Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think about a California (CAF) approved motorcycle, when I bought my new 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom, back in April this year. Looking through the paperwork today, I see that I bought the California approved CAF model. Anything negative for me to be concerned with?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm a big boy, I can take it. How did that get by me? I don't like being special. So, I have something 49 other States don't have :eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
The only thing you may have in count is vn900 CAF is less beautiful than vn900 CAFA 2010 (AKA Custom SE)....This one is the most beautiful vn900 ever ;) hehehehe

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
987 Posts
California Custom

I seem to remember reading something about emissions in the owners manual....but it is at the shop and it is too late for old guys to be running around in the dark. I will look in the morning when I am down there:D

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I believe you have two oxygen sensors and a vapor canister. No negatives that I can see, and the oxygen sensors would seem to be a plus rather than a minus.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I believe you have two oxygen sensors and a vapor canister. No negatives that I can see, and the oxygen sensors would seem to be a plus rather than a minus.
I THINK the 02 sensors are only on the European models. I believe, if I remember the manual right, it's just the emissions canister.

In discussions on this forum in the past it appears that the CAF model gets poorer gas mileage. But, gas mileage on a motorcycle is pretty dicey. Depends on the rider ALOT, their size, their style, etc. As does the type of riding they do and the terrain and atmosphere where they live. Myself and others routinely see 50+ even 60 on our 900's. Others struggle to break 40... on the same bike. So I wouldn't call a recent thread about CAF model fuel economy 'conclusive'

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought mine used, how can I tell if it is a CA model??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the seat and you will see a white sticker. Look under (Model)s after the 900 it will have CA...VN900CA That is if it is a CA Model.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Pull the seat and you will see a white sticker. Look under (Model)s after the 900 it will have CA...VN900CA That is if it is a CA Model.
You guys live in Texas, did you buy your bikes used, or new? Surprising you would find a new bike in Texas with California emissions. But, the canister won't affect performance (that I know of). No O2 sensors either (does have a catalytic converter in the exhaust pipes), not sure other states have them as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys live in Texas, did you buy your bikes used, or new? Surprising you would find a new bike in Texas with California emissions. But, the canister won't affect performance (that I know of). No O2 sensors either (does have a catalytic converter in the exhaust pipes), not sure other states have them as well.

I bought mine from a local dealer 2012. It was a 2010 year Model and new in the crate. I suppose it was one of many left overs and they sold them to various dealers in other States.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought mine used... 'bout 5800 miles in Nov 2012...

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I bought mine from a local dealer 2012. It was a 2010 year Model and new in the crate. I suppose it was one of many left overs and they sold them to various dealers in other States.
I bought mine used... 'bout 5800 miles in Nov 2012...
Thanks guys. Found it interesting Calif emission bikes made their way to Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts