Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a mustang seat on my new 900 classic. This is the two up seat where the front edge of the passenger seat provides about 2 inches of the drivers back rest. My first observation was that I sit higher but I think I can get use to that. It feels a bit different but not bad. However, my arms are now lower on the bars and my upper back is a bit sore. But, the bottom comfort is great. On the stock seat I always felt like I was pushing myself back into the seat to keep from sliding forward and my butt would get sore and numb after 30 minutes or so. Now I sit flat but higher, and maybe a bit further back but not sure. But, now I have no bottom pain.

My main question is about the back rest. If I sit up straight there is a constant pressure on my lower back. I realize this is back support but after a while my lower back starts to ache a bit. Maybe I just have to get use to it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this seat. The mustang seat that has the detachable driver's backrest may not have this issue. I wasn't really interested in the full backrest so I opt'ed for this cheaper model but maybe the other model would work better for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've put about 300 miles on my new Vintage Wide Mustang seat and I love it. No soreness at all. My passenger says he gets pretty sore after a half hour or so. It did raise up a couple of inches though, which makes the sissy bar pretty ineffective.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just installed a mustang seat on my new 900 classic. This is the two up seat where the front edge of the passenger seat provides about 2 inches of the drivers back rest. My first observation was that I sit higher but I think I can get use to that. It feels a bit different but not bad. However, my arms are now lower on the bars and my upper back is a bit sore. But, the bottom comfort is great. On the stock seat I always felt like I was pushing myself back into the seat to keep from sliding forward and my butt would get sore and numb after 30 minutes or so. Now I sit flat but higher, and maybe a bit further back but not sure. But, now I have no bottom pain.

My main question is about the back rest. If I sit up straight there is a constant pressure on my lower back. I realize this is back support but after a while my lower back starts to ache a bit. Maybe I just have to get use to it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this seat. The mustang seat that has the detachable driver's backrest may not have this issue. I wasn't really interested in the full backrest so I opt'ed for this cheaper model but maybe the other model would work better for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Do you already have risers? A set can pull your bars back a bit, relieving pressure on your back.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to my mustang seat. At first I was kind of worried because it moved me up and forward and I'm 6'2", CLOSER isn't where I wanna be! But I got used to it. Now, it's super comfy! I'd wait a couple weeks before changing anything else to see what you get used to. I had a little bit of aching too but don't know. Once you get 'dialed in' then you can probably figure out if you need risers or whatever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
....I also just put the same Mustang seat on my 2010 Vulcan Classic. I'm 5'8", 175 lbs., and the seat actually set me back (into the rear support wall of the seat) just a tad, and ..maybe... 1/2" or so higher, but nothing that I would describe as a "riding on, instead of in" scenario. I spent some time with this set-up without any unusual discomfort....so next I installed a set of Gen-Mar 1" risers, which were easy to put on...unbolt the top cap...lower the bars down...slip the Gen-Mars under the bar...replace top cap with the supplied bolts, and adjust bars to height. The Gen-Mars were "just enough" to put the bars just a smidge closer, and up just enough so as to not feel like it was a huge adjustment, but very nice....along with the Mustang..the fit is very nice. I will agree...the stock seat was abysmal....I'm still going to send it to Spencer's for a mod though..just for the heck of it. You will love the Mustang...depending on your size...you might want to look at the 1" Gen-Mar risers...nice quality, and easy to install.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 5' 10", 195 lbs. I sit a bit higher and I think a bit further back. With the stock seat the bars were in just the right position. Now I need to reach out further. I trying to decide if I want to try and get use to that or install the risers. About 1" is all I think it would take. Can I ask where you got the Gen-Mars riser?

·
Registered
74 Posts
risers

....no problem! I thought about "easing" into "risers"...rather than going full bore with 2", 3", or 4" types....and these 1" Gen-Mars worked perfectly for me....

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, it appears that if the Mustang wide vintage seat is installed, which for me seems to have set me up higher and back a bit, then the 1 inch risers are required to adjust the bars to account for the change in seating position, or at least get close back to the original position. Does this sound correct? I found my position on the stock seat felt pretty good so the 1 inch risers sound like just the thing I need.

One other question. Can the angle of the bars be raised or lowered just by loosening the existing clamps? And if so, is that a feasible solution? But I would guess the angle can't be changed much with out effecting the handling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Old Dave....

...the original riser/tree angle of the V9 has enough "back", and "angle" to it, so that when I put the Gen-Mars on...it was "slightly" up...and "slightly" back....they were 1"...you can get 2" risers too but the 1" was "just enough" for me....it seemed to match my Mustang seat position perfectly.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from about half hour ride on my lunch hour and I have to agree. I think the one inch riser would probably be perfect. Anymore and it would probably be too much. Think I'll try that and see how it works. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Old Dave...

...no problem...I researched quite awhile about this, and didn't want to be "leaning backwards" due to the risers length...the position I have now is just right...good sitting position, (at low speeds)and good position as the speed picks up (no windshield), and the wind giving a slight "push" back...feels good in both scenarios.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just got my mustang seat today and went for a 45 mile ride. I was wondering if your butt kinda feels like its going to sleep?? I am a little taller the you about 6ft. I not having the riser issue. The only thing I might do is loosen the bar and role them a little

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I wouldn't describe it as "going to sleep" but I think I know what you mean. The reviews and comments on this seat made me think it was going to be like sitting in my lazy-boy! :) But it's still motorcycle seat and all the weight is on my butt and none on my legs so I think I can only expect so much. Given that, then the question is, is this seat the best comfort (or best for the price) we can expect? I only have a few hours of riding on the seat as well so I guess the jury is still out but it seems to get better each time I ride. It is definitely much better than the stock seat. After riding a while I also get that "going to sleep" sensation and want to move and the seat doesn't really let me move much. I find just leaning forward for a while helps. But when I get off or stand up at a stop I don't feel sore or numb like I did with the stock seat. So, I think as most folks here seem to say that maybe I just need to use it for a while. I'm going to try to put in some serious time before the return period expires but I'm fairly hopeful it will work out.

I do wish the position was the same so I didn't need the risers. If I thought there was another seat option for the same price or perhaps a bit more I'd like to try it but I haven't found anything that looks like it might be better.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The riser might be. But it is not bad where it is at now for me. I kinda felt me arms where bent to much like the bars where to close but I was getting used to it. Also being a little taller my reach is probably a little more. I am assuming you guys feel like your reaching for the grips. That's why the riser works for you. Bringing the bars up and back some. Also my last bike was a 97 intruder 1400 with narrow drag bars so maybe that's why it doe not seem bad to me.

I think I am like you had high expectation of it being like the lazy boy at home. It is Kind of a weird tingling feeling. But you are right I think it better then the stock seat so far. I am like you and hope it get better with some time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
seat..

...I read "many" reviews on the Mustang, and sat on a few at the dealer (used bikes traded in)....and I think if you give it some time you will blend in with it...it does help smooth out bumps in the road, and I find myself locating my backside to the rear of the seat to get the low back support. I had a Corbin solo on my Shadow, and while it "fit" me, and was a good seat...on long rides I was moving around some to adjust myself. The Mustang is new to me as well...never had one...but as I ride more, it does feel better each time I'm on the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts