Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All...I need some input from you guys out there that have a Mustang Seat on your "900LT" If you could tell me about the change you made, what size person you are, cause that does make a difference, and anything else I would be greatful, and the price you paid and where you got it. Its going to be winter here soon, so I want to do something then. Thanks all:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got the Mustang about three weeks ago and love it. My wife rides passenger and says its great. It is not a "perfect" fit for me, Im 6-6 and about 240* so Im a big guy buuuttt it is a huge difference for the better. I recommend it. Install took about fifteen minutes...10 of it I wasted saying "it cant this easy" lol it was, pop the seat off, change lock from seat to seat, done! I'll get the price/place info later when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got mine in the mail this past weekend. I'm 5' 10" 190lbs. easy install.. Seems to raise me up some, so will need to move the wind shield up some..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Pasnbyu, I've had the mustang w/ driver backrest for about 11 months now. I'm 5'11" and 200lbs. It brought me forward maybe an inch and raised the seat a bit. Took about a week or so to decide whether I liked it or not. Now I wonder how I did without it. I bought it from a forum member on here and paid $425 or $450 (can't remember exactly) which included shipping.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 900 is still new to me, just three days old now. But I also had the Mustang Wide Regal on my previous 750 and, once broken-in, found it very comfortable. Rode it for years that way... then when it came time to trade it in I managed to sell the seat and put the stock back on. Wow what a difference! Going back to the stock seat (on the 750) was night and day with the Mustang. I'm definitely going to have to get another one for the 900 as one of my very first upgrades too. I've already been shopping around! Good luck finding yours... I believe it will be well worth the investment in a happy riding experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had mine for a little over a month and absolutely LOVE it !!! It does sit you up a little taller in the saddle but it feels marvelous on a trip longer than an hour. My g/f loves it too; she can tell the difference because her butt doesn't get numb and her back isn't nearly as tired at the end of the day.

The only other thing I've noticed is that my shoulders feel a little tired after riding all day, which may be related to the difference in seat height, taking away the bend in my elbows. I've heard that some riders will adjust their handlebars, or raise them somehow but I haven't gotten to the point where I feel I need to do that yet. So, in my humble opinion, it's worth every penny you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am 5ft 10in tall and weigh 215lbs. My inseam is about 29 inches. Hope this helps you size me up.

I got the Mustange One Piece Wide Vintage Seat and didn't really like it. The butt pad was good and rode well. It does sit you up about 1.5" and forward about 1". I kind of liked this because it let me see clearly over my windshield. My main problem was the backrest. Mustang talks a lot about the way the pillion pad extends forward to give you a full 9" tall back rest. Well for me, the pillion pad actually stuck forward a little to far and sort of cut into my back. It sat farther forward than the rear pad that is part of the main seat. After about 15 minutes, this became really uncomfortable. I also had a little trouble with the angle the seat made you sit at causing back pain.

I swapped this seat out for a Saddlemen King Seat. I bought them both through www.denniskirk.com . They had the best pricing and a really easy return policy. Also, the Saddlemen King Seat was on special for about $270 compared to the Mustang Seat at $360.

The Saddlemen seat is actually sort of opposite to the Mustang. It sits you a little lower on the bike. Their theory of separating the butt pad from the back pad is a good idea and it works. Also, the way their back pad is made, it sort of feels like a bowl for your back & upper butt. When you push back into it, it sort of wraps around you. Anyway, I really like it and have been able to take serveral long rides on it in comfort. Not 4-5 hours without stopping, but 1.5 hours before stopping to take a break and then back on for another hour or so. I get tired of the wind and noise after an hour anyway.

No matter what you decide, I recommend buying from Dennis Kirk or one of the other reputable online sites because they will let you return the seat if you don't like it. The local shops can't deal with that kind of inventory so they usually have to say no returns.

PS- I actually spoke to someone at Saddlemen. The King Seat is great for 1-up riding. The pillion is rather small and really compliment the lines on the Vulcan 900. If you ride 2-up though, go with the Explorer version. It has a wide passenger pillion like the Mustang seat. The driver part of the seat is basically the same on both.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the Mustang on my Custom. I will say that I sit a little higher, but the extra seat in back makes all of the difference when 2 up. I did look at the Saddleman, and would really like to try out the Explorer seat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, here's my latest story around Mustangs. I'm a brand new 900 owner, just six days now. The stock seat lasted for five. Here's why:

FRIDAY - took the 900 (with stock seat) on an after-work informal group ride with others from my wife's workplace. Needless to say, we were excited to go and "show-off" the new 900 a bit. Ride was only about 25 miles going out, and (for us anyway) about 50 miles coming back. By midway home on the return trip, my wife - who has some back issues anyway - was in some pain, and the pillion seat was not kind to that The decorative studs kind of point upwards making them somewhat uncomfortable. So eventually we had to stop, first at a parking lot about 25 miles in, just to walk and stretch; then later we had to again stop and actually dropped her off at a Target store to hang out and wait for me to finish the ride home, take the car and come back the last 15 miles for her. She could not finish the trip home.:(

SATURDAY - There was a big group ride today that we wanted to do, expecting bout twice the distance. We could not see how she was going to get on that bike for that long. Fortunately, we live just about 3o miles south of Dennis Kirk, who had a Mustang seat (w/backrest) in stock. So we went up there soon after they opened, and brought back the Mustang figuring if it didn't help, at least we could return it. Well, we finished the entire ride, 150 miles, and my wife said it "made a world of difference" to her. The back portion is wider and reaches all the way back to just under the backrest, instead of coming up short as the stock seat does. My driver's position seat is much more comfortable as well. I like that it sits you up about an inch higher, cradles you in, and I also got the driver's backrest version which to me was well worth the extra $. I used to have an add-on Protac backrest on the 750, and I found I really missed having a backrest there. I'm 50+ and a backrest is much appreciated!:)

And today's ride went a full 2-1/4 hours until our first and only stretch/gas break. Sure, it felt pretty good to get off by then, but neither of us felt any soreness and it actually felt good to get back on when we took off again. So FWIW, I found the Mustang saddle a huge improvement over the stock.

As always, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts on my seat decisions for the winter. With my 900LT, its a one piece seat, and my wife has her own bike, so thats no problem there. As for me, I am a "big boy" 6'2" and 310# with a 30" inseam. More thoughts will always be appreciated. Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts