Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of himming and hawing, finally bit the bullet and purchased a new seat for my classic. So far glad I did. Haven't put a trip on it yet but just around the town what a huge difference! Wife thinks the br looks "dorky" but sure is nice leaning back now. Don't plan on keeping it on except for trips not back and forth to work. Best price I could find is $539.99 free shipping through ebay. The old stock seat had me sitting on the curve all the time, now your butt sits flat and the incline should help the back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got one myself a month ago. Give it a 200 mile break in and you'll like it even more. One thing, I just bought the OEM backrest for my Vulcan 900 Custom. The backrest bars press right into the rear of the seat. Makes it difficult to put seat back on after taking it off, and the backrest is real low and puny looking (and at that price!) because of the size and thickness of the Mustang seat. I didn't buy, and will not be able to attach, the OEM backrest luggage rack due to this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oops, I stand corrected. I just read the thread 'passenger backrest'. Has picture of same Mustang seat on Vulcan 900 SE. Shows backrest bars just press into seat like mine, but luggage rack attaches different than I thought and will fit. In this instance, I may later be happy I was wrong about this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seat

Finally got a 200 mile cruise in with new seat. I wouldn't believe it but didn't have any butt soreness whatsoever! With stock seat I couldn't go thirty miles and I was sore and always moving around to get comfortable. Really liking the backrest, a pretty expensive option but worth it I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does it cause your back to sweat? Im a big guy and my back sweats like crazy. It is 95 degrees outside. maybe that has something to do with it. I went from a sportster to the 1500 classic so Im not complaining at all LOL.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can solve the sweating problem in two ways. Walmart sells beaded seat cushions. cut to fit. They also sell lambs wool washing gloves in auto care, you can buy 4 of those and sew them together for a seat cushion. Gadgets Fixit page has a link to that, use Mr. Google to find Gadgets page.
From time to time Walmart and last I saw Sam's club also sell Lamb fleeces. Enough of the shaggy stuff to do two full seats/backrests rider and passanger pillions. I think they were just over 20 bucks and I dang near bought one.

Or you can spend 50-75 at Alaskan Fur to get a cover. Anyways, if I'm on the seat for more than an hour I put mine on and it keeps the monkey but away.

Gotta rock the GrandDaughter. good luck. Mustang with the backrest is MY seat and it's wonderful. 16 hour days no problems

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mustang seat

I have some sweating also on hot humid days as of yet haven't purchased any materials to help with that. Finally got a week off and put on 800 miles up in northern michigan. Can't really believe I didn't get a sore butt once with the new seat and backrest. I haven't noticed any change like others in the placement up or down compared to the stock seat. I'm still able to grab bars comfortably and put the feet up on the lindbar, makes for a nice feeling on hot humid days. If anyone gets a chance to ride in the Traverse City area around all the lakes on the winding roads it's well worth the trip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Does it cause your back to sweat?.
The Mustang seat w/backrest is perhaps the one add-on I would not do without... it's my biggest "contact patch" with the bike! About the sweating, we don't get that many 90+degree days up here but yes, I too have noticed the back sweat situation. I usually can just lean forward off the backrest for a little while to circulate some air around there, and that helps for a while. (Living in the northland, it's a problem I actually wish I had more of!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Took awhile to get used to mine.....

I got a Mustang Wide Touring Seat for my Custom about a month ago. I started taking the GF out for rides on weekends, and she liked it except for the stock seat. About an hour was all she could stand and I can't say I blame her. The stock seat is more about style than comfort especially where it concerns the passenger. She was thrilled with the comfort of the Mustang seat with the thicker and denser foam plus the passenger pad is much wider. The width made her feel more secure and she became less twitchy in the saddle. I have an aftermarket 14" Cobra Sissy Bar with luggage rack and the seat fills in the space between the uprights and rack perfectly without getting squashed. The height of the bar looks good with the new seat but the pad looks too small now. The pad looked right with the narrower stock seat so I'll be changing that soon.

But the seat took a bit for me to get used to since the whole seat uses the thicker and denser foam. It is quite comfortable but it changed my riding position. I'm 6'-1" and it pushed me up and forward a tad. I don't slouch like I did in the stock seat and the passenger pad does provide a lot more lower back support making long rides more comfortable. I don't have to "stretch" my legs very much to reach the controls anymore. Like I said, it's not uncomfortable but different. After a month of riding with the new seat, it feels natural when I hop on. I swapped seats and ran the stock just for grins and didn't notice anything going to stock. But when I put the Mustang back on I felt the difference again. But after one ride it felt natural. If I had been able to try multiple seats before I bought the Mustang, I might have chosen something different like the Daytripper or even the Saddleman Explorer seat. The perils of doing busines online. To be fair, the GF liked it so much I didn't have the heart to send it back and whose to say a different one would have been any better for me. But it is a great seat and it makes the ride more enjoyable for the both of us.

BTW I got the seat and all of my upgrades (except for OEM windshield) from:
http://www.westendmotorsports.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts