Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, my name is Keith and I’m new around here. I thought I’d show you my bike and some things I am doing to it over the winter.

My bike is a 2012 Voyager with ABS that I bought used this year with 4,680 miles, it still has warranty too.

I will start this thread off by showing you what I had to do to install smoked lenses on my bike.

Like many of you, I have been frustrated with the lack of direct turn signal lens replacement options, so I bit the bullet and bought some nice Vaquero turn signals on eBay. I then found some new smoked turn signal lenses in Germany (on German eBay) and had my friend in Berlin ship them to me.

The company says these lenses don’t fit a Vaquero and technically, they don’t. You have to put the right lens in a left housing and visa-versa, other than that they fit just like they are supposed to and the drains are at the bottom like they should be.

Quality is exactly like the factory lenses. You get a good idea of the size difference from Voyager to Vaquero in my first pic!

Total cost for the Vaquero light assemblies and the lenses is $294 and I actually got an incredible deal
on those Vaquero lights, less than half price and what they usually sell for. I listed my stock light assemblies on eBay and from viewing sold listings, I expect to make my money back.

You can also see that I got rid of that ugly reflector under the license plate light and replaced it with a Kuryakyn Goldwing reflector conversion light. It is a 3 wire light, so you have running and brake light functions. I feel it grounds the center area under the license light housing and gives that area more weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The key isn’t on in the front pic, so the running lights aren’t lit for the signals, but you can see how bright and amber the lens lights when the turn signal is on.

You can also see that Kuryakyn light lit with the running lights. My favorite thing about that light is that it has two rows of LEDs just like the trunk lights and the tail light, so it looks like it came on the bike.

Sorry, my phone is in a waterproof case and often the pictures get flares in them. Also, this forum really destroys the quality of the pictures when they are posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
"Lights4all" in Germany, either from their website or their Ebay store. Still so far the only place where you can get either smoked or clear lenses for Vaq turn signals. I've done similar, but used switchback LED bulbs in the front for a color match with all the other LED lighting I have at that end.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was going to buy them from Lights4all, but ended up buying from Freestyle_Choppers on German eBay, because they were a better price. They are the same exact lenses that Lights4all sells.

The Lights4all website was a pain to navigate and it wouldn’t charge my card so I emailed them and told the the issues I was having and what they were going on and the people at Lights4all kept INSISTING they wouldn’t fit Vaquero housings (and like I mentioned, technically they don’t).

As a sort of Hail Mary, I was also talking to Lights4all on eBay to purchased these because of the issues I had with their website, but because they swore up and down they wouldn’t fit, they refunded me my money. So, I went with the other seller. Super nice and shipped insanely fast to Berlin. My friend was heading here 3 days after receiving them anyway, that’s why I had them shipped to them, that saved me $40 in shipping!

If you look at the Lights4all website, it says specifically that they are for “Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager Custom (VNT70),2011-(do not fit Vaquero)” Still, they are very nice people.

A note; The “Voyager Custom” is the Vaquero overseas, but for some reason the way the lenses clock in the housings on that bike, it is different than the Vaquero. I can’t understand why a company would make a change like that when everything else is exactly the same.

Either way, the only place to get clear or smoked lenses is from Germany and they do NOT make them for a Vaquero, you have to do as I described in my first post here to use them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bought mine from Lights4all a few years ago and they do fit my (donated by a forum member) Vaq turn signal housings without any issue whatsoever... I wouldn't imagine they've changed them at all, and you're right - they warn they won't fit the Vaquero on their website. That looks very much like a mistake on their part though... Their Ebay store listings show:

"Kawasaki VN 1700 Voyager Custom, 2011 - (Nicht passend für VN 1700 Voyager!)"

Which makes me think they meant to say it won't fit what the rest of the world calls a Voyager?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought mine from Lights4all a few years ago and they do fit my (donated by a forum member) Vaq turn signal housings without any issue whatsoever... I wouldn't imagine they've changed them at all, and you're right - they warn they won't fit the Vaquero on their website. That looks very much like a mistake on their part though... Their Ebay store listings show:

"Kawasaki VN 1700 Voyager Custom, 2011 - (Nicht passend für VN 1700 Voyager!)"

Which makes me think they meant to say it won't fit what the rest of the world calls a Voyager?
It’s not that they don’t fit, they fit fine, you just have to put the left one in the right housing and visa-versa like I described. If the cast printing on the face of your lenses are on the inside of the bike closest to the headlight or tail light and not outside of the turn signals, then you already unknowingly put them on the way I described. You will also noticed they have an “R” for Right and an “L” for Left with that writing on the lenses.

Yes, as I mentioned, nobody makes them for a Voyager at all, they call a Vaquero a “Voyager Custom”, and for some reason, the Voyager Custom uses different housings for the turn signals that look identical but clock the lenses differently, that’s why you have to put the after market lenses in the way I described. You will also note that even in your own quote of their eBay ad, they do not mention at all that they fit a Vaquero.

I see you are in New Zealand, do you guys even get a Vaquero there or is it a Voyager Custom? In America, we don’t get the Voyager Custom, we get the Vaquero. Apparently there are small differences between the two, like the turn signals. It’s no mistake on their part at all when they say it won’t “fit” a Vaquero, as mentioned, it’s because of how the left and right lenses clock in the housings. The reason why there are even a left and right lens is because of the drain in them, it has to be at the bottom.

I contacted them to let them know they do work if you swap the lenses side to side, but they can’t exactly sell lenses that are marked Left and Right and tell their customers to just ignore that and install them in the opposite housings, they can however tell people that others have done that if they email them and ask if they will fit a Vaquero like I did instead of just flat out saying “No”.

The main point of me posting was to show people that these lenses do fit, even though the sellers state that they do not fit.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Neither the Vaquero or "Voyager Custom" have ever been imported to NZ, and the Voyager was only ever imported the once - in 2010 with a mixture of 2009 & 2010 models - so there's only a few of them down here... I've only ever seen one other, but I'm sure there's more than just the two of us. The importer, Kawasaki NZ, probably moves less bikes than some of the larger single US dealers, so it's not surprising that the selection is limited. I think there are a few 1700 Nomad's & Classic's around as well, but they're even scarcer.

When I bought my clear turn signal lenses back in 2013 Lights4all warned me that the lenses would not fit a Voyager, for the sole reason that the turn signals are a different size. They had no information then that they would not fit a Vaquero, so I found myself a full set of front & rear turn signals off a Vaq, bought the lenses in the hope they'd fit, and they fit perfectly. I don't recall having any difficulty with L & R, but they're marked as you say.

It's only the Voyager with the larger size turn signals. The clear or smoked lenses from Lights4all will fit any 1700 Vaquero, Nomad, or Classic (all of which share the same lens part number). That's the advice I've given on the forums ever since I got mine, and I've never had any feedback that it's been wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Peg, I’m curious to know, is the writing on your lenses on the inside towards the stalk of the turn signal as depicted in the green area of this picture of my left front turn signal or out in the red area?

Yeah, it doesn’t make much sense that Kawasaki decided to put those giant lollipops on the Voyager only and then used the same Vaquero sized signal on those other bikes, but they also decided that in seemingly the rest of the world, they would call a Vaquero a “Voyager Custom” instead, so who knows what goes through their head when making these decisions.

My front signals actually came from a Nomad and my rears are Vaquero and all the lenses had to be installed in the opposite housing as mentioned to make them work.

I failed to mention that it isn’t just a matter of having the drain at the bottom, it was also so the screw hole would line up with the screw bung that holds the lens inside the housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yep... Mine are marked L on the R side, and R on the L side, both front and back. It's not something I ever noticed until now.

I don't think anyone else will notice either... But it will probably bother me now. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep... Mine are marked L on the R side, and R on the L side, both front and back. It's not something I ever noticed until now.

I don't think anyone else will notice either... But it will probably bother me now.
See? LOL!

Trust me, I’m Pretty damn anal and I stared long and hard at mine and contemplated sanding the writing off of the lenses and then polishing them back up, but I came to my senses and realized NOBODY will notice that they are flipped side to side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I installed some hand guards today.

While the fairing does an excellent job of blocking wind, I found my hands weren’t being guarded as much as I would have liked.

They look great and match the windshield and its trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got a few more small jobs done on the bike. Today I put my Kuryakyn brake light modulator on as well as my trailer wire harness. The modulator is about the size of a postage stamp and about 1/2” thick, it’s incredibly small.

Tip: get the modulator on eBay and search for one for a Goldwing, it is the same as their universal modulator (It just comes with a Goldwing harness that you chuck) and it is $20 less.

I still have to wire the bottom most light to the brake lights, right now it is just wired as a running light.

The only thing that bothers me, is that I hooked it in with my trailer harness and the controller in the trailer harness doesn’t recognize the flashing signal (must be too fast for the control board) so, I just have normal on and off function for the brakes at the trailer harness while the bike is flashing. Oh well, the trailer still has normal functioning brake lights.

I got the plug-n-play trailer harness from a SSWIREPLUS on eBay. It has a controller with a built-in automatic circuit breaker and cost $90 shipped. It’s a 5 wire harness, because my Time Out camper has separate brake and turn signals. He also sells a 4 wire version.

I still have to run the trailer wiring down to the hitch, but the hitch needs to be installed first, so I just tucked the harness aside for now.

Here is a video I made of it in action:

https://youtu.be/GX2GhpzDTO0

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I started installing my Kicker speakers today. They are a direct replacement, with a slight modification. Compared to the factory speakers, the magnets are huge.

(*The speaker comparison pic I borrowed because I forgot to take some myself, I will be replacing those pics with my own when I do the rear speakers)

I got these for $85 a set brand new on eBay and I bought two sets, one pair for the front and one pair for the rear.

The only issue is that the seating area where they slip into the factory speaker pods is slightly too large, so I had to shave about 1/16” of material off to make them slip in which equates to about 1/8” across. Otherwise, they don’t seat correctly as shown in the pic below.

Before sanding away material, no amount of forcing the speakers into the pods to get them to seat would work without damaging anything. I scribed a line and shaved the material down with a dremel and some sandpaper. Now, they slip right in.

I have to do something like this for the rear speaker pods as they won’t seat in those either without removing a little material. Once that is done, the factory front and rear speaker grills will sit right over the speakers just as they did with the factory speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A few more pics of the speakers and the modified front pods. (* The one speaker comparison picture below I borrowed because I forgot to take some myself, I will be replacing those pics with my own when I do the rear speakers)

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are more pics and info on the hand guards I posted. I got them from this person on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253074624892

They are nice and thick, very rigid and the quality is great, they really look like they belong on the bike. They also cover a considerable area above and below the levers and go the full length of the levers. When the bars are turn full chock, they are about 1/4” away from the edge the of the windshield.

If you type in “Motorcycle Hand Guards” you will see that you can get them in different sizes, with the brackets in chrome or black and the shield tinted or different colors. They all run about the same length, it’s mainly the height that’s different. The ones you see here are the tallest I could find.

I took off the nuts that go to the bolts that the levers pivot on and I mounted the guards using that stud. I also used a pair of aluminum shank nuts that I had from the vintage Volkswagen wiper arms that I had laying around (another hobby of mine). They just happen to be the correct thread and length. I still have to polish those nuts.

You can buy the nuts here though if you don’t have them lying around like me, LOL!:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211-418.html

That shank nut slips through the mounting bracket of these hand guards and threads to the bolts holding the levers on which holds these onto the bike while keeping them locked in place.

I put a plastic washer in between the mounting bracket and the hand controls just to keep them from getting scratched. I also have to open the hole up to the next size on the mounting brackets using a uni-bit to allow the shank nuts to slip through.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my plate frame in the mail today. This is one that lights up without actual brake input like regular brake lights.

These were $170 when they first came out, they are now usually around $100 on eBay, but I scored this one brand new on eBay for $50 with free shipping!

The entire rear end of this bike is going to light up when braking, and I will also have the added safety of this plate frame indicating that I am downshifting or off the throttle and slowing down when I don’t touch the brakes.

I like that the lights on it are along the same lines as the stock fender brake light and the Kuryakyn light I put on that replaced the rear reflector making everything look like it was already there from start.

This video explains how this plate frame works. They also make a modulator version of this that you can wire into your regular brake lights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0Q_ojY3Ec

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I’m back at the bike again, I was down in Florida for a little bit. I’m working on a few things with the tail light bracket.

First, if you are pulling the turn signal/license plate bracket off the bike, you need to lift the bike off the ground. Don’t even bother wasting your time trying to do it on the ground, the rear wheel needs to hang down to allow enough room to fit your hand and ratchet behind the fender.

The green arrow points to an already existing hole that I enlarged for the wiring to pass through of the Kuryakyn Goldwing reflector conversion light.

The yellow arrow is a new hole I drilled for the wiring of the Vololights license plate frame to pass through.

The red arrows point to two new holes I had to drill. These are so the license plate bracket can be moved down so the plate frame doesn’t cover the Kuryakyn light, the old holes get covered by the bracket.

I don’t care for the fact that the paint from the factory seems to be very thin and the bracket is covered in bare metal spots and white specs. I am going to repaint this before I put everything back on it.

A little tip for you people trying to pull the lights off the bracket, run the area of the turn signal housing where the metal slips into the turn signal under hot water, the light will slip right off. Otherwise, you are screaming and yelling at the damn thing to come off and risking breaking the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright, I got my connectors in the mail today from Cycleterminal.com! Joe is super nice and very helpful, he is highly recommended!

I don’t like to cut into harnesses unless absolutely necessary, so if I can find connectors to make a short harness to allow anything I need to power plug and play, I will.

So, with that said, I ordered these connectors to allow me to do a few things.

•The connectors for the main tail light harness I got to have on hand, I’ve been back and forth on using those in the future, still not sure. If you are installing a trailer harness and are using a harness that doesn’t already come with these connectors on it to allow it to plug and play, order this connector so you don’t have to tap into your harness. My trailer harness already came with these connectors on it. This connection is under the seat and attaches to the battery cover on the right side.

•The connectors for the license plate light harness are so I can connect my Vololights plate frame to power using the power and ground to the license plate light. There are two sets of connectors in the pic, one is extra to have on hand, it’s a pretty common connector that I have used in the past. This connector is located behind the fender.

•The connectors for the secondary brake light harness are for the Kuryakyn light under the license plate light that I installed. This will give it power and ground for both the running light and the brake light features that it has. There is also an identical connector under the seat on the left side, this connector powers the lights on the trunk only and pigtails off the main brake light harness. I ordered another as a spare to have on hand, it’s actually the same as a 3 wire oxygen sensor connector. I only had this light hooked up temporarily as a running light to the license plate light harness with a connector I had until the proper connector got here. The connector is located behind the fender and powers the brake light on the fender.

•The connectors for the turn signal harnesses are for a project I am gathering parts for to begin working on. These connectors are behind the headlight.

Now, let me explain what that project is that I am gathering parts for:

Because the turn signals are directly under the fog/driving lights, I don’t want the turn signal being washed out by that light and making it difficult for other drivers to see. So, what I plan on doing is making a circuit that allows the driving light to turn off on the side that the turn signal is on.

For example, if my right side turn signal is on, the right side driving light will turn off and when the turn signal is turned off, the driving light will turn back on. The other side stays lit the entire time, just like what you are now seeing on modern cars like Jeeps, Audi, etc.

I’m still waiting for my short harnesses I ordered on eBay for the H11 bulbs that the driving lights use, Joe didn’t have those connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Back at it today.

I finally got to yank the rear speaker pods I installed when I got the bike so I could modify them for the Kicker speakers. As mentioned in my front speaker write up, the kicker speakers are a little too wide where they seat into the hole so, much like the front pods, I had to remove some plastic to open up the diameter of the hole.

Unlike the front pods where I removed about 1/16” of an inch of material making the diameter of the hole 1/8” wider, I had to remove about 1/8” of material making the diameter of the hole about a 1/4” wider. This is because the vinyl lays inside the opening of the hole, making the diameter of the hole smaller in the end.

I thought I took a picture after I removed the plastic material, but I guess I didn’t, so I made a red line on one of my pics to indicate how much material I had to remove.

One other thing I had to do was remove some material around the holes on the actual speaker itself where the plastic frame of the speaker sits around the metal mounting hole. If you don’t do this, the chrome trim ring won’t seat down like it did on the factory speaker and you will have a gap all the way around the ring where it is supposed to sit flush with the vinyl on the speaker pod.

I’m still trying to decide on an amp to finish this install.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts