Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the fence between these two bags. I think I prefer the look of the HLs, but the RS is 11" wide which looks like it might hold a full face - but it's wider in the middle and it might not. Can RS and HL Owens verify if either of these will fit a full face? Otherwise they look to be roughly the same volume. Sometimes I ride with the full, and would like to not have to carry around when I park. Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
On the fence between these two bags. I think I prefer the look of the HLs, but the RS is 11" wide which looks like it might hold a full face - but it's wider in the middle and it might not. Can RS and HL Owens verify if either of these will fit a full face? Otherwise they look to be roughly the same volume. Sometimes I ride with the full, and would like to not have to carry around when I park. Thx.
The HLs will not hold a full face or 3/4 helmet. I will hold some 1/2 helmets.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another +1, the HL will not fit a full face. They look nice, but aren't THAT big.

The RS has the best chance of fitting one but, even that might not. Generally, if you want to lock up and enclose a FF helmet, you need a topcase big enough!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've scraped together some cash and will be buying my hard bags soon. I'm on the fence. I can't decide between HL or RS, and now MU has entered the debate. I like the looks of the HL in the sense that they give the bike that 'bagger' look, but on the other hand the RS seems to have nice lines with the rear fender. The RS has bigger dimensions, but they measure, but they taper quite a bit at the bottom, so are they really much bigger? I also like the MUs because of the lean look on the top (side lid) - but is the side lid practical? It seems to me all my stuff will fall out every time I open it! Also the MU and HL bags have the option of adding the chrome racks on top - I think they would look better on the HLs, but are they any good? Then I hear about some having better locks. My only real requirement is that I am able to at least lock up my half lid and jacket...

Help me decide!!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I've scraped together some cash and will be buying my hard bags soon. I'm on the fence. I can't decide between HL or RS, and now MU has entered the debate. I like the looks of the HL in the sense that they give the bike that 'bagger' look, but on the other hand the RS seems to have nice lines with the rear fender. The RS has bigger dimensions, but they measure, but they taper quite a bit at the bottom, so are they really much bigger? I also like the MUs because of the lean look on the top (side lid) - but is the side lid practical? It seems to me all my stuff will fall out every time I open it! Also the MU and HL bags have the option of adding the chrome racks on top - I think they would look better on the HLs, but are they any good? Then I hear about some having better locks. My only real requirement is that I am able to at least lock up my half lid and jacket...

Help me decide!!
I too looked at all your options. I finally decided on the HL for the old school look. It holds more than I thought so I have been very pleased with them. I have seen pics of the HL storing a half helmet. Just my 2 cents... :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have a nice big trunk so I have storage, but I, too, went for the HL. It just looks so much better on the 900. I know other bags follow the lines better, but they don't follow it perfectly. To me, if it mates up 'almost', that looks worse than a bag that isn't even TRYING to mate up, like the HL. LOTS of touring bikes have the stocky/squared off bag look. I think it looks great!

I think the HL are the best looking. Plenty of room too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm leaning towards the HLs. Every time I look at pics of them on the Vulcan I am impressed. When I look at the others I find myself over analyzing the look. Go with what 'feels' right! Does anyone have the optional chrome rails? I'm thinking of buying them at the same time to save on shipping. I think they will add a nice touch, would like to see how the look..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm leaning towards the HLs. Every time I look at pics of them on the Vulcan I am impressed. When I look at the others I find myself over analyzing the look. Go with what 'feels' right! Does anyone have the optional chrome rails? I'm thinking of buying them at the same time to save on shipping. I think they will add a nice touch, would like to see how the look..
I don't but I'd like to, so if you buy them take pictures and let us know what you think! I HAVE strapped luggage onto my saddlebags in the past though, with a towel to protect the bags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HL's will hold a half helmet fine. I was on the fence betweel the HL and a smaller bag and finally decide to do a card board mock up. That realy showed the difference in capacity. I pack em full and still manage to get the half helmet in. Just need to get that batwing now...maybe the trunk too!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
HL's will hold a half helmet fine. I was on the fence betweel the HL and a smaller bag and finally decide to do a card board mock up. That realy showed the difference in capacity. I pack em full and still manage to get the half helmet in. Just need to get that batwing now...maybe the trunk too!
The batwing is next for me... maybe? I dunno. I keep thinking about it :D

But I never can decide if I like them or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts