Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting this on here before I begin. I've loved bikes for 20yrs, but this is my first and I only have a permit right now (full license to come this spring). However, with a new wife and new chapter in life, I'm doing it. I've always loved the V-rods ever since they came out and this is the closest I've seen in an import to that style. With that, I present to you the beginning: bone stock.

Attachments

·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have multiple options for tails and corners on the counter in my shop, but am probably going with Harley-style tinted bullet LED signals front and rear, relocate the plate to the left side axle with led bolts, and run a fish-eye or finned brake light, depending on which is brighter once I get to see them live. I also have an under-the-fender LED brake light on the way to see if it will fit in the curve properly. My tattoo guy wants to do the paint, and I've decided on the style of a p-40 WWII plane. I'm going to commit to rustoleum olive green for ease of application (don't have to remove the tank and works well on metal and plastic) and more frequent touchups because I'm sure I'm gonna screw something up along the way, and I've done multiple fenders and touchups on cars over the years so I know it can really turn out well with even mediocre patience. I've taken the tail fender down half way just to see what was under it and it looks simple enough. I also have several templates coming in to tape off and spray the effects.

Right now the only thing that is stopping me is we haven't had a day over 35 degrees in weeks and there is currently 6" of snow fallen with no end in sight. When I dig into the wiring, I'm going to do paint at the same time. I'm holding off on the exhaust until I can find one that is more pipe and less carbon because I'm going to use header wrap that will match a canvas-style seat I'd like to do. After blackpearlgirl's writeup on the headlight swap, I'm likely to do the headlight in the summer once I've gotten the bulk of all that done.

So it's all just sitting there waiting for a good day to begin =) The road in front of my house looks like an ice cobblestone path because of all the packed down snow and freezing temps we've had over the last few weeks, so I haven't even been able to ride.

Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you took off the stock mirrors, did you plug or cover the mounting points? Im trying to figure out what people are using or buying to cover them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have multiple options for tails and corners on the counter in my shop, but am probably going with Harley-style tinted bullet LED signals front and rear, relocate the plate to the left side axle with led bolts, and run a fish-eye or finned brake light, depending on which is brighter once I get to see them live. I also have an under-the-fender LED brake light on the way to see if it will fit in the curve properly. My tattoo guy wants to do the paint, and I've decided on the style of a p-40 WWII plane. I'm going to commit to rustoleum olive green for ease of application (don't have to remove the tank and works well on metal and plastic) and more frequent touchups because I'm sure I'm gonna screw something up along the way, and I've done multiple fenders and touchups on cars over the years so I know it can really turn out well with even mediocre patience. I've taken the tail fender down half way just to see what was under it and it looks simple enough. I also have several templates coming in to tape off and spray the effects.

Right now the only thing that is stopping me is we haven't had a day over 35 degrees in weeks and there is currently 6" of snow fallen with no end in sight. When I dig into the wiring, I'm going to do paint at the same time. I'm holding off on the exhaust until I can find one that is more pipe and less carbon because I'm going to use header wrap that will match a canvas-style seat I'd like to do. After blackpearlgirl's writeup on the headlight swap, I'm likely to do the headlight in the summer once I've gotten the bulk of all that done.

So it's all just sitting there waiting for a good day to begin =) The road in front of my house looks like an ice cobblestone path because of all the packed down snow and freezing temps we've had over the last few weeks, so I haven't even been able to ride.

Thanks for asking!
Can't wait to see that paint job!

·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Because I can't wait til it's done, here's the back end so far. Brake/riding light is a modified Harley sportster light. It's going to be kind of military-themed.

Correction: It's not exactly a Sportster light, but a universal. I've looked at a lot of pictures of Sportsters because they have more aftermarket parts available and was seeing what was available. I kept seeing this kind of tail light in particular on the Sportsters and wanted one, but found that they were wanting premium prices for them, so I found an identical duplicate. It was cheap enough that if it didn't fit, I wasn't out but $17. Taillight link here! I had to modify the tail fender on the bike by marking on the underside and then shaving it down with a coarse file until it matched the reduced curvature of the lens. Then it was a matter of fine filing and then sanding with 600, then 1000 sandpaper. Now it meets up with the fender and is super bright in that it angles up slightly at the car behind you, so it's clearly visible when it comes on. I felt the fender overhung the light too much, so the modification was needed in my opinion. I riveted it to the fender because it was matching exactly what I'm going for as far as looks, though the double-stick tape that comes with it is pretty strong by itself. The wiring is pretty clear with black-black, red-red, yellow-blue, or something like that. One wire is a different color, but after trying it I found the other two wires were correct and this was simply a different color.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts