Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Mutazu hard bags on my Vulcan 900 in November 2013. They have cracked badly and I do not load them down. When I purchased them, I got the heavy duty mounting bracket. I don't ride on rough roads, mainly decent city roads and highway. So I am not going over potholes or brick roads.

These are junk! About 3 months ago when the cracks became really bad I contacted Mutazu and they said that there is no warranty!! I bought them because they were stylish, matched my black bike, and had lights that I could wire for two functions (I did running and brakes).

I would not waste my money on these bags at all. I took them off of my bike and will look for something else.

Any suggestions on durable bags? Lights are not necessary.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Those bags are awful . . . I've seen them, and they're bad. The only reason anybody gets them is because they're dirt-cheap, and that's usually a pretty good indicator of bad quality.

Yet, people will still buy them . . .

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I had the LN bags on my 800b for about 2 years. For the price, I have no complaints other than the lights are pretty useless. They survived being loaded to the max twice during 2000 mile trips. They survived a low side slide of about 30' with only scratches. They survived a second low side by a friend where the bike slid about 40-50'. About 4 months after this one, I got to work one night to find the hinge on the bag that bike laid on twice broke, and then only one of the 2 broke, letting the door shift enough to come open. I think the way its mounted makes a big difference. I used .098 lexan cut just smaller than the bags and mounted them to this at 4 points, 2 for the bags-lexan only, and the other 2 to the fender mounts. These were the $108 bags also.

·
Registered
357 Posts
depends on how "you"/they are mounted. plenty of stories of years with no problems using Mutazu. no they are not $2k harley bags and will not be fiberglass. they are the low end of the hard bag category and should be treated as such. If you're looking for plug-and-play bags then spend the 800 for Kaw leather ones and be done with it :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have no idea what people do to their stuff ... I have has mine on for 3 to 4 years now, I use em all the time ... with no issues. I also believe the secret is in the brackets ... and I am not talking mutazu brackets. I guess they are not for everybody.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have no idea what people do to their stuff ... I have has mine on for 3 to 4 years now, I use em all the time ... with no issues. I also believe the secret is in the brackets ... and I am not talking mutazu brackets. I guess they are not for everybody.
Same here... By themselves, the Mutazu brackets are terrible. No surprise to me, as I've spent the $$$$ on Givi mounts and top case for a previous bike. whiting used the OEM LT brackets, and I added a homemade crossbrace (bag to bag) to go with the "upgraded" chrome Mutazu brackets and we've both had no issues, similar to other folks here on the forums...

Now, the quality of the Mutazu locks is another story... :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wonder how these bags would be with easy off brackets. They have a large plate that will support the case. The other thing I was thinkg about was the Blue colour. whiting did you have your's custom painted to match your Custom?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Mine are going on 2 years. Maybe 6 to 7 thousand miles. No issues used the heavy duty brackets from Mutazu with the grommets supplied. The grommets take the vibration out to help prevent cracking. I have loaded mine down with gear and are holding up nicely. For the price I couldn't beat them.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I've had Mutazu bags for 4 years. I've made my own brackets and followed Whiting's advice on the big washers. Been on week long riding/camping trips with the bags LOADED. Been on roads that shouldn't have been called roads. Mine still look great.
I think what happens to all of us is every once in a while, we come across a deal where we get something for a fair price and it exceeds our expectations. Then we expect everything to exceed our expectations like the "deal" we got on the first item. When it doesn't, we're disappointed.
Let's keep in mind these are on the low end of price for motorcycle hard bags. If our expectations aren't too high to begin with, these can exceed them. If you're expecting high end bags for less than a couple hundred bucks, your expectations may be set too high because of that super good deal you got before.
I mainly just wanted something I could lock. I've been pleased.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a set of LeatherLyke bags on my 900 and had a set on my 750 before I stopped riding it. The set on the 750 survived a nice 50 foot slide down the assault with minimal scratching and no other damage.

The only thing I DON'T like about the leatherlyke bags is that in order to open or close them, you need the key.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
whiting did you have your's custom painted to match your Custom?
Yes .... at a auto body shop ... he has a scanner and his computer gives him the paint mix .... I also give them a front fender to compare with. I don't know which brackets you are going to use ... some have had issues with quick release / ghost brackets and these bags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts