Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from 3 day ride on stock seat with wooden beads. Can't do that anymore! LOL I've had Corbins and they are just OK IMHO. 99% sure I'm going to a Mustang, but don't know which style: wide touring, square back, tripper, etc. I normally ride one up.

So . . . what Mustang seat do you have and how is it on comfort? Thx!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a mustang on my 1500 Nomad and it’s really comfortable. The only thing that I dislike is it shoves me forward a couple inches, I’m tall so it cramps me a little. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a mustang on my 1500 Nomad and it’s really comfortable. The only thing that I dislike is it shoves me forward a couple inches, I’m tall so it cramps me a little. Your mileage may vary.
Which style do you have?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Vintage Wide Tour three piece on an 800A

went from a max of 30-40 minutes for the stock saddle to an easy 5 hour ride, (pausing only long enough to fill up).
That's a major change in anyone's book!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is impressive! So what is a 3-peice seat? I see Mustang has a 2-piece.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that backrest is removable, I think that is the one I'm going to get. I've had Corbins, and to me they are just OK, but much better than stock. I'm looking for something better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is removable.
When it's not attached the drivers saddle has a small flap that seals down with a velcro strip to cover the backrest mounting socket.
Without the backrest, it's hard to tell from the two piece.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm leaning towards that one now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reviving this thread. I know more of you have Mustang seats and I'm anxious to hear from you. Are they as comfortable as what the folks so far have said? It will be the biggest investment of my bike if I buy one! Ouch. So just doing my research. Currently, I can only go an hour or so before I start getting very uncomfortable. Looking for a comfy seat. All comments welcomed. Or if you are a Corbin fan or another manufacturer fan, let's here that too. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My advice is to shop around.

I found mine on Craigslist for a C note. ... but it was missing the backrest.
About a month later a backrest showed up on the bay for 50.

So I scored a $700 seat for $150.
They're out there if you have a little patience, and hunt for them.

Good Luck.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I have the Day tripper. Been happy with it so far.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Comfortable on long rides?
Yes, With the stock seat after a day long ride I would get off my bike with butt pain and sweat. Now just sweat. I found a solution to the sweat. I look for a cool place for some sweet tea. I also noticed my lower back don't hurt either. Now I did the same as you, read all the posts on what everybody else was using and how they felt about it. These seats are not cheap brand new so be sure on what you want. I also went to some bike shops and looked around on some bikes with different seats. As far as long rides go my body ain't as young as I thought it used to be so I stop every so often and like I said.......... sweet tea.:grin2:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the difference between Cobra's one-piece and two-piece seats (other than the obvious, LOL). I'm thinking the one-piece will accept a backrest whereas the two-piece is using the passenger's seat as a 'built-in' backrest. Is this correct or are there other reasons for the two styles? Any differences in comfort?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Only had her out on two 20 minute runs since installing the one piece but it’s defintely better than stock. $480 better? Maybe not but I also wanted the studded look. I’ll know better after a 50 minute commute ride. I added it at the same time as doing a Grampsizing mod, so the extra height of the passenger seat is nice, because she really accelerates stronger now!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input; pulled the trigger today on the mustang wide-touring two-piece w/driver's backrest! After my 700 mile ride last weekend--I don't think my tailbone could take any more abuse! I also bought some Kuryakyn right angle foot pegs that bolt onto the frame--should be some comfortable riding from now on out! Will report back after I put a thousand miles or so on both!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts