Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that these are the two most recommended replacements for my Classic 900.
My wife complains the standard seat is too thin and hard.
I find the driver portion too low.
The Corbin is beautiful, but not sure it would address these issues??? Comments please.

The Mustang looks thicker....but kind of changes the visual flow of the bike.
What do you who have tried both suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mustang Seat

When I replace my stock seat with a mustang touring it changed the riding position. Seemed to move me forward a inch or two and higher about an inch. Being 6'1' moving up higher did not bother me but the forward position takes some getting used to. After haveing it three weeks and putting a thousand miles on I have come to like the new position. The longer you ride the more comfortable it seems to get.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I replace my stock seat with a mustang touring it changed the riding position. Seemed to move me forward a inch or two and higher about an inch. Being 6'1' moving up higher did not bother me but the forward position takes some getting used to. After haveing it three weeks and putting a thousand miles on I have come to like the new position. The longer you ride the more comfortable it seems to get.
I have to agree with Boffo. There is a break in period, although I didn't notice the move forward as much as the move up. The passenger seat is designed with the same technology as the saddle so its a great ride for everyone. Overall, its a great seat. I hear the Corbin's are good too; although they seem to be a bit more expensive and I hear they are harder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased the Saddleman seat. The stock seat on my 09 900 classic LT was as good as sitting on some rocks. The Saddleman took about 700 miles to break in but now it feels like you are riding down the road in a lazy boy. It does however move you foward about an inch.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I love my Mustang seat. I've put 400 miles on it in a day and no issues at all. With my stock seat I'd be dying after an hour of riding. My only negative which all black seats would have is it gets incredibly hot if sitting in the sun this time of year. Anybody use seat covers to eliminate this problem and if so, what and where?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
What can i say i love my corbin and maybe you do sit lower dont know but you may sit back a bit more and for the rear passenger a whole lot of nice padding. this seat is more of a saddle type seat like a horse saddle and for style very sharp. is there anyone else who has a corbin? Most your harley guys only buy corbin.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had my bikes seat mod at meancitycycles.com for only $140 plus shipping. I love my seat now which really sucked before.

Dan
flw: Would you be kind enough to post a picture of your seat after the mod? I'm particularly interested in how (if) the overall width of the seat is altered by the mod.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered my Mustang seat from Dennis Kirk. Great price.

Now the wait for delivery.

I'll report after we've had it for a while.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My only negative which all black seats would have is it gets incredibly hot if sitting in the sun this time of year. Anybody use seat covers to eliminate this problem and if so, what and where?????
I carry a light colored towel to throw over mine. Seems to help some.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vulcan seat

I didn't have the money for a new seat but purchased an Airhawk pneumatic seat cusion. It worked for me, just completed a 650 mile trip and found the seat comfort much improved. Quality built cusion.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mustang arrived yesterday.
Went out for a 2 hour ride with my wife.
We both love it....no more getting bounced out of my seat over expansion joints.
No more painful jolt from slap back.
Today I'll pop in the backrest and try that.
Beautil saddle and very comfortable.
We are both extremely happy.
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and input.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another thing to do as well is consider replacing the springs with Progressive springs. I did this on my old Honda Aero, and on my Vulcan 500 and it makes a big difference in terms of stability and handling.

Also, passenger floorboards are a really nice thing to have if you have pegs in the back by all means do that. I did that on my 500 and my wife is now very happy, she feels like she is a queen back there now :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup..floor boards are next on the list

and I think I am addicted to the backrest on my Mustang.....I've never felt so supported and comfy

·
Registered
441 Posts
Another thing to do as well is consider replacing the springs with Progressive springs. I did this on my old Honda Aero, and on my Vulcan 500 and it makes a big difference in terms of stability and handling.

Also, passenger floorboards are a really nice thing to have if you have pegs in the back by all means do that. I did that on my 500 and my wife is now very happy, she feels like she is a queen back there now :)
I bought Kawi FB's with my LT at the point of sale. She only rode it once with the pegs and ever since with the boards. She absolutely loves the FB's. She is wanting me to get a Mustang seat though. Now I don't mind my seat especially comparing it to my VN750. I was lucky to ride 45 minutes and not be in discomfort. I rode 250 miles today and am not sore at all. What I am reading from the Mustang seat owners is I will really enjoy the upgrade. I will have to get the matching back rest though :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts