Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can be long winded, but I'll try to be concise! I bought my Classic in February after selling my M109. I wanted to get something that was a little more laid back and something I could put miles on. The M109 was comfortable enough, but the windshield choices out there are not great, and either suck . . or diminish the cool factor immensely. Miss the hyper-speed setting though!

I bought my '09 with barely 800 miles on it, if you can believe that. Had a light bar, case guards and saddlebags.

I just fitted the Custom World backrest, Cut down the Ghost Brackets so it all fits nice and precise, and am now going to notch the backrest so I can merey loosen the bolts and slide it off. That will be this week I hope. It's on now, but I like the convertible aspect of accessories.

I then went to work on the front end. I stripped the fork lowers, removed the triple trees and painted them a low gloss black which mimics powder coating well in my opinion. Paint was baked on in all cases.

I then added Chrome World front wind deflectors and attached them by using the lower holes and tapping the triple tree and rubber mounted the upper portion there. It looks clean, factory and can be left on with or without a windshield as the upper mount was originally designed to tie into a windshield bracket.

This week, I added my Batwing fairing. And, If I wasn't sure about the looks of the bike before, The Batwing pulled it together for me. I run Aux. lights and JJ helped a ton in my deciding whether they would work or not. They definitely do. Thanks again JJ.

Yesterday, I popped two baffles out of the exhaust as a "do for now" measure and while it isn't throaty enough for me yet, it helped. I'm going to ride this season and get some miles on the bike before I get into the whole intake/exhaust controller aspect . . (I think!!!!)

In a week or so, My Mustang Daytripper saddle will be here to further the journey a little more.

Here some pics. . . .

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

·
Registered
851 Posts
Bikes looking sharp! One good thing about a black bike is you can add goodies and in most cases no paint required. That seat is gonna make a big difference!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting there . .

You are right about that. The Batwing looks great even though it doesn't have the fleck character the factory paint does. if it gets scratched over time, I'm just going to have it dipped I think.

The stock saddle is OK soft, but OK. It sticks up where it should be a little bucket and for me and I'd guess, most . . it's right at the tailbone. I think while it's off, I might play with the foam and scoop it a bit. We'll see.

Ultimately, I want a Vacquero, but used ones are hard to find . . .

Bikes looking sharp! One good thing about a black bike is you can add goodies and in most cases no paint required. That seat is gonna make a big difference!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks good for sure but I am biased lol. I have a 09 Classic with similar mods. I just did the Ray throttle mod with black avon grips turnkey from Ray and great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I noticed you had a GS .. funny . . I had a 1979 GS1000E that I resto-modded . . I did it in British racing green with charcoal tank panels, bikini fairing, Yoshi 4 into 1 with a Suzuki Bandit 1200 Stainless canister. I took it to the frame and rebuilt it. I had to as the stator/rectifier went and by that time it was too late. I called it "Total Recall". It looked factory, but left people scratching their heads, "hmmm looks familiar", but the exhaust threw them. All the tank and side cover badges were restored as well. It was a fun project. I sold it and bought my first Vulcan a 1500D and it started all over . . .

How long did it take you to get the grips . . and what the heck does he do to them? What are you running for exhaust? Us Classic guys have to stick together . . they are a little black sheepish . . .

Looks good for sure but I am biased lol. I have a 09 Classic with similar mods. I just did the Ray throttle mod with black avon grips turnkey from Ray and great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can't have one if you can't spell it. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
SWEET! Those lowers are awesome. Now you really made me want a light bar!

I'm sure you will love the new seat. I realize now why some people say it moves you up, while others say it moves you back...It is just totally different, like riding a different bike.

Lookin good!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yesterday, I popped two baffles out of the exhaust as a "do for now" measure and while it isn't throaty enough for me yet, it helped. I'm going to ride this season and get some miles on the bike before I get into the whole intake/exhaust controller aspect . . (I think!!!!)
Did you remove the back two centre plates from each of the mufflers or just the one from each?

I just removed two from each...stopped before hitting the catalytic material, and now I have the dreaded "Chirp" on decel that at least one other forum member mentioned experiencing. It's a high pitched noise when I let off on the throttle.

Now I have literally ruined a perfectly good set of Classic Mufflers!

Other than the "Chirp" they actually sound pretty good...maybe it is just peculiar to doing the hole-saw mod on the Classic Mufflers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cool. I noticed you had a GS .. funny . . I had a 1979 GS1000E that I resto-modded . . I did it in British racing green with charcoal tank panels, bikini fairing, Yoshi 4 into 1 with a Suzuki Bandit 1200 Stainless canister. I took it to the frame and rebuilt it. I had to as the stator/rectifier went and by that time it was too late. I called it "Total Recall". It looked factory, but left people scratching their heads, "hmmm looks familiar", but the exhaust threw them. All the tank and side cover badges were restored as well. It was a fun project. I sold it and bought my first Vulcan a 1500D and it started all over . . .

How long did it take you to get the grips . . and what the heck does he do to them? What are you running for exhaust? Us Classic guys have to stick together . . they are a little black sheepish . . .

My GS is stock with the exception of a" Frankenstein" type exhaust,fork brace and a 530 chain/sprocket conversion. I like to get on the GS and stretch my arms a bit occasionally. My Classic is basically stock with no performance mods other than RACNRAY'S throttle mod. Ray stocks both Kury and Avon grips with the throttle mod and he turns them around very fast. I was very impressed with his service. Just shoot RACNRAY a pm and he will fill you in. I plan on doing some performance mods in the future as they become more readily available. Right now I am looking to improve comfort as my age dictates (53) lol so I will probably in the next few days order the Daytripper you are waiting for. My old a$$ needs all the relief it can get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just tying to catch up to you!

I'm sure you will love the new seat. I realize now why some people say it moves you up, while others say it moves you back...It is just totally different, like riding a different bike.

Lookin good!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too funny! I'm a ripe ol' 46 and I sold the M109 because I was tired of getting beat up by the wind . .but my @$$ felt fine. On this bike, I won't stop till it's the whole package. Throaty exhaust, firm seat and wind protection . . .

I contacted Racnray a few months ago to ask him what it was all about, but he didn't tilt his cards. I sent him a PM today. The weather here has not allowed me to ride for long, but the "slack" in the throttle will bug me so I'll fix it right now!

The GS sounds cool . . .I gotta scan some pics of the ol' girl. It's funny, I sold it locally 7 years ago and have not seen it since the day I sold it. On the contrary, the guy I sold my M109 to texted me yesterday and said that he went out for his first ride and loved it. I apologized for the lack of attention it gets and the lack of power!

Go Classics!

My GS is stock with the exception of a" Frankenstein" type exhaust,fork brace and a 530 chain/sprocket conversion. I like to get on the GS and stretch my arms a bit occasionally. My Classic is basically stock with no performance mods other than RACNRAY'S throttle mod. Ray stocks both Kury and Avon grips with the throttle mod and he turns them around very fast. I was very impressed with his service. Just shoot RACNRAY a pm and he will fill you in. I plan on doing some performance mods in the future as they become more readily available. Right now I am looking to improve comfort as my age dictates (53) lol so I will probably in the next few days order the Daytripper you are waiting for. My old a$$ needs all the relief it can get.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Lookin good!
I just experimented with the Mustang Daytripper. It makes you a little taller in the saddle and sets you back a little also. Being that I'm right around 5' 9" it was a little iffy for me as far as being able to flat foot a bike that heavy...The seat is comfy but I just didn't feel right sitting higher and back...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting and thank you! . Back is good .. higher . . not so much for me. I am tall, but I like to sit low. Did you find that the foam used a big upgrade from stock? I hope so. Looks like I'll be having the Daytripper shaved!

I just experimented with the Mustang Daytripper. It makes you a little taller in the saddle and sets you back a little also. Being that I'm right around 5' 9" it was a little iffy for me as far as being able to flat foot a bike that heavy...The seat is comfy but I just didn't feel right sitting higher and back...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Too funny! I'm a ripe ol' 46 and I sold the M109 because I was tired of getting beat up by the wind . .but my @$$ felt fine. On this bike, I won't stop till it's the whole package. Throaty exhaust, firm seat and wind protection . . .

I contacted Racnray a few months ago to ask him what it was all about, but he didn't tilt his cards. I sent him a PM today. The weather here has not allowed me to ride for long, but the "slack" in the throttle will bug me so I'll fix it right now!

The GS sounds cool . . .I gotta scan some pics of the ol' girl. It's funny, I sold it locally 7 years ago and have not seen it since the day I sold it. On the contrary, the guy I sold my M109 to texted me yesterday and said that he went out for his first ride and loved it. I apologized for the lack of attention it gets and the lack of power!

Go Classics!
I plan on doing the big 3 mods in a couple of months as my budget allows. Probably V&H big shots, Thunder Air and EJK fuel processor. I have close to 4 years left on my warranty so it looks like I am going to keep the Classic for a while. By the way I have a light kit coming to dress up the engine a bit but mainly to be more visible in the early morning and night hours.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lights are cool although I'm not a fan of being seen from space . . accent lighting looks sharp though.

I am definately in favor of the EJK, although I haven't figured out the rest. RACNRAY did an awesome air mod . . but he's not sharing how he did it and I haven't spent the time to figure it out yet. Nice job though . . he posted pics here somewhere!

I plan on doing the big 3 mods in a couple of months as my budget allows. Probably V&H big shots, Thunder Air and EJK fuel processor. I have close to 4 years left on my warranty so it looks like I am going to keep the Classic for a while. By the way I have a light kit coming to dress up the engine a bit but mainly to be more visible in the early morning and night hours.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
VERY VERY NICE!!:) Your skoot deffinately has a true "classic" look to it!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Ray . . . getting there. A couple more mods and then it will be time to pack on some miles. . . . Your grips and a new saddle are key components!

By the way, totally dig the exhaust cap you made for your "cowboy"! Love it when folks do one-off mods! Very cool!

VERY VERY NICE!!:) Your skoot deffinately has a true "classic" look to it!!

RACNRAY

1 - 20 of 21 Posts