Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Mustang seat & risers

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  mikesr1963 
#1 ·
Here is a pix of recently installed risers I got from refined cycle,,,,http://refinedcycle.com/ as a fix to the Mustang seat putting me back a bit.

They have helped me with getting closer to the bars by about 2 inches without any noticeable increase in bar height. One point of interest: these risers are better suited to a 900 custom vs. a classic. The mounting to a classic triple tree leaves about a 3/4 inch overhang on the rear, though the set up is structurally firm. Some classic owners may not care for this look.

Thanks to all previous posts on this seat and riser issue. I now have a much more comfortable riding position.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
mustang seat...

....my Mustang seat let me back about an inch due to the "pocket" at the back that supports your lower back....and the increased padding raised me by about 1/2" I would guess...nothing astounding, but subtle. I put Gen-Mar 1" risers on my classic as well, then "lowered" my grab angle to the bars a tad...works nicely.

#4 ·
Hutson, how easy or hard would you say it is to install the risers. It sounds like just what I need after installing the Mustang seat. Did you run into any problems during the install or is it pretty straight forward. Thanks much.

#5 · (Edited)
Mustang seat and risers answers

Thanks for all the questions and replies.

I'm only 5' 7" with a 29" inseam and 31" sleeve, so the seat change was noticeable after 20 minutes on the bike.

Surprisingly, the Mustang seat put me up about 1 inch and 2 inches back as a by-product of increased padding and the seat pocket design of the seat. As mentioned in one of the posts, to be truly comfortable in the seat pocket with its small, natural backrest we come back, not forward. This matter has been discussed at length in a few recent posts on the 900 forum. One member even considered sending his mustang back and buying an ultimate seat as a result of this "reach" issue. The issues we short folks put up with!!:D

The risers were "easy" to install once I took the bars off my stock risers and started from that point. Getting the bars off the stock risers requires loosening the bolts inside the risers which have allen key inserts. A metric allen key and hammer :eek: were needed to get them off the stock tightening.

On a "Classic" the new risers must be bolted to the stock risers, mounted to the triple tree, and then put the handle bars back on. On a "Custom", you may be able to put the new risers directly on the triple tree and then remount your bars; not sure on that. When ordering these risers from refined cycle, a set of new bolts are included for an extra $3, and they came in very handy as my stock bolts were used to fasten the stock risers to the new ones. The new bolts were used to fasten the new set up back to the triple tree. Those new bolts are also allen key type tighteners which is a bit difficult to get a trusted torque set without a good allen key and hammer tap or two. Given I used the hammer a few times, I covered the tank and other "vital" bike parts with towels at least to make me feel better.

Long answer is; it was "easy" given the excellent results, but harder than I expected; like most any "easy" installation.;)

I hope this helps your situation. Refined Cycle was quick to mail out their product and offered a refund should they not work on my classic as he was not sure I would like the set up; great guys at Refined.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the questions and replies.
... On a "Classic" the new risers must be bolted to the stock risers, mounted to the triple tree, and then put the handle bars back on. On a "Custom", you may be able to put the new risers directly on the triple tree and then remount your bars; not sure on that. ...

Is this really the case? I thought the stock risers could come off all bikes?

#6 ·
Which Mustang seat?

Which Mustang seat are we talking about? If I read this correctly, people with the vintage touring seat seem to say it pushes them forward and up, whereas those with the daytripper seem to say they sit lower and further back. I'm wondering myself (and I've probably read most of the posts on this subject), as I'm looking to replace the stock seat, but can't afford to room to be pushed forward at all (I'm 6' 4"). Thanks.

#11 ·
Which Mustang seat are we talking about? If I read this correctly, people with the vintage touring seat seem to say it pushes them forward and up, whereas those with the daytripper seem to say they sit lower and further back. I'm wondering myself (and I've probably read most of the posts on this subject), as I'm looking to replace the stock seat, but can't afford to room to be pushed forward at all (I'm 6' 4"). Thanks.
I have the vintage touring model, definitely back a bit from stock (and up).

#8 · (Edited)
Mustang Seat specifics

Hi RandyG,

Thanks for your question. I too was confused by varying opinions of this forward or back issue with the Mustang seat. Mine is listed below as bought through Cruiser Customizing.

M-76127 Mustang Seats One-Piece Wide Vintage Touring Seat - Kawasaki VN900 Classic (06 - Newer) VN900 Custom (07 - Newer)

This seat definitely brought my rear end back into the seat pocket which is great for the lower back and overall comfort. I read on another post (might have been on a Yamaha forum) that if we buy direct from Mustang, they will give you a trial period and return policy whereas after market sites will not. With you being tall, the extra room might help stretch your legs to the brake and gears controls

Here is their web address: http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Seats

Here is Mustang's return policy: Return Policy for Seats and Accessories Purchased Directly from Mustang:

"If you buy a seat directly from Mustang (whether online or by telephone), you have up to a maximum of 10 days after receiving it to discuss the nature of any problem with a Mustang customer representative by calling 800-243-1392 or 860-582-9633. If the seat is to be returned, we will send you a Return Merchandise Authorization (“RMA”) form that will include our shipping address. As with any product you would return, be sure it is in perfect condition (no scratches, scuffs, rips, etc.). Any returns in less than new condition will be charged a 20% restocking fee. Put the seat back into the original box with the original packaging, include the RMA form and ship it prepaid to Mustang via UPS, FedEx or the Postal Service. No returns will be accepted without a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form. All returns must be prepaid and carefully packed to avoid shipping damage."

It's a bit more expensive to buy directly from Mustang, but hey, they are an all American company in Mass. with a great family history with a trial period; can't beat that.

I hope this helps you decide as I know the stock seat is not that great on long rides.

#9 ·
I just installed the Vintage Wide Touring seat on my 900 Custom. I forces you back an inch or two as Hutson says because the stock seat is sloped and kind of forces you forward. To me that's more of an issue than being raised up an inch or so.
I'm going to try these Refined ones.
What a difference the seat makes though. Very comfortable, big, big improvement.

#10 ·
On a 900 Custom, the Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat (either with or w/o a drivers backrest), will move you UP by 1" (measured from the ground) due to the thicker padding and BACK by ~1" (measured from the center of the handlebars) due to the deeper pocket. To confirm this, I measured these distances against my stock seat since the Mustang felt so different to me when first installed. The HR2's solved my issues with the increased reach to the bars as well.

I'm physically the same "dimensions" as Hutson, so it's not surprising to see that we had exactly the same issues even though we have 'different' 900's!

#16 ·
I hear you on the "look"; if they were not so functional, I would probably pull them off and go with the "kick backs" as you have mentioned. I'll leave them on for now and see how they work out in the long run.

Thanks for you candor.;)

#13 ·
I have the Vintage Wide Mustang seat on a classic and I definitely sit back further about 2 inches and up 1 inch or more. This results in back pain from the longer reach to the bars. I've switch back and forth a couple times between the Mustang seat and the stock seat to see the difference. The Mustang seat is much more comfortable of course otherwise so set of risers to make up the difference would solve the reach problem but I'm debating which risers would be best, if I decide to go that route.

All that said, the other big thing I notice (which doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere so maybe it's just me) is that when I sit back in the Mustang seat I don't feel the same level of control on the front wheel when riding. That is, it seems "looser". I can scoot up on the Mustang seat and this feeling goes away and the entire handling of the bike feels more stable. I can also just lean forward and get the same result so I'm sure it's just the weight distribution. But, I like it much better when I'm forward on the bike. So, per a previous long winded post I re-ordered the Ultimate seat because I believe it keeps you in the same horizontal position, which is what I'm looking for. (Yes, I ordered one, tried it briefly, returned it, got the Mustang and then discovered the reach problem. My wife is going to kill me about the shipping fees!) I should get the Ultimate seat next week. I'll post the results of the comparison after I get a chance to ride on it a while.

#15 ·
Steve900c how do you like your mini floorboards? There just isn't anyone that makes regular boards for a custom. I need something besides the pegs.

#17 ·
I love the mini boards -- they give me just enough room to move my feet so my knees/legs don't get cramped from being in one position. My legs are too short to make use of highway bars and pegs, or that would have been a good option! They're a really good compromise between pegs and full floorboards. FYI, you can use the bike-specific Kury "splined adapters" and then fit Kury's Premium and Iso floorboards as well. I decided I didn't want something that large (and expensive), so the Mini's are perfect. Kury now makes the Mini's in black also (http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4294/Premium-Mini-Boards).

#19 ·
Risers

I just installed some Refined Cycle risers to correct my seating position after installing a new Mustang seat. The install was puttsier than I thought it would be, but nothing difficult. Took it for a test ride today, and I really like the results. I don't feel like I'm reaching for the bars now. Thanks Hutson for the heads up about Refined Cycle

#20 ·
glad they worked out

I just installed some Refined Cycle risers to correct my seating position after installing a new Mustang seat. The install was puttsier than I thought it would be, but nothing difficult. Took it for a test ride today, and I really like the results. I don't feel like I'm reaching for the bars now. Thanks Hutson for the heads up about Refined Cycle
Hey,

You are quite welcome. I'm glad those risers worked out for you as well.

Nice looking bike in that color especially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.