Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to post my first question.
I don't want to do a lot of modifications to my vaquero since I am mostly happy with the way it is now. However, I want to add the Kawasaki passenger backrest and a mustang seat. I was watching a YouTube video of a gentleman who had the passenger backrest and when he went to add the mustang seat he had to modify the backrest because the seat wouldn't fit with it. He basically had to raise up the backrest so only one bolt was holding on to the bracket instead of two bolts. Has anyone here experienced that? I was just curious before I go and drop that kind of cash because neither the seat or backrest are cheap.
I could post a link to the video, but I wasn't sure that was allowed here. Thanks in advance for any answers or advise! ...Dennis

·
Registered
457 Posts
Time to post my first question.
I don't want to do a lot of modifications to my vaquero since I am mostly happy with the way it is now. However, I want to add the Kawasaki passenger backrest and a mustang seat. I was watching a YouTube video of a gentleman who had the passenger backrest and when he went to add the mustang seat he had to modify the backrest because the seat wouldn't fit with it. He basically had to raise up the backrest so only one bolt was holding on to the bracket instead of two bolts. Has anyone here experienced that? I was just curious before I go and drop that kind of cash because neither the seat or backrest are cheap.
I could post a link to the video, but I wasn't sure that was allowed here. Thanks in advance for any answers or advise! ...Dennis
I imagine that you are wanting a mustang seat for the extended riding it allows you to have over a stock seat. If I am correct in that, then You should review this web sight. They are known for making the best long haul seats in the business. Only thing, is they make the new seat from your original stock seat pan. They have a picture of a vaquero with their seats and the stock sissy-bar, backrest and rack with no problems. The price would be about the same as a mustang. https://day-long.com/

Now if you are buying a Mustang seat only because you want a Mustang seat then please disregard the above paragraph. 0:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I chose to skip the Kawasaki backrest and buy the Mustang seat with their own backrest. I also have a slot to use the backrest for the driver. I rarely ride without it now. When I have a passenger I pull it out and move it to the rear slot. It works great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
I imagine that you are wanting a mustang seat for the extended riding it allows you to have over a stock seat. If I am correct in that, then You should review this web sight. They are known for making the best long haul seats in the business. Only thing, is they make the new seat from your original stock seat pan. They have a picture of a vaquero with their seats and the stock sissy-bar, backrest and rack with no problems. The price would be about the same as a mustang. https://day-long.com/

Now if you are buying a Mustang seat only because you want a Mustang seat then please disregard the above paragraph. 0:)
Plus one on the Day-Long seat. Had one on my 900 and it was great. It was not cheap (around $900, but that was because of the one piece seat on the 900s) but is was worth every penny. I may go with another one if I can save up enough for it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I was looking at the mustang seat for the same reason. My question is do you feel higher on the vaquero with the mustang seat over the stock seat, I'm 5'8 with 29 inch inseam so bike just fits with the stock seat don't want to be any higher

·
Registered
547 Posts
I rode Voyager with a mustang and compared to stock it was noticably higher. I ended buying a Voyager wih a stock seat and then added an Ultimate seat. The Ultimate is lower than the Mustang and close to stock but has better foam etc. It is not as soft as either the Mustang or stock but way softer then a Corbin. I owned a Corbin so I've sat on all of them...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi I was looking at the mustang seat for the same reason. My question is do you feel higher on the vaquero with the mustang seat over the stock seat, I'm 5'8 with 29 inch inseam so bike just fits with the stock seat don't want to be any higher
The Mustang definitely raises you a bit...I cant remember exactly how much. I'm 5'11 with 32" inseam and I'm just flat footed in my Mustang. In other words, when I stand up my crotch is still on the seat.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Get a BUTTpad !!!

The cost of replacement seats are preposterous !!!

REALLY ???

$500-600 or even 900 bucks ???

NOT DOIN IT !!!

There are several companies that will mod your seat for $100-$200...

Me???
I bought a Buttpad from Alaska Leathers...
100% Fleece...
Warm in the winter and cool in the summer...
No more parking in the sun and getting your ass burned when time to go...

Here ya go !!!

https://alaskaleather.com/

Ride On !!!
Luckymann77
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes they are very expensive and stock seats usually are not that comfortable. I can't afford to buy a Mustang so I'm considering just gettin my stock seat re-upholstered with some gel foam.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a Mustang on my 900. When I traded for my Voyager I knew from the test ride that I wanted a Mustang. I was able to get the dealer to add the cost of the seat into my loan. I rode for 5 (uncomfortable) days on the stock seat until the Mustang arrived.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am " close to pulling the trigger on a Voyager and want the Mustang seat for one reason.. the driver backrest. Is there a driver backrest out there that can be used with the stock seat somehow?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am " close to pulling the trigger on a Voyager and want the Mustang seat for one reason.. the driver backrest. Is there a driver backrest out there that can be used with the stock seat somehow?
I believe Grasshopper and Utopia both make a driver backrest to fit the stock seat.

By the way...I have the Mustang with driver backrest and love it. I only take it out when I have a passenger and need to move it to the back.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I would not do without my Mustang seat. It is the best thing (besides Ivan's flash) that I could ever do to the bike. Had one for 9 years on my Suzuki C90; when I got the Voyager in 2014, it took me a year to save up for the seat. It was a semi-miserable year during the wait, but well worth it

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you look on eBay there is a back rest made by grasshopper that fits the voyager stock seat

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up one from GrassHopper KAWASAKI VAQUERO - GRASSHOPPER LIMITED
last year. The price was better than swapping out the entire seat. No complaints with it although I haven't had it out on any long rides yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of this Grasshopper seat installed on their Voyager? Would the year of the bike make any difference? Is it adjustable in any way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the driver backrest on the stock seat. It is not adjustable, in fact it isn't even secured to the seat, it just slides in. Not too secure. I'm looking at a way to secure it from underneath the seat just haven't had the time yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's the driver backrest on the stock seat. It is not adjustable, in fact it isn't even secured to the seat, it just slides in. Not too secure. I'm looking at a way to secure it from underneath the seat just haven't had the time yet.
Thank you Barry. Well, that one is out for me. I just want plug 'n play and some sort of minor adjustability would be nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do any of these seats sit the driver further back than the stock seat? I have a 2015 Voyager, and I find I'm constantly pushing myself further back so I'm not in such a cramped riding position. I've adjusted the handle bars forward as much as I can but would really like to find a seat w/backrest solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts