Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Mustang Day tripper seat on ebay in the UK! Not a rare thing in the US but most custom parts are like hens teeth to fid at a reasonable price here in Europe so as the old seat was starting to split I bought it and it arrived Friday morning. Straight after work Friday it was fitted and looks wonderful apart from the nasty rub mark on the tank which the new seat does not cover. I had read on here that this seat does not cover as much of the tank as the stock seat but I hoped it would be OK. No such luck! So do I get the tank re-painted at work and hope they can match the colour and not take too long with it or is there another answer? So I start looking for a tank bib on ebay but they are all in the US so very expensive when you add shipping and import taxes. It can't be that hard to make a simple vinyl cover can it? I have a sewing machine and a shop nearby sells all sorts of fabric including vinyl so here is the result. I bought a meter of fabric for £10 (about $15) and only used a small part of it so this really only cost me about $1 and a couple of hours work! As the pictures show, I tried a couple of ideas before making the final shape.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
That looks pretty nice. Doesn't it feel better knowing you made it yourself and it's truly a 1 of a kind piece?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I put the day tripper on as well. I used rubbing compound then some polishing compound. Almost all the dull came out. Hit it with some wax and I'm happy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish it were that simple on my bike but if you look at the second picture you can see it has worn right thru to the steel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts