Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom SE

I bought a Mustang Daytripper saddle last year...ditching the OEM PITA saddle.

This year I decided to get the OEM backrest/luggage rack so my wife can ride 2 up. Upon installation I see that the bracket posts for the backrest cover the end of the saddle by about 1/2 inch. on the rear corners.

This makes removal of the saddle impossible once the backrest/luggage rack are installed, and I can't get the saddle on after the backrest is on.

The saddle has a full plastic support shell underneath the cover and padding <sigh>

I thought about popping the rivets, removing the cover and padding, cutting the plastic, then re attaching the cover but I'm sure I'd f--- that up and ruin the saddle.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Are the posts for the backrest "under" the rear pillion part or does the backrest "pad" prevent you from lifting the seat once it's down?

if the latter you can probably make an extension for the backrest to raise the pad up a few inches (someone here has a home made extension) thus allowing the swing of the seat upwards to remove.

if the former did you order the right seat for the custom and not the classic (no offense intended)?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hmm... you may have to take some measurements and see if one of the aftermarket solutions will work. I had no problems with the Mustang Wide Touring and the OEM sissy bar on the Classic LT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the posts for the backrest "under" the rear pillion part or does the backrest "pad" prevent you from lifting the seat once it's down?

if the latter you can probably make an extension for the backrest to raise the pad up a few inches (someone here has a home made extension) thus allowing the swing of the seat upwards to remove.

if the former did you order the right seat for the custom and not the classic (no offense intended)?
The seat is correct. The pillion would be held down by the posts of the oem backrest (if the seat was put on first). The posts catch the edge of the seat pillion. The padding can be pressed to fit, but the plastic frame of the seat cannot.

If the backrest is put on first, the seat will not go on because the rear of the seat will not go past the mounting posts for the backrest.

The backrest pad is not in issue,and was not mentioned for that reason.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have no fear, some DIY solutions are (as usual) right here on the forum:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22954

I don't have the talent/patience needed to modify my Mustang Vintage seat as shown in the above thread, so I still don't have a backrest/sissybar because I have yet to find one in black that I like besides the OEM part...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve900c

That link was right on time. Did the mod today...sweet.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Mustang Sissy Bar Pad

Not sure if this is what your looking for but I recently installed the over sized mustang sissy bar pad on my 900 Classic LT, here's a pic.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts