Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vulcan 900 custom and I'm thinking of replacing the seat as I had back surgery a year ago so I want the most comfort that I can get. I've heard mustang seats are very good but they sit a little higher than the stock seats which isnt much of an issue as the comfort, if I go over a bump I don't want to feel it in my spine. Any other seats out there that may be a good alternative, I also want to have the backrest added which should aid in comfort

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also have a bad back. The Classic that I purchased used already had the Mustang seats with the backrest. Some days I think the Motorcycle is more comfortable than the car. The backrest is really nice. Sorry I don't have much experience with other seats. But I'm very happy with the Mustang seats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a Mustang on my Classic LT...The best upgade I've done to the bike, I and the wife love it. I can't answer for the Mustang seat for the custom, but just to let you know that my seat will fit a custom also. If you ride 2up alot, it might be something to think about! In my opinion, it's worth every penny!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I bought a Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat and found it not much different than stock... I did not like it at all......anyway, I dont think they are so hot but many folks swear by them.

I finally found Russell Seats... they make a seat called the Daylong that solved all my long distance ride issues.... it works well particularly if you are a big person...

I have a vulcan 900 custom and I'm thinking of replacing the seat as I had back surgery a year ago so I want the most comfort that I can get. I've heard mustang seats are very good but they sit a little higher than the stock seats which isnt much of an issue as the comfort, if I go over a bump I don't want to feel it in my spine. Any other seats out there that may be a good alternative, I also want to have the backrest added which should aid in comfort

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
IMO, from my experience, the Mustang is better than the stock OEM seat, but that's about all I can say about it. My wife was uncomfortable with her Mustang seat as well.

We both now have Russell seats on our 900 Classics and are very comfortable now. The Russell is more expensive than the Mustang, about $200 more, and worth every penny of it, too. It's a truly custom made seat and they make it exactly to your needs and specifications. I don't know where you live, but it's really worthwhile to arrange for a ride-in appointment to have your seat made because you're right there for the fittings. Of course if you live on the other side of the country that wouldn't be very convenient. We are fortunate to live just a day's drive to Redding, CA.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Mustang on my Classic LT...The best upgade I've done to the bike, I and the wife love it. I can't answer for the Mustang seat for the custom, but just to let you know that my seat will fit a custom also. If you ride 2up alot, it might be something to think about! In my opinion, it's worth every penny!
What he said..........

Brian

·
Registered
894 Posts
After trying a Corbin on my Sabre, I went with the Mustang and LOVED it! I also have a bad back - surgery 10 years ago - The Mustang gave me about 17,000 comfortable miles on the Sabre - including a two week nearly 7,000 mile cross country trip last year - I just put one on my Voyager and my butt and back are very happy . . .

·
Registered
953 Posts
For me, the Mustang is better than stock for 2-up riding. One negative is the driver position goes up and forward a bit, changing the riding experience. It's a good seat, but it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2 steel rods in my back (scoliosis surgery in '98), and I just got a Mustang Daytripper. I enjoy it very much. It is much firmer than the stock seat, and so gives good support. I liken it to sleeping on a firm mattress (which I like).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another choice that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the Ultimate Seat. Like the Mustang, it sits you slightly higher & more forward (about an inch) than the stock seat. It is more expensive than the Mustang, but very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I rode both my Classic with a Mustang and my Custom with a Saddleman renegade solo yesterday.

The Saddleman is much firmer than the Mustang and is an inch lower than stock. There is a gel pad in the seat and the ride is by far, more firm. Having said that, the Mustang has way more miles on it and the Saddleman is still being broke in. Comfort is also dictated by the riding position in relation to the Customs handlebar position. The back support of the Saddleman is not on par with the mustang.

Switching rides from the Custom to the Classic, the seat position was immediately noticeable, a little higher, forward and certainly more comfortable for the long ride. This seat is well broken in with two trips under its belt, 6000 and 5500 plus miles. The Mustang offers far more back support and gives far more overall comfort. It is a little wider and with the design offers a little over 8" in the seat back height. My Classic is used for 2 up long distance stuff. It does raise the passenger into the wind and elements far more than the stocker and there is no passenger grab strap. My custom is used for day rides and tooling around, solo riding only.

In conclusion, if i had to choose 1, it would be the Mustang ..... it is a great seat for me. I do not have back issues and have have mostly positive experiences from the seat. Seats are like motorcycles, you can never get to test them out for any long periods of time. I would certainly look at the Corbin and Russell seats, they are a little more pricey, and as we know, accessories are a balance between cost and function.

One thing i do know, a orange crate would be more comfortable than the "stocker."

Look for the seat that is the best for you, everybody's riding posture, postion, butts and backs are different.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow thanks for all the excellant input!!! I think I'm leaning towards the mustang due to the price but more importantly it appears to give more of an upright position which I think I need, along with a backrest of course. Also being pushed forward about an inch shouldn't be much of a problem as I'm 5'8 and the forward position would only help with a straighter torso

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am also in the 5'8" range and found the new position with the Mustang seat to be a great benefit combined with the added comfort. I can ride 3-4 times longer without a break with the Mustang. When I decided to try the Mustang I started looking for a used one and found one close to me for half the new price. Most people take off these seats when they trade and you can pick one up cheap if you are patient. Highly reccommend the backrest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The other thing to consider would be a new shock. I have a couple slipped disks and other issues. I put a Saddleman solo and a progressive shock. The combo made a big difference. The bumps are much better absorbed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about new shocks but want totry the seat first but that may be a good alternative

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went from a stock seat,to a gel seat,then just before a 1,500 mile round trip put on a Mustang touring seat and was very thankful I did. After 750 miles your ass is gonna get sore no matter what seat you have,and having lower back problems although I was sore when I got to my destination, I know I wouldn't have been able to make it straight through(14 hrs) without the new seat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'll try the mustang, does anyone know how much higher t raises the seat and how much farther forward? Is it more than 2 inches hgher and forward?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts