Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is simply a thread about the mods I will be doing to my 2006 Vulcan 900. I bought the bike brand new from the dealer bone stock. I'm mainly looking to make this bike into a touring/comfort bike. So, mods like windshield/batwing, engine bars and luggage bags are going to be a must. Keep tuned.

• Mustang Wide Touring Seat with Riders Backrest
  • Mutazu Sissy Bar Back Rest with Luggage Rack
  • PHCustoms Tank Bib with pocket
  • Ricks Motorsport Regulator/Rectifier
  • Shorai LFX18 Battery
  • Battery Tender Pig Tails
  • Kuryakyn Scoop Air Box Cover (Chrome)
  • K&N Air Filter
  • 2" bar risers
  • Phillips 1157 Brake Light bulb
Of course there are more mods to come. I'll update when I get more mods.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Welcome!

I've got both of those things you've mentioned, and a few more!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You going to do a paint job also ?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I bought my bike at a Yamaha dealer it was a trade in. The owner of the Yamaha dealership rides a R1 to work everyday, even in the rain. Last time I talked to him he has only missed like 2 days this year of riding the bike in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
take a look at my bike for comfort ideas. i also have a street-glide fairing that i use sometimes, and its great. and you already know that a mustang seat is a must.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the brake light on my 06 VN900.
I used the Phillips 1157 bulb.

Stock bulb running mode

Stock bulb brake mode

Phillips bulb running mode

Phillips bulb brake mode

Here is the bulb in the tail light housing.

The color is much more red compared to the stock bulb. The brightness, intensity and spread of the light is also improved with the Phillips bulb.

I also replaced the License plate light bulb with an LED. Will add pictures later. The plate light takes a 1156 bulb.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While mine was down for the winter I had to replace a rear tire and valve adjust. So I used the opportunity to install led driving lights, an auxiliary power box for my phone and gps, and my tank bag. When installing led lights I cracked my Memphis fats 21 (which was huge and worked well for touring

I wanted to try something a little smaller and cheaper though so I went with a Memphis Big Shot with the newer quick release mounts. My next purchase will have to be a Mustang seat with driver back rest but I'm certainly not looking forward to the price they want for it. I'm also thinking of a saddlemen 2200 rear bag to replace the cheap one I have now and larger saddle bags. My overall goal is the same as yours though.... More touring oriented.
P. S. I replaced the rear tire with the 170/80 in the perilli night dragon. I am now in complete agreement with others that size is the tire this bike should have come with. Combined with the profile of the night dragon it has gone from feeling like a 600 plus pound cruiser to feeling like it lost a hundred pounds. It now flicks into corners instead of having to push the bars so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
While mine was down for the winter I had to replace a rear tire and valve adjust. So I used the opportunity to install led driving lights, an auxiliary power box for my phone and gps, and my tank bag. When installing led lights I cracked my Memphis fats 21 (which was huge and worked well for touring :(
I wanted to try something a little smaller and cheaper though so I went with a Memphis Big Shot with the newer quick release mounts. My next purchase will have to be a Mustang seat with driver back rest but I'm certainly not looking forward to the price they want for it. I'm also thinking of a saddlemen 2200 rear bag to replace the cheap one I have now and larger saddle bags. My overall goal is the same as yours though.... More touring oriented.
P. S. I replaced the rear tire with the 180/70 in the perilli night dragon. I am now in complete agreement with others that the 180/70 is the tire this bike should have come with. Combined with the profile of the night dragon it has gone from feeling like a 600 plus pound cruiser to feeling like it lost a hundred pounds. It now flicks into corners instead of having to push the bars so much.
If you look hard enough and long enough for a Mustang you will find a used one. I searched for over a month to find one with the backrest. I looked on Craigslist, Ebay, two different forums, plus a few other sites. Ended up seeing a post on Facebook for $350 and jumped on it. Cost $400 with shipping, but still a good deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts