Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to get a little more forward adjustment to the driver's backrest? I have the screw all the way in and I still fell that I need about a 1/4" more forward. I tried to take the screw out, but the end is peened over so it will not come out. Looking for ideas on what to do. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The length of the screw is kind of your limiting factor... The only thing you can really do is take that screw out and put another one in it, that's longer. You would have to put a bolt on the screw so that you could use the nut against the backing to ''lock'' the screw into place.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just spitballing but go to the hardware / nuts and bolts department of the hardware store and find one of those 'joiners' that are sort of like a chinese finger trap for bolts. They might be near threaded rods. Given the way the end is you might not be able to thread it on, but one of those attached at the end may offer a bit of 'extension'.

I also know some just lay the backrest flat forward, to give them more forward support.

The only other option I could think of would be a bit more invasive, but cutting that original bolt off and getting a longer thumbscrew from the hardware store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you tried placing a spacer, like a nut, between the screw and the back rest to see if it's what you need?
If you want the whole back rest to move forward and if you know what height you want it set at you can always take it out and put it in a padded vise and bend the bar a little. That way you don't have to run the screw out so far.
Otherwise file off the peened end and just unscrew it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The only special cable I'm aware of is the splitter cable so that you can have both XM and CB radio. Is that what you're referring to?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Just spitballing but go to the hardware / nuts and bolts department of the hardware store and find one of those 'joiners' that are sort of like a chinese finger trap for bolts. They might be near threaded rods. Given the way the end is you might not be able to thread it on, but one of those attached at the end may offer a bit of 'extension'.

I also know some just lay the backrest flat forward, to give them more forward support.

The only other option I could think of would be a bit more invasive, but cutting that original bolt off and getting a longer thumbscrew from the hardware store.

The problem with this idea, is that the bolt has special threads at the end that don't allow the bolt to back all the way out of the backrest. You couldn't add one of those ''Chinese finger trap'' things because the threads are fubar'd on purpose.

I had the same dilemma when I had the Mustang on my 9. I ended up not using the back rest ever.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with this idea, is that the bolt has special threads at the end that don't allow the bolt to back all the way out of the backrest. You couldn't add one of those ''Chinese finger trap'' things because the threads are fubar'd on purpose.

I had the same dilemma when I had the Mustang on my 9. I ended up not using the back rest ever.
I need some sort of backrest. I wouldn't last 20 miles without it. I will just have to find some sort of spacer. I will make something work.

I do want to try an Ultimate seat to see how they compare, but I cannot find a used one. There is no way I can afford a new one right now.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

I need some sort of backrest. I wouldn't last 20 miles without it. I will just have to find some sort of spacer. I will make something work.

I do want to try an Ultimate seat to see how they compare, but I cannot find a used one. There is no way I can afford a new one right now.
I wasn't suggesting that you do without the backrest.

You will have to cut the old bolt out and put a longer one it. Use a nut to lock the bolt in place. Try and remove the old bold and you will see what I am talking about with the threads.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts

Can't find a used one because when people buy them they keep them, LOL. They are that comfy.

Is there any way you can possibly remove the pad then thread and tap a hole opposite the adjustment screw? Using the head on the new bolt as a spacer. I am not familiar with the setup. Just thinking there may be a way to get something custom in place opposite the end of the adjustment bolt. A hex bolt would have a nice flat surface to butt up against.

·
Registered
578 Posts
How about some handle bar pull back risers that will allow you to lean back just a little more or a different bar that has more pull back.

With my thumbscrew all the way in, the backrest is pushing me slightly forward. I guess the 900 setup is a little different.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After riding 128 miles this weekend and talking to a couple of guys in my ridding group that also have Mustang seats, I have decided that I do not need to bring the backrest forward anymore then it will go with just the screw at this time. It felt like I did when I was just sitting on it, but feels fine when riding. Should have talked to them first, but no one in the group mentioned that they had Mustangs till I saw their bikes. Sorry for the headaches.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't find a used one because when people buy them they keep them, LOL. They are that comfy.
I am really hoping to find one that someone took off when they sold or traded their bike. I did find one on Craigslist, but after one email from the seller, I never heard from him again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts