Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14,000 miles of everything from interstate to mountain twisties. Hit a few wear bars on the front tire as you can see.

Here is the front.

and the rear.

The rear still has a ways to go to hit the wear bars but the edge of the rain grooves is starting to lift a little.

As you can see I do lean this bike over.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You guys (or gals) with 14K or more miles on your tires must drive like Granny, or maybe weigh 98lbs. ;)

Wish I got that kind of tire life.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guys (or gals) with 14K or more miles on your tires must drive like Granny, or maybe weigh 98lbs. ;)

Wish I got that kind of tire life.
If Granny scrapes pegs and rides the Tail of the Dragon, The Devil's Triangle and the Cherohala Parkway for fun, then I guess I ride like Granny :p

The Dunlop E3 bias ply tires are designed for long life. Of course it is not just weight and riding style, but also road material and temperatures that make a difference.

How many miles did you get out of a set of Elite 3 bias tires on your bike?

·
Registered
735 Posts
14,000 miles of everything from interstate to mountain twisties. Hit a few wear bars on the front tire as you can see.

Here is the front.

and the rear.

The rear still has a ways to go to hit the wear bars but the edge of the rain grooves is starting to lift a little.

As you can see I do lean this bike over.
I would've replaced those a few thousand miles ago. Rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would've replaced those a few thousand miles ago. Rather be safe than sorry.

what size e3 rear radial are ya'll running?
I run the Bias Ply. The master tech at my dealer said because of my riding style I would not be happy with the feel of radials on a bike designed for Bias Ply tires.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why? I just hit the wear bar and immediately replaced the front tire in the middle of my trip. The wear bar is the indicator saying it is time to replace.

I run the Bias Ply. The master tech at my dealer said because of my riding style I would not be happy with the feel of radials on a bike designed for Bias Ply tires.
I've never gotten to the wear bars on my tires. Maybe I've been replacing mine too soon. The last 2 sets (Dunlop D404s) had plenty of tread left, but there was considerable cracking in between the treads, so I replaced them, probably before I needed to. I'm now running the Purelli MT66. Much better tire than the 404s. No cracking at all.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've never gotten to the wear bars on my tires. Maybe I've been replacing mine too soon. The last 2 sets (Dunlop D404s) had plenty of tread left, but there was considerable cracking in between the treads, so I replaced them, probably before I needed to. I'm now running the Purelli MT66. Much better tire than the 404s. No cracking at all.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not heard anything good about the 404s. Of course age may have gotten the better of them as well. I have 22,000 miles on the 2010 Voyager so tires don't sit around much on it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have not heard anything good about the 404s. Of course age may have gotten the better of them as well. I have 22,000 miles on the 2010 Voyager so tires don't sit around much on it.
Nope, both sets were less than a year old. Cheap rubber is what it was. But these Purelli's are excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts