

I don't fell I'm sitting any higher with my seat, I'm 6-2 and come to the stops and it feels the same. I take my BR for around town but it is on there everytime I go any miles at all. Wife doesn't like the studs so I got the regular one. Bought mine off the bay for $539, for some reason Dennis Kirk wanted more for the non studded one. Why would that be?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have heard that the mustang seats raise the height by 2 inches and move you forward as well. Have any of you noticed this? One popular complaint has been that you are too closer to the tank and crunched up. It might offer relief to your butt, but how has these other factors affected/improved your ride?
Yes, it moves you both up and forward 1 to 2 inches. I'm 6'1", medium/large build, 190 lbs., and still have plenty of seat between me and the tank. I don't feel scrunched up at all. The position is just slightly more compact as would be expected from moving forward an inch or so, but through it briefly felt different, it never felt unpleasant or awkward. If anything, if feels a bit more natural, like I'm more "of" the bike than "on" it, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did someone mention Heretic? :)

Okay, since I saw say Heretic earlier, my 3 cents. I bought my 900 Custom this past June. Couldn't go 30 miles without having to stop, in pain, on stock seat. I'm 6'2", 250 lb. Bought the Mustang with removable backrest. Maybe due to my size, now it takes about 60 miles before I start to hurt. Still, even then doesn't hurt as much as stock seat. Starts to get pretty bothersome after 200 to 300 mile same day rides, but give me a few minutes standing and off the seat, can go another 60 miles before starts bothering me again. Got some flat foot pegs to replace the stock rounded pegs, helped some more. Wish I could go pain free like a lot here seem to, but in total way better then stock seat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Krravi, good point. I too am 6-0, 220lbs and put a Mustang on my 07Custom. I still swap out for the stock seat whenever I take the bike to the shop and I definitely prefer the riding position on the Mustang and after about 15k miles its still as comfortable as when I bought it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts