Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought this seat.

I was expecting the backrest to have more of a forward motion. However, I noticed that the main backrest bracket leans back about 30 degree or so. Is this normal? Should it be straight? Using the thumb screw all the way in, I don't any support from the backrest. If anyone can help that would be great. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought a Mustang touring seat with the drivers backrest as well. Like you, I was surprised at the angle the bracket goes in at, but unlike you I do feel I have back support, too much so with the screw all the way in. Maybe you just sit up straighter than I do though. I'm looking now at getting a set of risers to bring my handlebars back so I can relax more against the rest and not have my arms so outstretched.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same problem here.You can search locally at your hardware store or Home Depot for a 5/16-24 fine thread bolt of the length you want and use it to replace the one that came with the backrest. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. At least I know the seat backrest is what it is. I do sit faily straight..a friend of mine said my car seat was like a carpenter "square"...letter "L"!

Two great solutions. I saw a video on U-Tube. The rider put risers on his VN. He also had a Mustang seat with backrest. Said the lenght of the cables became an issue.

I thougth of the longer bolt. Maybe incorporating a spring for absorbtion. Perhaps as well a simple rubber wedge.

Thank you so much for responding...things you don't expect when you buy a new seat. I thought the 2" adjustment would be beyond the edge of the driver seat back. The Mustang site" is a bit light in these details.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Everyone has different dimensions. I'm 5'10", and have a 29" inseam. Wide shoulders (jacket sizes of 50-54) and wear 35-36 length shirts.

You need to figure out your sizes/ergonomics, and make adjustments so your bike fits.

The Mustang with br is just the start, but lets you stay in the seat for way more than an hour.

I wanted the bars back an inch or so, so I got Phat Risers from ScootWorks. (Not Phat II)
No cable adjustments required. Perfect.

Then I got a Lindby bar, but was an inch or two far away for my short legs. Just got Kury Longhorn Dually Pegs, and added them to the Lindby, an inch or so above brake pedal height, and angled back towards me probably at 15-20 degrees outside of straight back.

Was at the Laconia rally in NH last week, and rode for hours in my Lazy Boy !

Added a Vista Cruise control yesterday, as that covered my final "need".

Not a need, but, added a Kruzer Kady as well.

All set Now, if I only didn't need to pee or get gas....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puckoah thanks for the info.

Did you buy the "Micropolished risers? They claim 2" back....is this what you gained?

Denis

·
Registered
455 Posts
They are chrome. Got them used, from a guy that swapped to Phat II.

The 2 inches was all I needed. Angled the bars down a little too, probably adding almost another inch. Everyone refers to them as Beach Bars now. But, they are the stock bars.

Sit on the bike, reach out. At my second knuckle, it was comfortable, so the 2 inches closed my hand around the grip.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info. The guy on YouTube put a set of Kuryakyn Kickback Risers. Kuryakyn specs 4" rise and 1 1/2" pull back. The rise is the same as Scootworks. Apparently he had problems with the wires. Did you have the Vulcan Classic and did you re-route anything?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I didn't have to.

There is a lot of posts/threads on this, do a search on here, and the other Kawi site.

From what I picked up on, it's not all that difficult to do the small re-route.

Wish I could put up a picture, but I don't have a seperate photo site right now to uplaod and do the transfer with.

Maybe I'll do that later today, yahoo has a flicka that comes recommended.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mustang Seat (Update)

Hi everyone,

OMGSA - Got a chance to take the bike for a ride. First time on the Mustang Seat. Simply Amazing. Wow I can't believe the difference.

My stock seat was at 26.75". The Mustang seat is at 28.5". Therefore, I was raised by 1.75" (measured). I also found that the seat allows me to sit further back than the stock seat by about 3/4". I used to sit on that last hump of the stock seat....now with the Mustang's "squarrer" profile that's gone. My legs position is much better...stretched out both on the footrest and on the ground. My legs have a much more natural feel. I've got much better stability since my legs are "straighter" (30" inseam) and flatfooted on the ground. I sit and can see over the windshield yet still low enough to look through it. Alot less Buffeting. I road for 2.5 "smooth" hours non stop...short ride. Like driving a "cadilac". Like others, I need to get the bars back to get the full effect of the "Backrest" and proper stands. I've ordered the risers and should be installing it next week...looking forward to the full package. For those interested, I'll Update when I'm done. If it helps anyone else...I'm 5' 8.5".

As a side line, I also have a "BrakeAway" Cruise control Unit which rounds off the package admirably....works like a charm.

Thanks to all.

Denis

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've ordered the risers and should be installing it next week...looking forward to the full package. For those interested, I'll Update when I'm done. If it helps anyone else...I'm 5' 8.5".

As a side line, I also have a "BrakeAway" Cruise control Unit which rounds off the package admirably....works like a charm.

Which risers did you order? My local dealership has a set of Baron Kickback risers in stock, but want $187 for them (I'd like to buy local, but...). Anyway, I'm kind of torn between the Baron, the Phatrisers and the Phatrisers II. I'm having some difficulty deciding how much pullback I want. I'm kind of thinking too much might be better than not enough, and so the Phat II's are where I'm leaning.

Kerry

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Kerry,

I bought the Kickback Risers by Kuryakyn (#1735...http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1818/KickBack-Risers). They list for $119.00. They are the same style as the Kawasaki but with a different look for the head shape. After going for a ride on the bike with the Mustang seat, I felt the 1.5 - 2" kickback will be plenty...also there is no need for re-routing. Check out the following you-tube video...

Hope this helps.

Denis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts