Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after a lot of pondering I finally pulled the trigger on hard bags, I got Mutazu, because of both looks and price point. After a week they arrived to canada today :)

for canadians wondering, it's 460 canadian for the backs, 69 canadian for shipping, and 26 bucks on delivery for customs tax and handling (ugh handling? really?)

Anyhow, the bags are amazing, beautiful gloss black, yes they are thinner plastic but I plan to carpet line them which will give a little more density.

I will be figuring out mounting over the next week or so, I have a basic plan for a fairly flush mount, taking the stock mounts and reversing them so the angled ens point inward, the bonus there is the front mount lays perfectly against the brake/frame for extra support.

I will be trying to document my install in this thread for these for others who want to attach this style.

I didn't expect LED tail lights in the bags ( I assumed it would be bulbs) and they are 3 wire leads I assume for running/brake.

Anyone out there mounted RS bags? I know the basics and some tips for these, got some huge washers to stop any cracking and with the mounts provided I should be able to throw an extra bar across the mounting bars to be able to provide extra anchors to the bags. all other ideas welcome.

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
I have the mutazu bags as well and we had to put a metal plate on inside and outside to stabilize the bags because on my first trip at the 400km mark they started to crack where they were bleed on, but now with the reinforcement they handle great, just did over 30 hours on the bike last week for honeymoon and they were loaded and worked awesome.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I had planned to use both inner and outer supports, I am going to cut off that end angle thing on them tho esp on the inside.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I have the bags installed, if you have a sissy bar mounted you WILL need longer front bolts, and quite likely longer back bolts, and you will want about 2 dollars worth of 5/16 large thin washers, I used the mounts upside down and backwards on the left side. the triangles on the brackets are therefore down and facing inward, on the left front side it is mounted down and facing out (luckily the indent of the case allows for this) drilling the holes on the first case sucked and the whole process for that bag was a good couple of hours. On the top back bolts I had to ass 2 washes to space it out as the lid was hitting the sissy bar mounts. I also drilled out the threads on the top holes of all 4 bar mounts, this stops binding and allows you to mount the bags as flush as possible to the sides. The tops of the cases make a lot of noise over large bumps, so I will definitely be getting some insulation strips to stop that. I did not hook up the lights for them, I am not looking forward to removing the fender to get at the brake light wiring :( :( :(

They look great, set properly the lines blend perfectly with the 900. Now I get to see how well they work :)

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the fender to access the brake/running light wiring. Remove the seat. I made two separate slices (left/right) without cutting the existing wiring. Once the appropriate wires are located - skin the insulation off and solder wire with coupler for future disconnect. There will be times you might need to remove the bags without cutting and re- soldering the wires. The left run was short and easy. The right side run was a bit longer and basically ran along the existing brake wires.

When you do your interior lining post how you did it. I'd like to do that to my RS bags too. ImageUploadedByMO Free1437939570.817840.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1437939586.720391.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1437939598.722601.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1437939609.940144.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You shouldn't have to remove the fender to access the brake/running light wiring. Remove the seat. I made two separate slices (left/right) without cutting the existing wiring. Once the appropriate wires are located - skin the insulation off and solder wire with coupler for future disconnect. There will be times you might need to remove the bags without cutting and re- soldering the wires. The left run was short and easy. The right side run was a bit longer and basically ran along the existing brake wires.

When you do your interior lining post how you did it. I'd like to do that to my RS bags too. View attachment 127089 View attachment 127097 View attachment 127105 View attachment 127113

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

that would def be easier thank you :) there are 2 thoughts on lining the cases, one would be using the carpet material car audio stores use to cover their sub boxes, the other would be simple felt, contact adhesive on the inner cases or the felt then stick. there is very little room for error doing that.

Dynomat would also work, but I think it might add too much weight, and dynomat is way expensive last time I looked

I am leaning towards some type of glue and felt (cheap yet effective)

I have already made a simple strap that attached to the bottom left side bolt and has a loop at the end that keeps that left bag lid from folding over further than I like, the loop hooks around the lock handle. simple, yet effective

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, after applying all my fuzzy velcro strip along the rim I took it out to test, was getting a loud knock on medium bumps, I thought wtf that wasnt there before (I was 2 upping my first test) turns out the mounting bracket was hitting and rubbing the frame, as it took come of the coating off, so I removed that right left bracket (over the exhaust) and I took the grinder to it and cut off the right-L piece. put it back on and reversed it so the triangle of the bracket is under the bag now. took it out for a test and no rubbing or knock, I debated removing the L section of these brackets as since I mounted them upside down for a flush fit to the bike those sections were no longer required.

The stock pic shows the mounting hardware, I did not use the rubber grommets (as a few threads said not to), I did not use the inset collars (since I did not use the grommets), I used 4 of the supplied washers as spacers on the bottom used bolts (of which I used 2)

All 4 brackets are the same, and you can see the triangle and bend in them, basically I lopped off the top (and left just the triangle) on the exhaust side front bracket. I could do this for the rest (although none of those hit anything) I'm just lazy :O

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those look awesome, I may have to order a set.....quick question,
What back rest pad is on you bike and does it mount to the factory sissy bar?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those look awesome, I may have to order a set.....quick question,
What back rest pad is on you bike and does it mount to the factory sissy bar?
I have the cobra round sissy bar kit (which came with the mounting brackets specifically for the 900, the sissy bar (which is round tubing not square), the back chrome plate, and the back rest pad. I don't know if the pad itself would mount to the factory kawi sissy bar sorry.

I believe cobra does sell this back rest pad separately and you can take the pad apart (the leather unzips and opens it up) so I imagine it can be adapted to fit the factory sissy bar.

Mustang makes a very similar rest pad that might have a specific oem application.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=mustang%20pad&=%257B%2522dict%2522%253A%2522canadasmotorcycle%2522%252C%2522server%2522%253A%2522%255C%252F%255C%252Fcanadasmotorcycle.prod.easyaskondemand.com%2522%252C%2522resultUrl%2522%253A%2522https%253A%255C%252F%255C%252Fwww.canadasmotorcycle.ca%255C%252Fcatalogsearch%255C%252Fresult%255C%252F%2522%257D

Sorry its from the canadian site I use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good, I've been trying to decide between the RS Bags and the Tsukayu Strongs. You may have helped me make up my mind.
I also liked the look of the strongs, I didn't like the back latch on them tho or the hinge, and the actual fiberglass versions were about 150 bucks more, even their abs version of the strongs are 50 more

The fiberglass version is nicely carpeted inside and their design is nice and smooth in and out, I liked the chrome trim and the optional lighting on the Mutazu's I also liked how well they flowed with the lines of my 900 better than the Tsukayu's. Z

Originally I wanted to go with the MU bags from Mutazu, however, there are numerous conversations that state that the side opening doors are not waterproof and harder to manage vibration noise, I felt that the top opening lids would be more waterproof, but I do love the MU's look and you can paint them up nice.

I plan to stripe my RS bags to match my bike striping. but it's almost 40 degrees here now, and any work produces aggravation and buckets of sweat!

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I bought my MUs I ordered the specific mounting brackets for the 900. It pushes them out a little further but holds them pretty secure. The left mount is angled a little too far inward (manufacturing defect?) so after months of riding the bag has been hitting the axle bolt and it chewed away some of the ABS. I got them flat black to match the Custom and put LED lights to match my rear and make me more noticeable. I like how the chrome pieces are removable so I can put some black over them :)

It is true that the MUs are not waterproof, then again for their cheaper price I wasn't expecting factory quality fit/finish either. The doors seemed to have warped a slight bit to prevent an even seal but I wanted something to haul lunch/gym clothes/random junk in to avoid a backpack. I try to stay out of the rain when I can and haven't had many issues with water.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
that would def be easier thank you :) there are 2 thoughts on lining the cases, one would be using the carpet material car audio stores use to cover their sub boxes, the other would be simple felt, contact adhesive on the inner cases or the felt then stick. there is very little room for error doing that.

Dynomat would also work, but I think it might add too much weight, and dynomat is way expensive last time I looked

I am leaning towards some type of glue and felt (cheap yet effective)

I have already made a simple strap that attached to the bottom left side bolt and has a loop at the end that keeps that left bag lid from folding over further than I like, the loop hooks around the lock handle. simple, yet effective
I ordered and used this adhesive back felt on the back of the leather tank bra In installed. Fairly cheap and worked great. Thinking I am going to also use it on the inside of the new tourpak I just purchased. If I cannot find anything else just laying around that is.

Black Pressure Sensitive Felt Sheet Hardware Project Hardware Box Hardware | eBay

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered and used this adhesive back felt on the back of the leather tank bra In installed. Fairly cheap and worked great. Thinking I am going to also use it on the inside of the new tourpak I just purchased. If I cannot find anything else just laying around that is.

Black Pressure Sensitive Felt Sheet Hardware Project Hardware Box Hardware | eBay
hmmm, i'm thinking thats about 8 sheets for both bags (we're talking entire interior not just the bottom, so like 90 bucks. Nice stuff though. That bottom mat that was included was a bit of a joke :p this stuff would be great for just the bottoms for sure. although I am thinking I would rather adhesive rubber matting might be better, no sliding :)

come to think of it, even a by the foot roll of that rubber backed carpet at home depots would work better than the stock stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update on how the bags are doing with my install method.

They are doing great! with the fuzzy velcro strip all along the lid rim and the bag rim there isnt a single vibration noise (and I've got a rougher street), there is lots of room for my half helmet and other items just in one bag. The finish is excellent and blends extremely well with my bike (stock black metallic finish).

I hope to hook up the lights this weekend, (I need to get some connectors first) and I am thinking of going brake/turn signal combo. off the main harness under the seat as was recommended by Hatchcover

So far it's all thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
here is a link to my bag install ... the secret is in the brackets, I used Kawasaki OEM's, the Mutazu brackets I found where not up to snuff. ... use oversized washers on the inside and outside of the bags to stop any pressure cracks etc.

do not over load / over stuff them ... this puts pressure on the hinges and locks, get some black electrical tape and put it around the bag lip ... it can be done easily and stops the plastic on plastic rubbing and powder on the lid..

Matazu Bag And Batwing Installation by Maurice Whiting | Photobucket

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, wired up my cases today, what a headache, for some reason I cannot get it to run with running/brake setup. I hook up under the seat to the blue/red-red-black combination. I hook up the black to the black/yellow (ground) fine... and if I hook up the blue to the blue/red I get brake lights at full intensity, but when I hook up the yellow to the red (running lights) it all turns off until I hit the brakes. if I unhook the blue wire then the running lights work properly. I know the gray and green lines in that harness are for the turn signals. I ended up just running them as straight brake lights, (note: I tested the bags lights on a regular battery and can indeed make it pulse dim on and full on... very weird.

I drilled one new hole in each bag lower middle to run the wiring into the bags, I did not want to use what I think is the drain whole on the back as the wiring becomes too visible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday I completed a lengthy 12 hour ride (about 9 on the road) I rode up to niagara falls and followed the parkway from niagara on the lake all the way to port dover making multiple stops. The weather was a fair mix, cool, some rain, and wind so I had a lot loaded up in the bags. rain jacket, sweater, food, water, different gloves etc. at stops I stored my half helmet and gps is the cases. I had no issues at all, everything stayed secure, it was great having lockable cases.

The close mount setup I used also had no issues, no vibrations, there was a lot of hiway riding and back roads that were pretty beat up and there are no issues with the cases. I'm very happy with them and would recommend them. They look slick and do a great job.

I am thinking about adding some type of organizer for when I have smaller items that might roll around, but thats an issue with most cases I imagine.

I did find some nice thick felt at lens mills for 5 dollars a yard, I figure 3 yards would easily cover the interiors, I just haven't gotten around to it (mostly because I'm lazy and would rather be riding... maybe a winter project...) I think a nice medium grey colour would give a great contrast :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
rkx I love the blue lights on you 900. What kit did you use?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts