Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer swap out my front pulley with the Baron's the other day. Installation was only $36, so that was good (shop charges $60 an hour for labor).

When I first got the bike back, the gears seemed really tall, but this feeling disappeared quickly and I think some of it was mental. After about 15 miles, I adjusted. I found that 2nd and 3rd gear seemed the most affected in that I was able to stay in both for a few more mph without feeling the need to shift. Fourth gear also felt a little different, I could cruise at 52 mph without feeling the need to shift. However, I could still shift at my old points without lugging the engine provided I wasn't on a hill or something. Going WOT off the line, yes, I can tell a difference in the low end. It's not huge, but it's there.

My speedometer was pretty darned accurate before (I got lucky, it seems) in that it was only about 1-2 mph fast. With the new pulley, it is dead on up to 60 mph. When the bike's speedo reads 60, the GPS reads 61 now. At an indicated 70, I'm doing 72 on the GPS, and at an indicated 75, the GPS reads 77-78 mph.

Cruising at 72 actual feels fine, like I can do it all day. I can feel a little buzz through the floorboards at 77-78 mph. The bike still revs high which is to be expected considering the minor change, but it doesn't buzz as much. So far I feel this was a worthwhile swap. I have about 40 miles on the new pulley so far. And if I don't like it, $36 to swap again is cheap enough.

Also, there's no squealing, if anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You cruise at 50 in 4th? I'm all stock, but if I'm cruising at 35 I'm in 5th.
The manual says you can do that, but I wouldn't want to. I like being able to roll on the throttle if I need to get out of a sticky situation, and running in 5th at 35 mph sacrifices acceleration. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The manual says you can do that, but I wouldn't want to. I like being able to roll on the throttle if I need to get out of a sticky situation, and running in 5th at 35 mph sacrifices acceleration. Whatever floats your boat.
It might sacrifice acceleration, but it does save gas. I do it all the time, and just downshift if I need a little more pull.

Doc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different strokes for different folks. I'd want to downshift twice to get reasonable acceleration if I was at 35mph in 5th gear, and that would have been before the pulley swap.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
35 IN FIFTH?
I'm in second at that point....third if I'm "cruising"....
These bikes shouldn't be "short shifted"....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tend to shift pretty much the same as a manual cage:

1st - 0-15
2nd - 15-25
3rd - 25-35 (sometimes 40)
4th - 35-45 (most times 50)
5th - 45(50)+

Isn't that the general rule of thumb anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was thinking about changing the pulley but after all.....i only ride local and i cruise on 40-45 all the time with 5th gear and fell very smooth. i would say only change pulley if i ride freeway often. all depends what fits your riding style. coming from shadow 750, vn 900 is a lot stronger to me and very happy about it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ok, according to Pacomutt's formula, when I'm doing 35 in 5th gear I'm turning 1945 rpm. If you're in 3rd you've got to be turning over 3k. That's highway rpm. To each his own, but I'm comfortable in 5th about 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Nice write up on the Baron's front pulley. For the price I would have ordered the Baron's had been available.

As to all the discussions on gearing, I have both front & rear pulleys. I have always rode by feel with respect to RPMs. Around town 25-40mph I'll be in 2nd & 3rd, back roads 40-60mph I'll run 3rd & 4th gear, highway 65+mph it's 5th. To me gearing is a state of mind and feel where the bike needs to operate for the speed required.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I tend to be in 5th around 40~45. Under 40 in fifth if I hit a hill I tend to hear that sewing-machine lugging sounds, an indication that I'm in the wrong gear!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I tend to be in 5th around 40~45. Under 40 in fifth if I hit a hill I tend to hear that sewing-machine lugging sounds, an indication that I'm in the wrong gear!
Of course! But you can certainly cruise at 35-40 on level ground in fifth. Getting close to 60 mpg consistently ain't bad, either!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts