Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks -

I have 44K miles with 99% reliable riding time on my 06 Vulcan 900 until Friday.

Went to start in morning and all the warning lights flickered very briefly and wouldn't start. I turned off key then it fired right up again as normal. After a 3 mile ride - I go to restart and NOTHING, no lights, warning or otherwise - elec system completely down.

I've checked the basics battery, fuses, tried it with kickstand up, down. Nothing when I turn the key!

I have a Kaw Service manual and it gives me schematics and shows me how to take things apart - but nothing really on troubleshooting my problem!

Are the Clymer or Haynes manuals any better?

Can someone cut and paste the trouble shooting steps I should take to get on the road again??!

I'm miles from a Kaw Dealer and my budget is lean - but if this all beyond my paygrade, I'll suck it up and tow it to a dealer (who hopefully tells me it's a $20 part!)

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sfair should be along soon.

Until then from the "book"

Starter motor
Battery Voltage
Starter Relay
Starter button
Open Wiring
Ignition Switch
Engine Kill switch
blown fuse

If Battery,cables(elec) and fuses are good, The Ignition switch would be suspect, then the DFI/ECU

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Three things;

1) If a guy named Sfair comes a long, do everything he says; exactly as he says it!

2) Have you attempted to recharge the battery? Charging system problems are not uncommon with that year; if you've attempted to recharge the battery and it will not turn on (I'm understanding that when you turn the key on, absolutely nothing happens?) then;

3) Check the 'main fuse' on the right hand side. I don't own my 900 anymore but recall that being not super obvious in the manual, but finding it on my own and on one occasion finding it blown. Absolutely nothing, no lights, no nothing. Replaced fuse and the problem did not repeat. If this fuse is replaced, make sure to do a thorough check for frayed wires, dirty connectors, etc. Fuses don't usually blow just to make your life miserable; often there's a reason. (SOMETIMES that reason is just the fuse is a dud, though)

If you've got a meter handy; post back with the voltage at the battery. If things do come on when the key comes on (i.e., doesn't start, but warning lights come on or the odometer comes alive), then also give us the voltage at the battery with the key on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check the Clutch Switch

I had a similar problem. All of the sudden I would go to start the bike and nothing. Then after a frustrating number of attempts it would roar to life. I never knew if I shut it off if it would start again. Check all kinds of things and finally checked the switch under the clutch handle. Comes of with a screw or two, even comes apart pretty easy. It was corroded inside, cleaned up easy with a small wire bush an some steel wool. Went back together easy as pie and she roared to life.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Clutch switch will not kill electrics dead.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

No meter....we can help there too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Post back with make and model number of your meter for my reference.
2. Bike, as it sits, is dead?
My bike is an unmodified 2006 Vulcan VN900 (B6)
Engine family code (whatever that is) 6kAXC.903AAA

And it sits quite dead. :-(

Appreciate your help - I'm told you are the best!

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts